Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I don’t wanna blow up my spot on these dead gay comedy forums, but the closest place I can witness totality is northwestern Pennsylvania, so I was planning to camp in Allegheny national forest (free backcountry camping ftw) for a night or two and then skip over to somewhere (not sure yet) within the path of totality Monday. I know the cloud cover will be a coin toss, but it’s my only option. Great idea? Terrible idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Ended up in Allegheny National Forest,
found a decent little backcountry campsite within the path of totality about a half mile south of the PA/NY border along a deserted part of the North Country Scenic Trail. Judging by the fire pit we were the first guests of the season. Even when all the hotels are booked, National forest campers stay winning. THEY CAN’T STOP YOU FROM USING THIS ONE FREE TRICK.

Got overcast overnight and started raining as we were packing out. Hopped over to Willow Bay boat ramp and napped under the clouds expecting the whole event to be a snooze fest. Woke up half an hour before totality to dozens of tailgaters cheering because the sun peeked out for a second. The clouds parted at pretty much the exact moment for totality, it couldn’t have been timed better. Everyone went nuts. I peeked at the corona for a second and honestly I was not prepared for how that poo poo looked in person. Sort of terrifying in a way.

As such the gods have signaled that America can stop her blood sacrifices. Sure, the guys who catch the severed heads at the base of the pyramid will be out of work. But you know, you have to break a few eggs, etc.

The backcountry camping thing was the absolute perfect way to lead up to something like this. Really made it seem like and adventure.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 11, 2024

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Personally I thought it was metal when an unfailing fixture of the sky, singular giver of life and center of our celestial order suddenly became a impossibly deep black mass with a huge menacing corona

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 11, 2024

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I had a brief moral debate about whether I could threaten to ban people who had the wrong experience, but not specify what that was and not ban anyone, but I worried some folks might get upset at the joke.

could I get a scathing commemorative sixer for having the wrong eclipse experience, thanks