Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Man, I live IN the red lines, maybe...50-70 miles from the blue line...but I fear it will be cloudy. It's April in Vermont, so...yeah.

But it seems crazy to travel somewhere else, right? But...clouds...idk, gotta think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MeatloafCat posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised things are looking good for the 8th in Maine. Too bad there's a winter storm watch with up to 18 inches forecast for Thursday. I hope they didn't put the snow plows away.

Same here in VT. It might keep snowing into Friday, and hey, guess what day most of the tourists are probably traveling up here on?! Multiple reasons to avoid the roads all weekend long.

The state is expected to get between 60-200,000 people. How can that range be so big?! 200,000 is almost a THIRD of our state's population, and most of them will close to where I live in Chittenden County, some in the more central Washington County, and some will travel to the southern parts of Franklin or (especially) Grand Isle counties, because you can't forget the allure or an eclipse on a lakefront or island (even if it it "just" a lake island)

Definitely going to try and WFH Thursday and Friday. Not going anywhere if I can help it Saturday and Sunday, and maybe go to a nearby park on the lakeshore on Monday.

I'm surrounded by areas tourists will be in, but I think my actual neighborhood, being ALL residential, no hotels (and hopefully not THAT many AirBnB rentals), only like two restaurants that aren't basically just take out, no bars, etc... wont' get as much traffic/people.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Star Man posted:

People will need to park and expect people to be blocking your driveway.

Eh, extremely unlikely. I am so far out from the city center in a neighborhood of 90% single family homes, and it's basically a giant cul-de-sac. It's not on the way to anywhere, and there's no place in the area worth seeing the eclipse from.

I GUESS if, like, all my neighbors have rented out rooms and/or all have a lot of friends/family visiting, maybe there will be less street-parking than usual.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I just realized that the company I work at (not FOR, but AT cause I'm an IT contractor) has two physical offices, and both are in the path of totality...one here in northern Vermont, and one in Dallas.

Kind of amazing odds they're both in the path of totality. The haven't announced anything "official" that they're doing for the event, but they have been handing out eclipse glasses at both locations and I think it's understood very little work will get done for the entirety of the eclipse, and NOTHING will get done for the time of totality. But, again, not OFFICIALLY closing the business or anything (which they would NEVER do, it's an old-school style "if business CAN be done that day, business WILL be done that day" type of place/industry.)

I feel bad for the people who will HAVE to stay inside to work, like the few people they'll still need to man the call center phone lines and such.

With such a small window, I don't even think they'll be able to do any kind of "split shift" where half the people take the first two minutes of totality and the other half takes the back two minutes. It would take that long to get out in/out of the building.

Anyway, with the potential for clouds in western NY, I'm wondering if that will drive more people here to VT? You'd THINK they'd just only go as far as the Adirondacks where it's predicted to start getting sunny, but I could see people from, say, the capital region of NY or further south deciding they'd rather be in VT than that part of NY. Having lived a couple years in the Adirondacks... I don't blame 'em.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Double posting to say GOOD loving LUCK to the people trying to travel to VT today or tomorrow:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

I’m planning on heading up to my in-laws place in vt. I wonder what % the total population of the state will go up this weekend.

As low as maybe just like 10-15%, but maybe as much as 30-35% more.

Despite the massive snow dump last night and today, road crews did their loving jobs with aplumb. The clearest I've ever seen them that quickly.

Definitely must have had some pressure from the higher ups to get it done ASAP for tourists starting to arrive.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm trying not to read to much into an earthquake happening three days before an eclipse, a day after a massive snow storm...but if no I see locusts or some first born getting slaughtered this weekend, imma start to get nervous.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Maybe get some xanax then because two major cicada blooms are happening in the midwest in May.. estimates are up hundreds of thousands per acre. These two broods haven't synced like this since 1803.

Gonna be one noisy insect orgy in Illinois.

Thankfully (so far) locusts don't spread into New England. I'm sure with climate change that's...uhh...changing but since they're on long year cycles it must take even longer to notice cicada movement.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

It has been surprisingly dead in the Burlington downtown the past couple nights. I think the weird combination of locals not wanting to go out because of the assumption it would be all tourists, but perhaps the type of tourists who are eclipse chasing aren't big "going out" types, and the large snow storm maybe affecting people's plans (even though by Thursday afternoon most roads were fine,) just made a weird melange of "not as many people as expected"? Not sure? Or a lot of the tourists are with families so can't really go out late?'

Though to be fair, I'm not out NOW, but my girlfriend was out last night till late and it was dead, and there seemed to be less people than usual even earlier in the evening when I was out around 6-8.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I can't believe the weather/sky is so good damned good here in Vermont...in early April? And after a week where got rain, a foot of snow, and massively overcast days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Absolutely perfect whether in western VT. Day started to get some clouds, but then they basically all were gone by 3:15 ish.

We also had that cool red solar flare on the bottom.

One of the coolest things ever. Wasn't able to remotely get a decent pic with my phone, so just experienced it.