Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I mean, I'm actively looking for roads that don't go anywhere. And if I am, others are too.

Probably going to end up stopping along farm country roads and hoping I don't get run off by angry locals. Might not be the best plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Sticking with Southern Illinois, hope those high clouds don't wreck things. At Murphysboro lake State Park now, still pretty empty. Good luck everyone.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

GunnerJ posted:

What brand?

I bought some "Eclipser HD" theoretically from American Paper Optics last summer. Got a notice from Amazon on Thursday that they may be counterfeit.

I thought buying that far in advance would avoid this poo poo. Lesson learned: don't buy safety gear from Amazon stop buying poo poo on Amazon.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
This is looking great in southern IL, one hour to go.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Went wonderfully clear at the last minute, and that was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. I am absolutely a convert to the "you need to go see a total eclipse" team. Once if the coolest things I have ever seen.

Oh and having a timer app was great too, reminded me to look for shadow bands- saw them rippling away in the grass both before and after.

Raised by Hamsters fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Petey posted:

it's sort of wild how hard it was to convince my dad, a lifelong space and tech lover, to drive 1-2 hrs north for it. now he's persuaded. but it really is hard to explain.

At least in my case, I had seen "an eclipse" before. There was one in grade school, hit maybe 50% in my area, that we all went out to look at. And I think another one or two as an adult but both were clouded over. Something that's neat, and sure I'll stick my head out and take a look - maybe the light gets a little weird. But not something I'd plan a vacation around, or specially make time and travel for.

I now think of "a totality" as an entirely separate event from "an eclipse". It's so different that I find myself mentally severing the association and placing them in their own bucket of things. As you said, really hard to explain to anyone who hasn't seen it. Something that photo and video "really does't capture" is a hard sell, maybe even moreso now than in the past?

That said,

Holy crap dude, I very seriously want a print of that.

edit - well that'll learn me not to refresh before posting. Yeah, this.

bawfuls posted:

I wonder if the digital age and prolific access to video and still images plays a part in the difficulty now. It’s hard for people to believe that something exists which is beautiful beyond description AND there are no images or videos of it which accurately reproduce the effect. You can say “oh you just have to see it for yourself!” and people will think that’s the same as a beautiful sunset or the Grand Canyon or Yosemite etc. Sure, better in person but a great photograph is still pretty good.But it’s not, there’s definitely something more to an eclipse and the sight of the sun’s corona glowing brilliantly in a darkened sky.

In an earlier age where you couldn’t simply pull up a spectacular image of anything and everything instantly on a device in your pocket, I wonder if people would take more seriously the words of friends who testified to the unique majesty of an eclipse.

Raised by Hamsters fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 10, 2024