Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm headed for Mazatlán. Direct flight prices have been awful for over a year so I'm flying to Puerto Vallarta for dirt cheap then taking an intercity bus.

I've been planning to do this for over a decade and I'm freaking out about it being so close now. Hard to wrap my head around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Spectral Debt posted:

Anyway, how are you feeling about the forecast?

I think it's going to be okay. It still seems to have one of the lowest chances of cloud cover for anywhere along the path, and rumor has it from other circles I'm in say that the clouds this time of year tend to be the wispy cirrus type which apparently often dissipate as the temperature change happens. I didn't bother making alternate plans simply because it's supposed to be one of the best locations to begin with. Worst case scenario I travel again and then in 20 years wait for the shadow to pass over my house.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

In Mazatlán they're shutting down the malécon that runs along the beach to cars at 4am to make room for the crowds, because everybody is going to try and be there.

I have a SSE facing outdoor walkway at my hotel so I'm content to stay there. I don't want anyone bumping or knocking over my camera set-up anyway.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mazatlán had a forecast for 80% cloud cover today, weather apps all say partly cloudy. Someone from the eclipse chasing group on Facebook that I'm in just posted a photo they took from the beach and it's just some wispy cirrus clouds.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Flew above and through the clouds over Mazatlán at noon today. I could see the ground nearly the entire time, they were thin and wispy.

Then we missed our bus from Puerto Vallarta because loving Westjet was 2 hours late because their Dreamliner broke down and it was replaced with some piece of junk Swoop plane they bought for cheap. The flight attendants were pissed about it too, one of them told everyone on board to contact Westjet and complain.

Anyway, we secured the last 2 seats on a later bus so we should still make it. We just won't be at our hotel until like 1 am.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Same here. My hotel has south facing walkways and terraces, I scoped them out and I think it's a great spot that keeps all my gear safe from crowds.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Reporting from Mazatlán: The cirrus clouds got thicker as the temperature dropped but that was still loving AWESOME!!!!!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

2044 goes right over my house, I better still be kicking when it happens.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So did anyone else see shadow bands at their location? We did very faintly in Mazatlán, about 4 to 5 minutes before totality. It helped that we were on a terrace with white tile.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My husband and I actually enjoyed what the clouds did in Mazatlán, they had a strange texture and watching them develop as the temperature dropped then dissipate as it warmed up again was fascinating. We weren't even mad about it. It was just so neat to see what effect the moon's shadow has on everything. The eerie loss of light and colour too. We had about 80% coverage in 2017 and even then we noticed it and thought it was a neat experience.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

devmd01 posted:

My daughter made sure that her favorite stuffie was safe too.

:hellyeah:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mantle posted:

I was looking at this one as well as the 2044 Alberta eclipse and both of them look to be very late in the day, close to sunset. Does anyone know how that affects visibility?

It can vary but should generally be good. August is our prime supercell season, with huge thunderstorms, but they tend to be around 1-5pm, although they can be later. I've seen some killer sunset rainbows here. Sunset is about 8:45pm, and can either be clear if the storms were earlier or possibly cloudy if the storms were later. Calgary gets the most sunshine hours per year in the whole country, which will help. And having the Rockies on the horizon as the scenery during a golden hour eclipse would be loving amazing. I already feel like that one is going to be a big deal, especially because people will also use it as an excuse to visit Banff National Park.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

There was the tiniest sliver of a waxing crescent moon this evening at sunset, and I'm not going to lie, I feel different about the moon now. I can't describe it. I just felt a new feeling.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I just experience life really intensely, it's not just the eclipse. I'm awestruck and dumbfounded by so many things in the natural world. I'm well known for freaking out over anything and everything. I've been made fun of and insulted for getting too excited over things. People have different levels of reaction, and that's fine.