Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

going to my brother in law's parents house for this poo poo, i lived in oregon in 2017 so saw that one and it ruled. can't wait. hoping it inspires some scientific curiosity in my nephews (right now all they care about is minecraft and five nights at freddie's).

we're all heading out sunday afternoon and spending the night to hopeully avoid some of the traffic nightmare, i left where i was in oregin 6 hours after the eclipse ended and it still took 6 hours to make a 2 and a half hour drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ymgve posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/science/solar-eclipse-cloud-cover-forecast-map.html

This is making me reconsider where to watch the eclipse, which sucks because I paid for a train ride that's non-refundable

my fear is it being cloudy. that said, this far out you cannot place too much trust in the forecast, by thursday it should be more reliable

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it's still too early for me to know for sure, but things currently don't look great for my original intended viewing spot in watertown. i might need to just drive north and sleep in my car overnight cuz ain't no way i'm trying to get up there monday morning.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Red Fructidor posted:

We were planning on driving up to the Adirondacks Friday morning, presumably getting there late afternoon. But have no idea wtf to make of this snow now, with some forecasts pushing it out through Saturday. Does anyone have any insight into roads how quickly roads are usually plowed in that area?

Anyway, glad I found this thread, thanks for posting.

adirondack roads are not gonna be plowed well at all and there will be a lot of snow on them. don't put yourself in danger.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ProperCauldron posted:

PBS released this nice lil hype doc about the eclipse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTfQpdTD_3M

Around 2 AM Monday I'm planning to leave nyc and drive north for hours towards Watertown. I'll check weather and environs when I'm close. I'm also not going to stress myself because it's a chill somber event.

FWIW I reached 2017 totality by driving overnight to Tennessee. Found a nearby campsite in the morning. The small town was crowded, lots of people directing lots of traffic. We ended up watching from a high school parking lot field with many others. Leaving the event was far worse--people arrive for days and all leave at once.

A lot of the warnings about traveling and booking places to stay is centered around families trying to stay indoors. If you're flexible, you're fine.

i'm hopefully gonna be in watertown as well (forecast currently looks good, hope it stays that way). there's a viewing party at thompson park but i might just stay at my inlaws' house to watch since they're out on a farm and getting in to watertown proper likely won't be easy even from just outside of town on monday.

if it does start looking like cloudiness is gonna be an issue, i plan on driving north to plattsburgh sunday night instead, and just sleeping in my car in a graveyard or something.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ugh the forecast for where i'm supposed to be keeps yo-yoing between mostly sunny and mostly cloudy. i hate this.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

in watertown, it is looking like we will have significant high-level clouds, but it should still be visible. prolly won't be able to see the corona tho.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the show in watertown was ok, it got cloudy but they thinned out a bit right before totality so we were able to see it through them a lot better than i actually thought we would only like 5 minutes prior

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i jokingly mentioned to my sister that we should go to egypt for the 2027 eclipse but now we're seriously considering it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

George H.W. oval office posted:

A Nile river cruise is fun and seeing an eclipse during it would be neat for sure. Aswan\Luxor is insanely hot during the summer though but hey you won't have to deal with a single cloud because they won't exist!

we've always wanted to go to egypt anyway, so it seems like the best possible excuse to go. prolly spend a week or so there so we can properly check out thebes, maybe try and put together an itenerary that includes other sites and stay a bit longer.

this, of course, assumes we can afford to actually go.