Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The totality path crosses through the spot where my wife and I got married. We have a cabin rented and will be taking our kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MoonCricket posted:

I am excited for this eclipse and I should have did this research 6 months+ ago. Looking for a camp spot in the Okla/Ark/MO/Ind areas. I am looking for a place to camp with 2 relatively small pull behind campers....Sunday before the eclipse to Tuesday or whatever the minimum will be. We will be coming south from AL and need 1 with full power/water at a minimum and the other power or what is available. Looks like spots are getting tight so hoping we are looking soon enough. We're hoping to find a spot in the path to set up and chill....about 6 of us total, adults/kids. Any suggestions much appreciated

Buffalo Outdoor Center, Buffalo Natl River campgrounds like Steel Creek and Lost Valley, dispersed National Forest camping (no power) in the Ozark-St Francis Natl Forest, all in Arkansas.

It's honestly a huge swath of Arkansas. There's an RV park in Russellville that I lived in for a summer way back, it's right on the lake and really nice. Outdoor Living Center, I think it's called. Just a hop skip and a jump up into the Ozarks from there, but I expect traffic will be pretty bad. I'd avoid the big Ouachita National Forest recreation areas on Lakes Hamilton, Ouachita, and Degray, and Beaver, Norfork, and Greers Ferry in the Ozarks if I was choosy, just because of the mass of humanity they'll concentrate. But they'd probably still be pretty cool if there happened to be spots there.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 14, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

xzzy posted:

Researching this event has me discovering that Texas is pretty horrible when it comes to public lands. There's basically nothing in the totality path for the entire state.. a few small state parks and and it's a near guarantee those are going to be jam packed with day trippers. Well, everything along the route is going to be jam packed. But I feel like Texas is going to be a step above due to proximity to some enormous cities. That happened in 2017 so it's gonna happen again in 2024.

I'm thinking the situation will force me into Arkansas where there's at least some national forest. All dense forest with limited clearings but unfortunately the further north you go the worse the weather trends get so that might be my sweet spot.

Any locals in here that got feedback? Wish I'd found this thread sooner because I've been trying to figure out a plan since spring.

If you get on it right this minute, White Rock Recreation Area in the Ozark National Forest might still have spots. They opened reservations on Saturday. The closest spots within the path of totality to that campground are about 20 miles to the east on Forest Service roads along Arkansas Hwy 23, in the Cass to Turner Bend area.

I've got family who work for the Forest Service, and they are preparing for basically a complete shutdown of roads and public land through that part of Arkansas. Their projection is over a million people and they anticipate the roads to be gridlocked. This is the biggest event for public lands around there in decades, maybe ever. It'll bring more people into Arkansas in a few days time than Hurricane Katrina did.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 13, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

xzzy posted:

Checked it out on recreation.gov, and they have the 7th-10th blocked out with "closure: administration". So I guess they have other designs for that area. Hopefully they don't start closing down roads too as my current plan is to find a turnout and chill out for a couple days.

I did the 2017 eclipse in Oregon, and it was bad, but it wasn't that bad. Granted the number of dense cities close to the Ozarks is much greater than eastern Oregon, but the advantage in this case is that the biggest cities in the area are also in the totality path. I appreciate the forest service putting in effort to prepare but the simple problem is no one can predict how many are going to show up, this type of event doesn't happen often enough. They definitely need to prepare for the worst but I suspect things will be mostly fine.

The annular last month had the same issue, they planned the best they could and a lot of people did show up but it wasn't 36 hours of gridlock. I had empty roads that afternoon as I headed towards my next campsite. Every ranger had boxes of unused viewing glasses.

Fun snapshot from 2017: this is the Madras region in Oregon about 15 minutes after totality:

Try this link: https://whiterockmountain.com/cometakeapeakwhiterockmountain/

Yeah, I genuinely hope it's not the crowd they're preparing for. I don't want the Ozarks hosed up by the amount of trash and poo poo that would bring. The rainbow gathering was there about 15 years ago and there's at least one wilderness area campsite that had watermelons growing in it for years after because of those trashy fuckers.

One of the things about roads in that part of the country is that there are very few easy detours in any given location unless you are comfortable improvising on dirt backroads, which may be in pretty poo poo condition in April. One wreck or stranded big rig on a switchback can lock up a whole lot of through traffic for hours. It's happened to me a bunch, and I've also gotten stuck in bad mud in a few places around there trying to avoid highways.

Also check out Shores Lake Recreation Area, it's a cool little spot to camp, and a similar distance from the path. The Mulberry River between Cass and Oark has a couple campgrounds. Redding and Wolf Pen Recreation Areas are my favorites. Nearby, Turner Bend Outfitters has a little privately-owned campground, but they're probably booked already. Good place to stop for a sandwich and a poke in the river if you're passing through though. I haven't been to most of those spots since I was working forestry in college, but it stays pretty well maintained. I've been around the Mulberry River much more recently and all public access and campgrounds looked great.
Farther south and into the path is Long Pool Recreation Area on Big Piney Creek. I was there in August and the campground is in good shape. Really pretty creek and good swimming hole. East of there on Hwy 7 is Moccasin Gap Recreation Area. It's ok, nothing special. Not a lot of open space around. In Russellville proper, which is closest to the longest period of totality, is Lake Dardanelle State Park. Very well built up state park on the Arkansas River, probably heavy on RV traffic. Lots of space to wander around with kids, plenty of birds and boats and stuff to look at, but not remote at all. South of Russellville and I-40, check out Cove Lake Recreation Area and other places around Mt. Magazine State Park, and Mt. Nebo State Park. These will probably be some of the best viewing areas since they're about as high in elevation as you can get with a lot of open space.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 14, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I hope it don't rain.