Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
I am so very lucky to be within the totality of the '24 eclipse. I plan on driving down to the nearby city of Vincennes, IN to stay with a friend and watch it on the grounds of the George Rogers Clark Memorial. Looked at the route and the exact center of the totality will pass directly over the memorial following the Wabash River.

I was similarly lucky to take some time off of work and drive to Columbia, MO to see the 2017 one with some friends. It's a near religious experience. I can see why ancient folks saw it as an omen or a sign from the gods. Well worth the experience to see one. I also appreciated the local radio station playing Blinded By The Light right after it concluded. But yeah, cameras on a phone or special gear really can't capture it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug

PokeJoe posted:

i went to Champaign today to cut time off my morning transit. if I can make it to Effingham in 5 hours I'm in, should be easy

I live in that area and folks in Effingham are unhappy they might be just on the edge. You're safer driving a bit further south, say around Newton, to ensure you get a solid view. If 57 is way too busy heading home, state roads (not US-45) are a reasonable bet.

People around here are renting plots of their yards for $50 for the tourists streaming in last night. I'm just heading to my parents place in the country and sitting in a field partaking in....legal substances. Turn off the light cause it's night on the sun.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
Absolutely clear and perfect viewing from between Effingham IL & Vincennes IN.

My father was awestruck. This was his first in nearly 70 years of life.

I had a great time photographing it, albeit my camera is stubborn enough that they aren't newspaper-worthy.

I feel privileged to be able to see both this and the 2017 one in similar conditions. Now onwards to 2045!