Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

It's still a bit early but I have been watching this guy's page of model projections since he put it up a few days ago. It has been consistently showing clouds/precip in Texas/Arkansas but the models seem to be increasingly confident about a clear day in New England, which would be the opposite of typical April weather.

I'm wondering if the models are expecting a springtime severe weather-type setup in Texas. If so, those storms tend to start bubbling around mid-afternoon and it could be the models are just overplaying the chance of clouds from that, since totality in Texas is around ~1:30-1:45PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

It’s still real early but it seems like the very latest model runs are being a bit more progressive in pushing the storm system east at eclipse time. Looks a little bit better for Texas (especially north Texas) and a bit worse for Indiana/Ohio. SE Missouri is starting to look like an option in that region as the models suggest it would be in the post-frontal clearing.

Of course all of this can vary wildly if the timing of the system slows down again or continues to shift earlier.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm hopefully gonna be in watertown as well (forecast currently looks good, hope it stays that way). there's a viewing party at thompson park but i might just stay at my inlaws' house to watch since they're out on a farm and getting in to watertown proper likely won't be easy even from just outside of town on monday.

What up Watertown gang, that was my destination but at this point I think I'm just going to punch through and keep going to QC. It seems like it's clear there across every single model at this point. The cloudiness in upstate NY looks like it might be the high clouds that stream in ahead of a weather front so maybe not a dealbreaker for the eclipse, but if I'm driving that way might as well add on a few more hours and get further ahead of the system.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Quebec rocked, no clouds anywhere near the eclipse.

I found myself involuntarily breathing hard and my heart pounding during totality, it was a completely unconscious thing I didn’t even realize I was doing. Some lizard brain reaction type stuff.

E: I turned around briefly and saw shadow bands a few minutes beforehand but was a bit distracted by what was going on in the sky

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/burgwx/status/1778123500907368644

Surprised how far out the effect is measurable. Looks like it shows up as far away as Colorado and Florida.