Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The model simulation cloud cover forecast for essentially all of Ontario is looking increasingly pessimistic. It's looking like driving a couple hours would just be a waste of time.

EDIT: Maybe somewhere south of Montreal would be better, although there's no obvious spot.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I drove about 2 hours to the park I Internet-scouted just east of Cornwall, ON (taking Hwy 417 to Hwy 138). The conditions were good, there were a lot of light clouds, but they weren't thick enough to block the sun. I was surprised how few people were at the park, just a handful of cars. I didn't have any glasses, but I borrowed a welding mask and face shield, which did the job.

Just before totality, it was strange to see the light just getting weaker. The quality is very different from sunset. I got about two minutes of totality. A very strange feeling seeing it dark, yet the horizon brightly lit. My phone's camera was too much rear end to capture the event, but I did capture the dimming light and the darkness of the world (as well as two planets which became visible).

I had the idea to take Hwy 401 to Hwy 416 back north. Unfortunately, everyone else had the exact same idea; the offramp was completely stopped, so it ended up taking me 4 hours to get back home, weaving my way through back roads. Still, definitely worth it.