Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Star Man posted:

I'm this close to diverting to southern Illinois at this point. I just don't have the scratch to spend the night somewhere and sleeping in my car would make me paranoid all night and tired.

I can point out places with 24 hours showers and bathrooms and about a billion quiet county roads you could nap on near Mount Vernon. It's my home town and I know the area very well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

The drive down from Chicago was chill, just got in.

I am not looking forward to the one lanes on return. Thinking of just taking State highways back instead of 57

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

SirPablo posted:

Made it to Herrin. Evaluating if maybe I'll end up being two counties too far south.

I will be heading back to Minneapolis, any tips on routes? I'm thinking move perpendicular as much as I can at first just to maximize getting away. I'd be pretty happy if I could get to Peoria before sunset.

In the past I've used highway 4 from Mascoutah to get to 55 north and had a good experience. I have no clue how traffic patterns are gonna be though

Edit 127 n from Pinkneyville to 55 also looks pretty good, less west bound movement

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 7, 2024

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

tarlibone posted:

I plan on parking my vehicle in the overflow parking area near where we'll be taking in the show, but I don't plan on moving my vehicle until I'm ready to go home.

What's the cycling scene like in Mt. Vernon?

Just saw this, but not good at all for cycling. Everyone drives slow as hell but there is no dedicated cycling infra or especially scenic areas.

Because of that you'll also be sharing a road with people not used to bikes that will either think you are a prick, or short circuit and refuse to pass out of fear lol

If you were near cedarhurst I'd recommend taking old union to the North West back around the cemetery to old centralia road for a decent mix of scenery, good enough roads and hills without a ton of traffic.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

tarlibone posted:

My main reason for bringing it would've been to run and get food or something. The idea of couriering some Bojangles in my panniers back to the vehicle sounded fun, and I believe I could've done it around these parts: it's not too far, the roads don't look too insane, etc.

At that rate you'd be just fine to take 27th Street South past veterans and then cut back east to Brownsville. 27th is in good shape and wide enough and the rest of the trip isn't major roads so that would be a very chill ride all told. There are a couple zigzags like to 28th after the city park, but it's a straightforward route.

Don't mean to discourage you!

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

We are somehow back at home in Chicago. Were able to take 57n without many issues at all.

HOLY FUCKIN poo poo THOUGH WOAAAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Hands down the the most beautiful awe inspiring thing I've ever seen. I got a weird anxiety as the lighting changed and things got desaturated. The final moments until totality when you could start to see planets was moving and strange and wonderful.

Then when totality hit and I took off the glasses I instantly flushed with emotion and laughed and cried a bit. Having the center of the sun be the darkest thing in the sky is just not something your brain can process. Amazing

I feel so lucky to have shared that with my wife and good friends. And y'all tbh, it's been a fun thread too participate in. Looking forward to more pics and trip reports!