Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Dr Strangepants posted:

Last time I was at 99.8% totality and let me tell you, 0.2% sunlight is still pretty bright.
Yes - it's total or it's not. Eclipses are binary that way.

Very cool. I was hoping someone would make a thread for this. I am a big fan of total solar eclipses, and this should have been #4 for me (out of six I've considered or almost witnessed), but I'll be happy with #3. As everybody else has stated, yes - it's amazing. I tell people that it's the greatest special effect (that's not fake - but real) that you can see on this planet. Yes you need to get in the 115-mile wide path. Do it!

Saw July 1991 in Baja, and it was spectacular. Really hooked after that. Sadly all my other friends at the time went to Hawaii for that eclipse and they really didn't see it because of clouds. Saw the 2017 on the Pacific Ocean in Oregon... that was dicey had to drive 40 minutes or so on the day of - foggy morning. Also amazing.

Then was denied what would have been the best to date in Argentina December 2020 because of the pandemic. (I had planned for 2 years to be able to make it. But I didn't have enough time to quarantine in the country and still get to see it). And now I hope to come to Texas next April.

On the heels of the 1991 eclipse, I wanted to go solo to Bolivia / Paraguay in 1994, but my friends talked me out of it. A cocaine war I think was happening at the time and a solo gringo was probably not the best visitor there.

So I have to ask, anybody get to see the December 14, 2020 (2:10 duration) eclipse here? I'm happy for you, if I am still bummed about that one.

Here's 2017 with my sigma lens - it's OK. The eclipse goes by really quick (especially if you want to shoot it).
Eclipse

I may want to hit some people up on Texas and the landscape and weather. I found this about San Antonio. I am wanting to go due west of the big city.
San Antonio

Excited :supaburn:

Djimi fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I'm going to buy my ticket today for SFO to DFW (Cheaper than AUS and I need a car for the whole trip and they're not too far apart). I should have bought it a while ago, it's a bit steeper than I was hoping. I have been on the fence about making the trip because of the weather, and with getting time off from work.

My old friend who grew up across from my house in my home town will put me up for my week there (confirmed yesterday—yay :v: ) . I'm hoping to be up a bit on some elevation, and based on the weather, and will really want to be on the centerline, no matter where exactly I see it.

Ultimately I'm getting excited though for total eclipse #3 (should have been eclipse #4grrrr.)

I'm resigned that my chances of not experiencing it are fairly high, for the first time.
Landing on 4/3 and leaving 4/10, Wednesday to Wednesday.

Is anyone here from or going to Texas with some tips? Or have plans? Besides layovers at DFW this will be my first visit to the state, so I will be having a good time just being there, and any and all recommendations, warnings, the good the bad and the ugly — please tell me about them, or DM me.

Djimi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 3, 2024

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

devmd01 posted:

Sadly it was overcast
This is what I keep perseverating on....

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I just found out that a friend that used to live in the small town I live in now, moved to Burnet, TX, a couple years ago. So I have an invite to crash / or visit there. I will at least be able to have options. He's watching in his yard, but I told him we should climb up a hill to get a better vantage.
So anyway—getting excited :dance:

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Porfiriato posted:

It's still a bit early but I have been watching this guy's page of model projections since he put it up a few days ago.
Thank you for this. I fly this coming Wednesday to TX for the week. I am trying to keep my hopes up, but yesterday morning I spent a couple hours digging up the same bleak predictions and let my friends in Texas I'm staying with know.

Here's hoping my Austin friend is right who wrote me yesterday, "Even on cloudy days the sun often peaks through."
But currently a third of an inch or more in many locations of Texas on 4/8.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Star Man posted:

This will be my reaction if the skies are cloudy in Texas on eclipse day:
Not just cloudy. Raining.

Possible silver lining - I live where thunderstorms are non-existent (nearly) - maybe I can enjoy that and take some photos/video.
And there's the 6 days not about the eclipse.

Djimi fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 1, 2024

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Star Man posted:

At this point, I think anything that anyone has planned on doing, so has everyone else.
Nihil novi sub sole..? :smugdog:

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Looked at all the weather data this morning when I woke up at my friend's in Texas (Austin)—not that I was ever planning on seeing it there but to visit him and his wife, which was great. And I visited my other friend yesterday in Hill Country. No really hilly for my NorCal sensibilities, but good to see him.

I remembered that another friend lived in Memphis and figured he may be going somewhere to Arkansas.
I drove 700 miles today. And he's all in, he saw the 2017 eclipse at the Kentucky border.

Staying at his place tonight and we'll be picking our spot and heading there tomorrow.
Happier now.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Anybody reading this watching it in Arkansas..?

I am looking at a Greers Lake Ferry, but of course don't have a reservation to stay overnight. Thinking of the getting there at 9:00 with a canoe and getting on the lake and to an island.

Can't find any website info from them about them that they're closed or stopping people in anyway. My friend says it's usually not too busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

bawfuls posted:

I think the darkness is a function mostly of how far you are from the edge of the shadow, so basically the duration of totality

In my experience it hasn’t varied much from one eclipse to the next, it’s a subtle difference
To me it was the 'contrast' of light and dark ... the effect was different, at least in the approaching umbra. I want to say "muted" compared with my previous experience.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

So did anyone else see shadow bands at their location? We did very faintly in Mazatlán, about 4 to 5 minutes before totality. It helped that we were on a terrace with white tile.
Not that I could see, the definition on the rock ledge didn't afford the contrast necessary I think.
Need to bring a white posterboard next time. But I saw them in Baja—super cool.

Star Man posted:

Today's eclipse was much darker than it was in 2017. I concede the clouds factored into it, but in Wyoming in 2017 it was brighter on the ground at totality. The level of light on the ground was comparable to what it was today like about ten minutes before totality.

We suspect because of higher solar activity, the corona was not as expansive as it was in 2017. The 2017 corona was visually four big spikes, but this one was smaller and more rays all around, plus the prominence.
High solar activity means darker..?

tarlibone posted:

On this frame, I am quickly getting the filter over the objective lens, right as I'm about to melt my camera's sensor. Look at what I was able to capture!!!!!!!!
That's great shot. I only took photos for half of the time of totality once it started. That's my rule... I want to be present for the whole physical experience.

Star Man posted:

... One of our telescopes had a hydrogen-alpha eyepiece for looking at the surface of the sun.
Wow! More please :v:

charliebravo77 posted:

Drove a cumulative ~14 hours from Chicagoland to rural IL to stare at the sun. Would recommend. Got some wild shots - was not expecting to be able to see solar flares.
Amazing!

Porfiriato posted:

https://twitter.com/burgwx/status/1778123500907368644

Surprised how far out the effect is measurable. Looks like it shows up as far away as Colorado and Florida.
It dropped 13 degrees at the one in Baja. I don't know the temperature drop for this one, where I was at but I think 9 or 10 degrees. It was a welcome though for this west coast boy.

bawfuls posted:

In an earlier age where you couldn’t simply pull up a spectacular image of anything and everything instantly on a device in your pocket, I wonder if people would take more seriously the words of friends who testified to the unique majesty of an eclipse.
I'm from that earlier age... and I believe that's true, mostly.

Anyway I drove from Austin to Memphis two days before the eclipse, with just two stops, over 10 hours, over 700 miles. To a childhood friend that had seen 2017, but wasn't necessarily going to see this one.
One the day of, we woke at 4:45 a.m. — drove 155 miles to the Ozark mountain foothills. In his neighbors borrowed kayak, we made it to an island and saw it here:

4 minutes 11 seconds I believe. 5 miles from centerline.
It was worth the effort.
Need to start saving for overseas, promising myself #4 and more.

Here's the poem I wrote after my first eclipse at Bahía de Los Muertos. Share it with a non-believer, a naysayer, a "partiality is fine" friend or acquaintance, if you like.
Syzygy

Thanks for posting this thread Bawfuls.