Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

root of all eval posted:

I can point out places with 24 hours showers and bathrooms and about a billion quiet county roads you could nap on near Mount Vernon. It's my home town and I know the area very well

I'm in O'Fallon currently, planning to find a quiet place to spend the night in my car in Herrin (on the centerline path). I'm just watching the short term weather models on if I should stick with that plan or maybe head a little more northeast to maybe Mt Carmel. Oh and maybe storms to deal with this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.pivotalweather.com/eclipse2024/?m=srefens&p=blockedinsol_tle_2-mean&r=conus

That page is helpful as it is using the much higher resolution short range models now.

If it helps at all, I'm a meteorologist and this is what I'm seeing at this moment. I'm targeting southern Illinois. I'm still concerned about high clouds as I expect they may make seeing the corona a little more challenging.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=nam3km&region=ncus&pkg=cfrachigh&runtime=2024040712&fh=21

This shows high clouds from one model. Thinking it'll be ok to stick with my Herrin plan. Here's a vertical profile from another model showing the high clouds (red [temperature] and green [dew point] lines close together towards the top). Hopefully with it being dark in the moon shadow and the high clouds being thin enough it won't be much of an issue.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Made it to Herrin. Evaluating if maybe I'll end up being two counties too far south.

root of all eval posted:

The drive down from Chicago was chill, just got in.

I am not looking forward to the one lanes on return. Thinking of just taking State highways back instead of 57

I will be heading back to Minneapolis, any tips on routes? I'm thinking move perpendicular as much as I can at first just to maximize getting away. I'd be pretty happy if I could get to Peoria before sunset.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Also I'm asking my partner to marry me during the eclipse so that's fun too.

Are you going to say it's a total eclipse of your heart?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

What has you spooked?

Band of high clouds that'll be forming and moving north late morning. Don't know how much leeway I should expect tomorrow morning, probably zero. Right now seems like there is no one here for the eclipse.

root of all eval posted:

In the past I've used highway 4 from Mascoutah to get to 55 north and had a good experience. I have no clue how traffic patterns are gonna be though

Edit 127 n from Pinkneyville to 55 also looks pretty good, less west bound movement

Thanks! I'm just west of I-57, it'd be nice to take that north a bit to around Champaign but feels like that's just asking for trouble. Might try 127 as that shouldn't have much St Louis or Chicago people on it, or less so.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
From what I've seen of southern Illinois, stroads are a staple. I would never bike around here.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Back at the city park, will have a good view. What high clouds are here I'm anticipating moving out and there is a broadening dry patch developing over AR that will drift this way - may get a clear sky even! I'll get another round of disc golf in (this park has 18 tees).

Out of six cars here so far, four are from MN. The guy I parked next to is from the suburb to the west of me and he left at the same time. Small world.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess I could drive a couple minutes west and get the totality, but as it is I'm supposed to get like 99.8% totality, and I don't think 0.2% is worth dealing with Ohio drivers trying to do the same thing.

Weird position to take.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Satellite view of the shadow.

https://rammb-slider.cira.colostate...dth=6&refresh=1

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Obscuring started here in southern IL. Going to be perfectly clear.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
That was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Really happy I was able to go and take my son (1st grade), he was floored. We setup in Herrin, wasn't packed at all. We took off not too long after totality ended up on 148/51 North. Only had significant slowdown once. Spending the night in Davenport before back to Minnesota in the morning. Funny enough, car we parked next to was a guy from the suburb next to mine.

MeatloafCat posted:

A photo from my dad. We ended up going to a hotel/condo complex thing on the top of a hill. It worked out pretty well. For some reason the prominences came through pretty good. Headed back on secondary roads and didn't encounter any serious traffic, but did get relentlessly tailgated for the crime of only going 5 mph over.

This is a fantastic picture, but it is nothing like seeing it in person. Seems like no picture captures the iridescence just right.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Because no one cares.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's just not a holy poo poo experience to everyone. People have different experiences.

It was unique and interesting to me, but even if we magically had a two hour totality (which is impossible) I wouldn't exactly care after a couple minutes.

I had 4 minutes and didn't get bored. More time would allow you to actually explore the oddity of it. I was at a park with a disc golf course, would have loved to play in those conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Porfiriato posted:

https://twitter.com/burgwx/status/1778123500907368644

Surprised how far out the effect is measurable. Looks like it shows up as far away as Colorado and Florida.

The sun is powerful.