Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I skipped driving from Vancouver BC to Oregon for the 2017 eclipse because I didn't realize how rare it was to be within distance and with the correct weather conditions.

Now I'm planning to go down to Texas for 2024.

Do I just find a camp spot on the side of the road anywhere on the line? How close to the line do I have to be? Just within the dark shaded area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm thinking of planning a road trip from Vancouver to Texas for this and camping somewhere along the route to avoid the hotel problem. Anyone along the route thinking of doing the same?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm not planning it as a day trip, more like a 3 week trip. I'd camp at least one night before and after the eclipse.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

If anyone is on the fence about going to the path of totality because you are hanging around the umbra, GO TO THE TOTALITY.

Having totality anywhere near where you are is on the scale of literal once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

I decided not to drive 6 hours down to Oregon in 2017, thinking that there would be more opportunities in the future. After, I looked at the almanac and it is never coming as close to where I live in the remainder of my entire life. The next closest is this year, 2 days drive away in Texas. Some time in the coming decades, I could drive 13 hours to Alberta. On top of the distance thing, you need to have good weather, and be in the right season. All of these factors make it virtually impossible for me to see a totality without an inordinate cost.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Not sure how old you are but 2045 is a similar path to 2017 but shifted south a bit, so it will cross Northern California instead of central Oregon. Thats probably closer than Texas but also maybe we are all dead in a nuclear fireball before then.

But yeah the rarity is not so obvious at first.

I forgot, another factor that needs to line up is your personal life circumstances as well. I was actually planning a trip to Texas this eclipse until my partner had a situation come up where she couldn't fly around that time, so I can't do the trip anymore. So even in 2045, if I have still have my health, there is a roll of the dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ymgve posted:

Time to plan for 2026, I guess. Gonna try for the dead center of totality in Spain this time.

I was looking at this one as well as the 2044 Alberta eclipse and both of them look to be very late in the day, close to sunset. Does anyone know how that affects visibility?