Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I saw the last one in the middle of oregon with a very clear sky. i thought it would be cool but it was even cooler than i expected. go check it out if you didn't do the totality thing. its worth it

e:

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah, outside

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the best option is the one most accessable to you. local weather is a poo poo show so roll the dice and be ready to drive morning of to move out of cloud cover

I'm going to buttfuck rural IL to see it so feel free to find me in my "spot"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wesleywillis posted:

I thought we killed all the locusts in North America.

no we just renamed them to grasshoppers and or cicadas

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm gonna drive to southern IL and hope to see some eclipse

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

SirPablo posted:

Band of high clouds that'll be forming and moving north late morning. Don't know how much leeway I should expect tomorrow morning, probably zero. Right now seems like there is no one here for the eclipse.

Thanks! I'm just west of I-57, it'd be nice to take that north a bit to around Champaign but feels like that's just asking for trouble. Might try 127 as that shouldn't have much St Louis or Chicago people on it, or less so.

i went to Champaign today to cut time off my morning transit. if I can make it to Effingham in 5 hours I'm in, should be easy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess I could drive a couple minutes west and get the totality, but as it is I'm supposed to get like 99.8% totality, and I don't think 0.2% is worth dealing with Ohio drivers trying to do the same thing.

wrong as hell

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

in a graveyard in Fairfield IL and the weather is perfect

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

woo good stuff

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wtf why so much driving after the flight

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

duodenum posted:

Kids and I went to a grocery store parking lot in a small town west of Waco TX and had a perfectly clear patch of sky when totality happened.

I was further amazed going into the grocery store afterward for snacks for the trip back and seeing people just shopping away with full carts absolutely oblivious to the eclipse.

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ymgve posted:

I feel a bit broken because while the eclipse was great to watch, I’m missing the awe of others in this thread.

this is the 2nd one I've seen and while it was less awe inspiring than the first one, i was a lot more aware of the physics of the event and saw shadow bands, crescent shaped shadows, and was conscious and observant of pretty all of the ancillary stuff. a kid with us even found a nightcrawler that popped up during the darkness. it was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

your avatar is gonna be totally eclipsed by cat jail