Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I went to a small town in Tennessee to watch the 2017 eclipse. We got something like 2m37s of totality, and it was probably the coolest thing I've ever done in my life.

Not sure where I want to be for 2024 yet, but there's no way I'm gonna miss out. Going to Cleveland for the Guardians home opener and watching totality would probably be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sailor Jerry posted:

It's a near religious experience. I can see why ancient folks saw it as an omen or a sign from the gods.

Without having a pretty good understanding of the science of what was actually happening I can't possibly imagine having a different interpretation of it. What else could it possibly be?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My plan is to be in Austin proper -- we have friends we can stay with out there so we don't need to get lodging. Is there any consensus on a park or something where the viewing will be good?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shiiiiiiiiiiit. We're going to be in Austin and really don't have a plan B.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

In 2017 we went to Madisonville, TN, which has a population of about 5,000. They were right in the middle of the band and had a park with enough overflow parking in a nearby field to make it work, but there were probably 20,000 people there, and no one I talked to had ever heard of Madisonville, TN before they made this plan.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ok, trying to decide the best spot within driving distance of Austin.

If I'm reading this right, it's expecting significant high cloud coverage but minimal low cloud coverage, right? There's a town a little north of Killeen and a little west of Waco that we shouldn't have any problem getting to, and they're right near the centerline.

Social pressures meant we couldn't really bail and go elsewhere entirely, so I think this is the best we've got.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Mustache Ride posted:

Hillsboro is on 35, expect the freeway to be a parking lot north of Austin. If you’re not on the road now it’s probably too late.

Valley Mills is still expecting ~70% cloud cover. You’re gonna want to go as far north as you can off the centerline to get the clearest skies.

Traffic was extremely light. We ended up in Gatesville, TX at a drive-in.

Partial starts in 10 minutes, looking ok, maybe.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Photos didn't do super well but we got 4:23 of totality, with clearly visible diamond rings on both ends. I'm loving sobbing.

We did miss a good amount of mid-totality to clouds, but it was still pretty spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Here's hoping this dead gay forum is still around in 2045