Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Going to be in the Syracuse NY area and uh, cloud cover projections are looking bleak... Any truth to the notion that it's better by the lake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

People on the school's parents group are posting about getting recall notices for their eclipse glasses. Optometrists gonna be eating good.

What brand?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

In a park in the Thousand Islands region of NY, mostly sunny and hoping the projections saying "clouds to roll in at 3:20 on the dot lol gently caress you" are wrong 🙏

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Clouds rolled in literally 20 minutes before the start time, haven't left. Can't even see the sun through the eclipse glasses. I'm really upset!!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

It's pure cope to be impressed by at this point, but it is kind of interesting that between the clouds and the moon, I can't locate the sun in the sky anymore

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The eclipse effect parting the clouds pulled through! We even saw the corona and some solar flares. Walking around in twilight was amazing, the false sunset in the distance... So good.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

My Life Hack for not getting much traffic on the way home was eating an early dinner to wait for it to die down. :v:

I'm still just buzzing with how that felt. Any time I feel stressed, I remember how the eclipse looked and feel so much peace.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The 2027 eclipse path seems to go directly over the Straights of Gibraltar, which would probably also be an amazing viewing spot

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This "No one cares about the eclipse" take has made me feel a bit better about all my gushing to people, after which I worry I made them feel bad for missing out.

I am like a little evangelist for taking vacations to Spain in two years, I just want everyone to experience this!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I now think of "a totality" as an entirely separate event from "an eclipse". It's so different that I find myself mentally severing the association and placing them in their own bucket of things. As you said, really hard to explain to anyone who hasn't seen it. Something that photo and video "really does't capture" is a hard sell, maybe even moreso now than in the past?

This piece puts it pretty well:

quote:

I had seen a partial eclipse in 1970. A partial eclipse is very interesting. It bears almost no relation to a total eclipse. Seeing a partial eclipse bears the same relation to seeing a total eclipse as kissing a man does to marrying him, or as flying in an airplane does to falling out of an airplane. Although the one experience precedes the other, it in no way prepares you for it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ymgve posted:

I feel a bit broken because while the eclipse was great to watch, I’m missing the awe of others in this thread.

Dunno if it helps but I think part of the impact for me is that, due to clouds rolling in, I really thought I was going to see nothing cool. I'd resigned myself to not seeing a corona, just like maybe it'll be neat when the light goes out. So it became like a surprise gift to see what I did. Without that maybe I'd have just thought it was kinda neat?

There's also the social aspect of being around like hundreds of people all seeing and experiencing the same thing amplifying the emotion. Could be lots of things besides being "broken!"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So like, between Spain and Iceland, which will have the longer totality in 2 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hmm okay. One year later, the one in Egypt goes over Luxor and someone said it was 6 minutes? This site has some wild totality values lol: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2027-august-2