Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

So with it being a given that it'd be better to be inside the red lines, how cool or not would the eclipse be in Oklahoma City? It's so close to the red lines, relatively speaking. I could probably convince my wife to rent a cabin in SE Oklahoma for it, but that's :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

bawfuls posted:

The entire show is between those red lines. Being outside them is like being a mile away from the venue where your favorite band is playing. Being inside them is like standing in the front row at the show.

You either make the effort to get to totality, or you are effectively ignoring the eclipse. There’s really no in between.

You live SO close, you’re incredibly lucky to be within a day’s drive of a total eclipse at all. Absolutely make the effort to get there. As I mentioned upthread, the next total solar eclipse in North America isn’t until 2044!

Fair enough, I'll pitch it to her tonight. Been too long since we've visited the big city lights of McCurtain County, Oklahoma anyway.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rick posted:

I hope to see it. I'm thinking maybe in the panhandle and then checking out Oklahoma City after it's done to see what that's all about.

Based on the map in the OP it's not passing through the panhandle, but rather the exact opposite part of the state. Which happens to me much, much more scenic than the panhandle.

And if you decide to pop into OKC, feel free to hit me up in PMs or pop into the Oklahoma/Arkansas thread in LAN about things to see and do. :)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

Researching this event has me discovering that Texas is pretty horrible when it comes to public lands. There's basically nothing in the totality path for the entire state.. a few small state parks and and it's a near guarantee those are going to be jam packed with day trippers. Well, everything along the route is going to be jam packed. But I feel like Texas is going to be a step above due to proximity to some enormous cities. That happened in 2017 so it's gonna happen again in 2024.

I'm thinking the situation will force me into Arkansas where there's at least some national forest. All dense forest with limited clearings but unfortunately the further north you go the worse the weather trends get so that might be my sweet spot.

Any locals in here that got feedback? Wish I'd found this thread sooner because I've been trying to figure out a plan since spring.

If you're looking to be in the NE Texas/SW Arkansas area, I might suggest Beaver's Bend State Park in SE Oklahoma.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

xzzy posted:

Thanks, I had actually just scrolled over that the other day and then forgot to dig into it deeper. How's the hiking/roads back in there? I prefer to be away from folks as much as possible so was considering some of the side roads off the NE side of the lake.

The sun will pretty much be at its highest point in the sky during the eclipse in that area so my ability to get an epic earth+sun photo are pretty slim but I'll try anyways. Maybe hike into one of the south facing coves and see if I can manage something.

I'm unfortunately not as experienced a hiker as I'd like to be, but I do know they have several trails, including at least one lengthy back-country trail in the park. The area has become a bit of a tourist destination in recent years, for both good and ill, so traffic along US-259 can get kinda bad. However, the vast bulk of that stuff is on the SW side of the lake and park, so if you're shooting for the NE side you should be able to avoid a lot of that.

Quality of the roads is iffy, at best. The highways are fine but if you get onto local roads you're gonna wanna watch out.