Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm planning to wake up early and take my family into Ohio where the lowest chance of cloud cover is. I have no idea where we will ultimately post up to view it but planning on bringing a lot of foot and stuff so we can hunker down if we find something good. Goal is to get around Findlay as that's pretty near the center of totality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I'm planning to wake up early and take my family into Ohio where the lowest chance of cloud cover is. I have no idea where we will ultimately post up to view it but planning on bringing a lot of foot and stuff so we can hunker down if we find something good. Goal is to get around Findlay as that's pretty near the center of totality.

Following on my earlier message, does anyone have any feedback or suggestions on the 'winging it' style of finding a location to view it? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but am concerned about getting to a location with minimal cloud cover in the forecast and finding a reasonable place to post up for half a day waiting for the eclipse time.

For anyone who has adopted this strategy in the past, rather than booking a spot and hoping it works out, how have you approached it? Target large parking lots in suburban areas? Hit the rural areas and hope to find a stretch of open space that seems like you can trespass on for a while safely?

Appreciate any input, this is the last leg on the stool for this whole thing for me and probably the most important!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

xzzy posted:

Look for any public lands in the area.. parks, government land, whatever. Some people will even hang out at graveyards, which is kinda creepy but technically valid I suppose. But it's almost a certainty that local management will know it's a target and have something organized. Either a ticketing system or they'll have closed it off (many state partks in Texas did both).

Even a highway rest stop or wayside will work if you're really scrounging. A walmart parking lot will be fine. If you're out in cornfield territory just slide into a field access turnout, you probably won't get bothered.

In short spend time on google maps zooming on satellite mode to come up with options and be ready to adapt. Unless they got flashing lights on the roof or a shotgun, once you set up you can ignore anyone yelling at you. :v:

Thanks! That's in line where I was thinking but with some more granular and specific examples that will be helpful. Leaving early enough to get bounced out of a few locations (closed, unavailable, etc.) will get that safety margin to reduce the stress of it all. Hence my reason to pack a bunch of food, water, and entertainment for the family so we can brave it if we strike gold early.

Based on current forecasts, I may head closer to Indianapolis than Ohio as the % cover forecast is half. Game day decisions for sure.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

devmd01 posted:

For once in my life I’m happy to be in Indiana, I’m perfectly in totality and clouds are looking nonexistent.

With the Ohio forecast looking a bit rocky I may be taking the longer drive to the Portland area. Hoping Findlay is wide open skies in the morning and traffic is clear as that is the most ideal spot for not spending the entire day on the road.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Star Man posted:

It's game day.

Good luck to all of you. I have my ten-inch Dobsonian telescope packed in my back seat, a cooler, drawing pad and tackle box, and a whole lot of hope things work out for viewing.

Didn't think I'd be diverting to Akron, Ohio, but here we go.

Clear skies.

Appearing like all of eastern IN/western OH is clear as can be. Van Buren state park outside Findlay here we come!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Checking from Van Buren state park outside Findlay, OH. Perfect set up. Parked and wide open clearings with no clouds to the west. Even managed to get a picnic table!

Maybe another dozen or so spots left (at this first clearing, may be all) so won't be overcrowded. If clouds stay good this is the pro spot to be at.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Could have had a shorter drive and gone to Magee Marsh! Parking lot isn't even half full yet. I am sitting on the shore of Lake Erie and there's maybe 5% cloud cover.

How much totality you getting there? I wanted at least three minutes. Currently zero cloud cover here and looking good.

Only took 90 minutes from Ann Arbor. Expecting 3-4 hours back though lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sirotan posted:

I cannot find any kind of map that tells me that so I got no clue. Not invested enough for a multi-hour return trip so I'm happy with whatever I can get here.

Use this: https://eclipse-explorer.smce.nasa.gov/

If it's close to Toledo, looks like a little more than 90 seconds of totality. I wanted to get farther into the path so there's no risk of the horizon to the north having sunlight. Gimme that pitch black baby!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Findlay, OH not ideal, but should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Pic my son took with his fancy canon, no post processing