Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

anyways there is an official ruling by jeffrey of yospos on this exact subject nhd that you are concerned about :
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3996537&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post522130648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

comedyblissoption posted:

people being upset at those contradicting the currently pushed state department narrative is going to happen over and over again.

if you're not aware nhd, there were multiple attempts in qcs to gas cspam or the china thread over state dept narratives on china. there was a handwringing thread created by cspam mods on what to do about all the genocide deniers in cspam.

i feel differently about calls to get this thread closed because they make sense assuming you're just an average dude who knows about ukraine the way the vast majority of left leaning online dudes do (memes and epic owns). if i was them i'd be pissed too. it's not like "they're too ignorant to know they're wrong" it's "yeah i get why they're mad because like 5 years ago I would have also been mad about this." it seems very understandable to be upset about something you really truly think is a genocide. i have less sympathy for china haters because i read Edward Said's Orientalism and think about them as super racists in addition to average guys

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

comedyblissoption posted:

anyways there is an official ruling by jeffrey of yospos on this exact subject nhd that you are concerned about :
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3996537&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post522130648

didnt notice the username/post combo previously

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

it's not an nhd decision to make anyway, just wanted to express how i felt about the people getting upset.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

goldmine imo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NeatHeteroDude posted:

i think it might be nice gassing the thread at the funniest moment related to it in a while but I also want to gas it because it upsets people and makes them flip out for reasons i kind of understand. like, I too would be pissed if I was just a dude who learned about ukraine in 2022 and stumbled onto the knowledge that their was a famine some people think was deliberately caused by the soviet union. it's hard to fault people who believe in their heart of hearts that the holodomor was a planned genocide for getting angry when people joke about it.

there's basically no way they would organically find out about all the history and debate and evidence etc. they'd need to make an educated decision on whether the famine was intentional or accidental

dont care stfu

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

NeatHeteroDude posted:

it's "yeah i get why they're mad because like 5 years ago I would have also been mad about this." it seems very understandable to be upset about something you really truly think is a genocide. i have less sympathy for china haters because i read Edward Said's Orientalism and think about them as super racists in addition to average guys
why is it ok for people to get rabid frothing over that but not if they're insane sinophobic uyghur genocide fanatics? it'd be the same thing. i.e. state department told me X is doing BAD thing, ergo, it's true because the state would never lie. how can anyone be for BAD thing?? we must use posting=praxis to stop BAD thing

i think the main takeaway is people shouldn't proclaim or think they're suddenly experts because they just heard of something 9 months ago and skimmed a wikipedia article while wfh on their overpaid computer touching job

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

croup coughfield posted:

you may only gas the holodomor thread if all political posting is redirected to cspam effective immediately

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Goldmine would be the funniest option, close would be understandable since the thread's run its course.

Gassing would be conceding that there's something wrong with confirming that the holodomor happened, and that just doesn't sit right with me

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Xaris posted:

why is it ok for people to get rabid frothing over that but not if they're insane sinophobic uyghur genocide fanatics? it'd be the same thing. i.e. state department told me X is doing BAD thing, ergo, it's true because the state would never lie. how can anyone be for BAD thing?? we must use posting=praxis to stop BAD thing

i think the main takeaway is people shouldn't proclaim or think they're suddenly experts because they just heard of something 9 months ago and skimmed a wikipedia article while wfh on their overpaid computer touching job

Idk, I just feel less sympathy for people who hate China I guess. Couldn't tell you why except that I've dealt with way more sinophobic shitheads in day to day life than I have anticommunist Ukraine guys

I agree with your last paragraph too

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

goldmine imo

yup

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
move this thread to qcs success stories imo

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

sorry nhd nazi propaganda constructed to minimize the holocaust is still nazi propaganda constructed to minimize the holocaust even if somebody saw a nafo meme one time or whatever

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Al! posted:

move this thread to qcs success stories imo

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

thank you everyone for their hard work itt

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Neurolimal posted:

Goldmine would be the funniest option, close would be understandable since the thread's run its course.

Gassing would be conceding that there's something wrong with confirming that the holodomor happened, and that just doesn't sit right with me

its good, would piss a lot of annoying people off, and cspam never goldmines anyways

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

yep goldmine, i doubt we'll ever reach the high of the pedo rereg reveal again

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if that guy ever reregs he should be trained to this post and this opst only

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

tristeham posted:

yep goldmine, i doubt we'll ever reach the high of the pedo rereg reveal again

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006