Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m sure I could find it given enough time but one of my favorite videos ever from this website - there were actually a few - was from a “Video ideas” thread lowtax posted and goons made several. One that had a lot of good entries was “A man opens a Christmas present and is appalled to find his own head in the box, but is then later delighted to find a new iPod in the box as well.”

The one in question had the funniest “aaaaaaaaaaahhhh” to “ooooooo” transition and was otherwise wordless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lmao this wasn’t the one I was thinking of but is still good. I haven’t had any luck finding the thread of them yet, there were so many good ones.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I found the article:
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/something-awful-youtube/

I am still trying desperately to hunt down the one I found and liked but either I don't have it saved in youtube or its lost to time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CubicalSucrose posted:

"Hey Harold, hold my beer." Less than 4 hours for a mod to go from admin -> poster, an incredible new record.

Actually, uh,

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

No that was LUElinks.

The gamefaqs spinoff luelinks “eti”

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m losing my loving mind!!!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

sad question posted:

Sagas thread is back baby

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

some plague rats posted:

lol drat

yeah. I was in the grip of an absolute loving episode brought on by some personal poo poo this morning and was essentially just acting out, and I should have blanked it or bought a new one instead of continuing to bluff it when I started to come down. Same with the 41%, that was a real low point. Sorry all, I can be a real loving dickhead in exciting new ways when the mood takes me. I will now hear about this forever, go

I’m gonna be real I’m kinda not accepting of “yeah I hosed up” given how fuckin serious we treat the type of poo poo you alleged.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

some plague rats posted:

I said someone else bought me an av dude. Its immensely loving gay and an unbelievably embarrassing way to act out but come on can you not just lol like everyone else

C’mon, really?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

ArfJason posted:

[doing high pitched voice out the corner of my mouth] FAAAGGOT [looks back and forth] WHO SAID THAT???

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

i think a big thing that separates these forums from facebook or twitter is that its a large enough community that it feels like there's people but its a small enough one that becoming known to everyone on it is reasonably possible. combine that with the relatively 'buttoned up' rules (people on twitter only get banned for like, posting coordinates to a bomb) and accounts having an active cost/people being actively driven out of the community sometimes it really feeds into these sorts of weird social power fantasies.

Yeah I was going to say something along these lines but you put it way better endorph.

Generally people here engage with almost any post or real effort to communicate where in so many places you truly are screaming into the void. It’s very easy to jump from “hey these people were cordial to me!” to “actually I’m the main character and I’m crushing it. I can’t fail. They’re going to love this!” And then you reveal your favorite fetish game LP or something.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Love that gategate has a new chapter.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Its only like this for wildly popular games, and sometimes not even then. Other games like STALKER have insane coders who spend years of their life making some spaghetti of a mod that barely works with hacked together dev tools, a culture which ultimately culminated in the games source code being leaked and all three games being compiled into a single, free "mod" thats been processed through several different variations and lead modders. Source engine mods resulted in entire communities and franchises being formed, same with Blizzard RTSes and their custom maps. Kerbal Space Program. Paradox gaahahahahha Im sorry I cant finish that one

Paradox modding has some super cool gems but boy howdy their mod community at large sucks so bad. You’ll get huge collaborations like Anbennar, an EUIV fantasy total conversion that uses a lot of the base game mechanics in super interesting ways, but then also just so much insane poo poo that’s horribly balanced and weird and probably racist.

There’s always some insane people. Prison architect is one that stands out to me - game is already a touchy subject for many people. I stumbled on a mod that made it Star Wars themed and I was like, hey, cool. Makes it feel less skeezy now that it’s Star Wars, right? I bet there’s other total conversions… Ah, yeah, the others are a Nazi POW camp and uh, a Rhodesian prison total conversion.

Really turned me off from ever wanting to look at that workshop again. A quick google shows me that the Rhodesia mod is still on the workshop.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skasion posted:

I mean tbf Anbennar is also fairly racist. Not in like a deliberately hate mongering way I wouldn’t say, but yeah imagine all the vaguely racist stuff of EU4 combined with all the vaguely racist stuff in D&D, and now add a surprisingly elaborate “purge/expel race” interface to pogrom your resident goblins or elves or whatever

No disagreement, was more just using it as an example of how crazy in depth and expansive some mods can get.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Also a full like third of all contributors have been banned from the mod discord for racism, being a sex weird, or just being an rear end in a top hat.

Like he said, the most successful. Only a third.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

My favorite weird mod author story is the guy who made Gearscore for World of Warcraft. It was an addon that told you at a glance how good someone's gear was, so raid leaders could evaluate applicants quicker etc.

When Blizzard added a paid cosmetic mount to the game, some people got insanely mad about that including the addon author, so he quietly changed the addon to show anyone who owned the mount as having poo poo gear so nobody would invite them to groups. It took weeks before anyone caught on.

Was it just that it was a paid cosmetic or was it something really funny that they were mad about?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

That’s gotta be a record for the goon phenomena of
-“Thing sucks! Yeah!”
-Goons discuss an absolutely encyclopedic knowledge of every instance of it, knowing every example.
-“Actually THIS six hour video is good, everyone would like it who could hate it.”

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The weirdest musical opinion I have is that I have to listen to nightcore (I still call it happy hardcore! :corsair: ) while I’m drunk with my buddies playing Rocket League.

After even a minute outside of that context I find it super grating, but I need the super high BPM upbeat nonsense to make my car fly around better. Every now and then I’ll add a song I like from the nightcore radio station to my Spotify and end up appalled when it plays at like 10am on a Tuesday while I’m working.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

queen is fine, there are just lots more arguably more interesting bands out there, who haven’t been glomped to death by nerd culture

I also share this same aversion but Queen is one of the instances where they’re good enough to overcome the annoying nerd fan bandwagon effect imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dixville posted:

Also have to give Freddy credit for probably the best live performance of all time. Even if you don't like queen you have to respect the stage presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bToG3hKX5nM

I was gonna post this. Queen at live aid rules so much that it’s insane.