Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

sad question posted:

I sometimes think about the thread that caused goons to eat dog food.

One day some goon decided to share his plan to save money in GBS - by eating dog food when possible, as in his estimation it was cheaper to buy than people food. This was of course immediately mocked and a mod gave him a challenge - to post a video of eating some dog food (so he understand how dumb an idea this was) or be banned. Some other person did it first, but as OP eventually completed the challenge he was not banned. However, the quickly moving thread achieved critical mass and the story did not stop there.

Goons just kept filming and posting themselves eating pet food (they started to branch out outside of just dog variety). The mood in the thread changed and people started yelling at anyone who posted a video of dry heaving after trying pet food. But they kept coming. Every other page someone else would casually drop a video and the cycle would start again. Eventually it stopped but the thread stands out in my mind as example of goons' determination to keep the joke going far past the point it was enjoyable to anyone.

Remember this SA legend if you ever have an odd idea to save money on food.

This was because he calculated that it was nutritionally optimal, down to which brand would be the best value.

The first person to eat dog food in the thread reported something along the lines of "not dead, now have a silky coat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473660

the only one I ever saw:

quote:

I'm alive, and my coat is glossier than ever! No noticeable ill side effects beyond I couldn't even think about cereal for breakfast. It was very crunchy, like chewing stale, dehydrated croutons, hence the swallowing whole halfway through. Godspeed OP and fellow challengers!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

sad question posted:

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/dog-food-goons/1/

I noticed that front page had an article about it. Videos are dead but it has some images.

Wasn't Waffleimages resurrected under a different domain or something, so you could use a tampermonkey script or something to make old threads work?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I sometimes wish radium would appear and post stories to really give an inside look at the whole hosed up decisions he made

that and tell his side of basically ghosting the gently caress out of lowtax for years at a time while collecting a paycheck to literally ignore him and demand to only be contacted by email, then aim, then some obsucre method all to avoid talking to him

He would talk to Lowtax. The trick was that he would never actually answer Lowtax on anything resembling a date something would be finished, Lowtax had no idea how to code, and he didn't want to trust anyone else with it. iirc logs of Lowtax and radium went like this (and I'm going entirely off memory/paraphrasing):

quote:

lowtax: hey bud
radium:
lowtax: have you worked on the feature i wanted where the forums dont crash if someone clicks on a dog at the top
radium: i made it so if you remove the slur the code crashes
lowtax: thats great can i get an eta on the dog crash
radium: no
radium: i made the cats crash too but i'm fixing it by september. not sure which
lowtax: thank you radium have a good easter
radium: no

also the people coming in to try to snipe at spr over past stuff not succeeding makes me happy. not because spr deserves defense, but because the incredibly weak little slaps still aren't being humored. they're like morrowind characters with empty fatigue bars trying to bunnyhop in and pass hard checks

MS Paint posted:

because just like km she has a cadre of dipshits she whips into a frenzy

ooohhhhh noooo ive gotten a bad av im so sad lets go demod kit

folks get pied pipered constantly on this site lol lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Final Fantasy 8 has a cool randomizer over at https://github.com/sleepeybunney/maelstrom and I did my best to reverse engineer the remaining features I wanted and failed

the ff8 PC/switch port is unbelievable. there's some sort of interpreter going on with the 2000s port windows port, even on switch. at one point I was staring at it in ida pro and read the string "WE SHOULD NOT HAVE COME HERE." out of nowhere and decided the remaining work was beyond me and/or cursed

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Breath of Fire 2 got a sick translation based on the German version and it has a vocal intro now, and it's compatible with a QoL patch (BoF2 Maeson https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3272/ )

Lufia 2 is extremely cool and good, I had the GBA sequel that focused on like, Dekar when I was in high school

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

vyelkin posted:

It's funny because from the original post my brain went to the Fire Emblem Reverse Romhack thread and then it turned out to be a completely different yet somehow eerily similar story and I'm left wondering how many times this has happened

A FFT romhacker joined, did some introspection on his hack, released an accessible version of his hack, and then posted about reading clop and ate a ban.

It might have been the FF6 Brave New World hacker, I don't remember and I'm not entirely sure.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
The FFT one was pretty cool because i don't think they have ever even considered a normal person playing FFT and they made a whole other version of the hack for all the content/qol type stuff without stuff like always scaling to your level + 5

the original romhack is one of the ones I loathe where it expects you to do every possible glitch and trick and optimally plan everything. I caught a Smight stream a while back by one of the insanedifficulty romhackers where he just made everything in the game have 10x health and removed the most well known powerful items, including making the shield rod two handed out of spite

edit ^ Arthmoor might be the most toxic person in game modding, which is an incredible feat

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Control Volume posted:

This cant possibly be true when Minecraft modding exists. Im hazy on the details but there was once drama where one mod (I think for beekeeping before bees were added?) would break the game if combined with certain other mods due to drama between the mod creators. Also, for a while it was also treated as a horrific act to give people links that bypassed adfly (basically tinyurl but with ads that pays the creator a tiny amount per click) because it was tantamount to stealing and game piracy, which was a major catalyst in a lot of modders throwing tantrums about modpacks. And you can guess which notorious internet forum popularized modpacks and dodging sketchy ad sites.

oh yeah there have been multiple mods that have actively sabotaged users

One of the mods used to check if it was installed in the technic folder and screw itself up.

Somewhat recently, a shader injection tool for ffxiv decided to see how fast it could ruin its own goodwill and did something like that

The FFT romhack was just called like FFT 1.3 for some reason.

Harrow posted:

I was poking around romhacks a while back and found this one for FFT that seems really promising: https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12993.0

It's one of those hacks that aims to create a more balanced experience with greater variety rather than trying to amp up the difficulty. It nerfs some things, buffs other things, makes some options more available, things like that. I was reading over the change log and basically just going "hell yeah that sounds great" to every change. The hack tries to keep the spirit of the original, too--for example it rebalances all the special knight characters to be less wildly overpowered, but leaves Orlandeau somewhat overpowered because that's his whole identity and makes sense for the story.

I should give it a try sometime soon

Celdia's romhacks for FFT are a reworking with original jobs and had a LP going for a while and those are pretty cool

https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9408.0 this is CCP 2nd, which I think is the newest

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I just remembered one of my favorite threads in the goldmine. It's not as funny as I remember it these days, but it's still good.

Join us in Ducktales Online!

Carecat posted:

Anyone who found out the exploit to attach a plunger to your belt slot please talk to me ASAP. Someone told the pubbies how to do it and everyone is blaming us for half the server waddling around with what appear to be giant boners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

sweet geek swag posted:

Don't Stop Me Now is also very good.

It rules and the bar fight scene in Shaun of the Dead used it incredibly well.