Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I.. Have no idea who is winning here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Using an Exocet to blow up a land-based radar? Huh.

What ultimately makes something an anti-ship missile rather than an anti-things-on-land missile? Is it a matter of the warhead? The speed? The approach?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

For a start, it is sized to gently caress up a ship, it is also designed to do bad things to a ship in terms of what sort of armor to expect to have to penetrate (very little, as it turns out there's little viable armor against house sized objects falling from just below the Karman line at mach 7) and when after the impact the fuse should trigger the explosives, inside or under the keel to snap it in half (so a longer time than a general purpose weapon), furthermore there's the matter of the approach, breathless horizontal ram from trying to speed through last second CWIS fire (tends to blow up inside) or a slanted or vertical impact either from being a house rocket dropped from half orbit or popping up from a more or less sea skimming trajectory (tends to detonate under the ship to smash the keel and either cut it in half or cause enough shock damage to render it non functional) and then there's the fun stuff like being specialized enough against specific things in a specific enough environment that you can have a group of missiles work as an autonomous squadron with tactical data links with each other and skimming the surface and one popping up regularly to look over the horizon to check where the target's moved to. In general they tend to be able to be launched from afar, nobody wants to launch an AShM from visual range. (There's a good article from a Russian officer about the joys of being the idiot who goes out to look for the AA fuckfest that a modern fleet is: https://digital-commons.usnwc.edu/nwc-review/vol67/iss1/7/ )

Virtually all AShMs can be used against surface-as-in-ground targets, Iraq did it in the Iran-Iraq war and both episodes of the Gulf Wars.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 12, 2023

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Posting in support of (non-nine) dashed lines. It takes me a lot of effort to try to parse the game screenshots. I wasn't able to follow Hayard Gunnes, so maybe it's lack of experience, but it's a lot of thinking for an LP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The dotted trails do help in better describing the scene

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Hopefully I died on impact. I blame my theater commander.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

wedgekree posted:

I.. Have no idea who is winning here.

whoever has the contract to replace the $billions of equipment that have been destroyed in the past 3 hours

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

E Depois do Adeus posted:

whoever has the contract to replace the $billions of equipment that have been destroyed in the past 3 hours

:911:

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

PurpleXVI posted:

What ultimately makes something an anti-ship missile rather than an anti-things-on-land missile? Is it a matter of the warhead? The speed? The approach?

The upgraded versions of the Exocet (and the Harpoon, BTW) have a secondary land-attack capability. Earlier versions are strictly anti-ship.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

In the past it was often seeker head design. An antiship missile only has to look for a single blob of heat/radar reflection/what-have-you against a cold flat ocean background, which early active radar seekers could generally do (you home in on the one big reflection you had and hoped it wasn't a chaff cloud); the land is a much more complex environment, which is one reason why it took until more powerful computers and the rise of TERCOM/GPS/imaging cameras in the 1980s and 1990s before they could achieve something similar.

(This is one reason why, in real life, the Russian use of Kh-22s in a land-attack role against Ukraine usually resulted in wildly inaccurate impacts -- the 1960s-era inertial navigation modules and the ancient-rear end radars literally could not pick out targets on the ground, so they tended to home in on things like random shopping malls.)

The dotted lines are a great help, and as someone who's only played CMANO, are the ejected pilots from aircraft a new CMO addition or are they specific to this scenario? It's really cool watching some of the more subtle additions and refinements from the Hayard Gunnes.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Question so what NATO doing right now since two NATO nations are shooting at each other.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They are watching both nations windmill slam the article 5 button while wondering who to back to keep locking down the Marmara sea straights.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

ChaosDragon posted:

Question so what NATO doing right now since two NATO nations are shooting at each other.

:qq: mostly

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

President Macron will negotiate a ceasefire any day now!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ChaosDragon posted:

Arguing over who gets

E Depois do Adeus posted:

the contract to replace the $billions of equipment that have been destroyed in the past 3 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Yooper posted:

Destroy the Greek Parliament and Pentagon (Greek armed forces HQ), located in Athens

Eagerly awaiting this counterstrike