Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
New Benghazi just dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carvor
Jan 13, 2019
I've always been interested in CMANO but the interface is just too intimidating. This scenario looks pretty cool though with how dynamic it seems. Do the marines you ferry to the embassy actually appear on the ground after you deliver them or is that just abstracted away as score?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Keeping the embassy open is very dumb, lousy suits in Washington!

I hope we’re at least evacuating people on those outbound osprey flights…

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

So it's straight up party time. The EC-130J has been tasked and will be moving into the area. Eventually. Now we wait a few to see how the Russians and Angolans react. I've pulled the RQ-180 out of Grumble range and we have 4 Lightnings on station. I really want to smuck those Grumbles. Bad. But orders are orders.

1830, a pack of Super-Tukes take off from Luanda. I slide in one of the F-35's in case they prove hostile. They do a few hot laps over the Embassy and then...

loving woah. The Russians open fire on a French A.400M Grizzly. This thing is hosed.

That's it. It's party time. If Russia and the Angolans see fit to erase an Airbus filled with refugees then it's party time. Our opening salvo will be all of our Stormbreakers towards a radar and both Grumbles.

Solarfire2 and the Gravely preps to launch RGM-109E Tomahawks. These ones will be headed towards radar sites as well as Lubango airport. With the quantity of SA-22's and those Grumbles around Luanda it'd be a waste to send any there.

Next we launch Jimmy4400nav in the P-8, he's packing 4 LRASM's. I'd prefer to do a coordinated ToT strike on the Russians, but if they can locate the CSG then we'll be dancing with the vampires. This is bad.

Arrath and Vayra take the flight lead with a dozen LRASM's between them. Each pair will fire on one of the Russian ships with Jimmy4400nav playing clean up. We will also have Growler support to cloak the OECM's. The moment the launch is up we will launch our HARM Lightnings.

As expected, the A.400 eats it. We salute you Esc de Tpt 3/62 Ventoux.

No poo poo rear end in a top hat.

TheGreatEvilKing launches a pair of AIM-120D's at a poor MPA. The Tukes are too low for us to engage without dropping 10k ft. Which isn't happening. Luckily the Marines loving love MANPAD's.

The Marines do pretty damnwed good and lay into the Tukes, only losing a Humvee.

Holy poo poo, those Flankers came up quick. The Lightnings wing a pair of AMRAAM's at max range. poo poo, I should have reduced that.

The Flankers turn tail and gently caress off. Unfortunately the Grumbles intercept all of our Stormbreakers.

:eyepop: Even the Flankers get in on shooting the glide bombs.

Our 6 LRASM carriers, with the Growlers up ahead.

Serpentis turns about for a moment to clear the thegreatevilkings tail.

Our AIM-120D's arc upwards to gain as much energy as possible before plunging down on the targets. Our missiles lose energy and plunge into the sea, but the Flankers get no satisfaction from us.

Wrapping up this round we have our LRASM strikers about to go in for the run. At #2 we have our CAP headed to screen the area outside of SAM range. And lastly at 3 we have atrack for one of our TLAM's. Our next hour will be critical.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh man, get the rattlecan and stencil ready. Papa's gonna bag him a missile cruiser :clint:

Shame about our Stormbreaker strike.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Carvor posted:

I've always been interested in CMANO but the interface is just too intimidating. This scenario looks pretty cool though with how dynamic it seems. Do the marines you ferry to the embassy actually appear on the ground after you deliver them or is that just abstracted away as score?

There was recently a cargo rework, and yes, they actually appear on the ground as units you can control. This coincides with a change to how ground units are handled. Once upon a time everything was a "facility" where now there are distinct ground units. I think I know where this is headed, and I like it.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Where did the shot that actually downed that French transport(?) come from? I’m not able to parse the image you posted, I’m sorry :saddowns:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Where did the shot that actually downed that French transport(?) come from? I’m not able to parse the image you posted, I’m sorry :saddowns:

It was one of the SA-22 Pantsir's near the airport that got it. I didn't actually "see" the SAM, so it was just a message in the log.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Would really like to know where that Russian SSN is.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Given the changes that have been made to how missiles work I am surprised they haven’t changed the default wra settings to something shorter then max range. It’s basically the first thing you have to do when you bring up a scenario. For something like this 70% even on a big slow MPA seems like a better bet. Because otherwise you end up just like you did where the opposition flights will just drag out the shots and waste your ammo.

Which honestly in a case like this the Angolan fighters wouldn’t even know they were fired on until they started exploding.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The CIA shot down that French jet, and all the refugees in the jet were actually dead before it took off. How dare the perfidious Americans do this just to start another war for oil!

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Yooper posted:

It was one of the SA-22 Pantsir's near the airport that got it. I didn't actually "see" the SAM, so it was just a message in the log.

Ok thanks! Not to be too nit picky or something, but I can’t actually see the log in the image you posted…

On a different topic, are we likely to have to evacuate the embassy? And if necessary stage/refuel the osprey from the international airport? How many ospreys do we have?

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Given the real-life performance of the SA-22, one really has to wonder if they can actually shoot down an SDB-II flight...

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Echoing interest in CMANO but overwhelmed by the interface and complexity. Following with interest.

I'll also take an MQ-25.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 14, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Put me down for an F/A-18 slot!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

habeasdorkus posted:

Would really like to know where that Russian SSN is.

Yeah, how are we on that?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is getting tense. Are there any Marines with MANPADs on the Newport that we could shuttle over to the embassy? Might come in useful against Tucanos and Mig-23s.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Well, this is why I joined the Air Force and not the Marines, I guess. Least when you throw bombs at an intercept wall in a jet, only your Weps can hear you grumble.

And without wishing to sound glib, you'd think that an Angolan shootdown of a French airliner (?) in an evac role would turn opinions at the UN somewhat our way...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Serpentis posted:

French airliner (?)

The A400 is Airbus’s military cargo plane—basically a European C-130.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It will turn opinion our way, maybe a week from now. Right now the bad guys are yelling about defending themselves from a US invasion.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

"A military aircraft operating illegally over Angola was engaged and defeated, as any country has the right to do. We condemn the use of human shields by the French."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
*stewing in the ready room, punching the air and chewing gum, waiting for the call to splash some drat Flankers*

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Ok thanks! Not to be too nit picky or something, but I can’t actually see the log in the image you posted…

On a different topic, are we likely to have to evacuate the embassy? And if necessary stage/refuel the osprey from the international airport? How many ospreys do we have?

We have few Ospreys, and to make matters worse the Grumble would tear them up.

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, how are we on that?

Still hunting! We have seen zero sign of it.

Popete posted:

This is getting tense. Are there any Marines with MANPADs on the Newport that we could shuttle over to the embassy? Might come in useful against Tucanos and Mig-23s.

I think we shuttled some already? I know an ANGLCO (Laser Designator team) went over, but not sure if the MANPADs were already at the Embassy. But until we get the Grumble down they'll have to hold tight.

gradenko_2000 posted:

*splash some drat Flankers*

We've got a CAP flight of F-35's and Hornets headed south of Luanda now. Should Flankers or Floggers appear they'll bag 'em. I have revised our WRA to 50% of range, this should keep us out of Alamo range, while giving us a higher kill rate.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

As it stands right now Angola and Russia are both hostile to us. And probably like all of the militias in Angola too. Russia shot down a French NATO (OTAN?) A.400 as it was evaccing refugees. So now it's cuffs off. First off is a big strike with the LRASM's. We're also going to do a coordinated strike with TLAM's and enough HARM's to choke a goat.

Arrath leads the main group of strikers with dervinosdoom leading up the pair of OECM heavy Growlers. The plan here is simple, they head north, get a solution, fire, and then the Growlers follow it in to cloak the LRASM's.

Up close we have the 4 Russian ships in a tight cluster. The less time they have to break, the better. Our LRASM's will eventually go radar active and hit "something", which might not be our intended target.

Next we will do a strike using the new Strike Planner. This will be coordinated with TLAM's from the Sub and Arleigh Burke's. This will be a max effort strike to, hopefully, take out the radar and Grumbles. We should have satisfaction around 1945Z.

Gradenko in flight Slay32 (I didn't even pick that name, it's part of the new flight system) is moving at 920 knots to intercept a pair of Flankers.

All of our strikers are taking off and staging just to the east of the Ford. Down south you can see Gervasius letting loose with some TLAM's.

Gervasius opens up with a pair of 120D's. It's 44nm and unlikely the Flankers will ever see the missiles.

2 miles out and they aren't even evading. Talk about a loving assassin, holy poo poo.

First kill! The second one is a solid miss, but the Flanker never even saw it.

A dozen LRASM's are headed for the Russian fleet. Only the Growlers, with dervinosdoom in the lead, still head towards them.

Marines start taking pot shots at a rising MPA. Never stop marining. And they kill it, lol.

TLAM's go for a far southern radar site. It's knocked out with ease.

Oh boy! Two more Flankers go towards 4 F-35's. The other flight is "Grim 56, and is a pair of Hornets'.

Hell yah. 12 nautical miles. The horizon has been breached.

6 miles. Zero evasions.

:frogsiren: And now they wake up! The lead LRASM is only 2 miles out from the target.

First hits!

A SAM knocks out one of the incoming LRASM's. And, comically enough, is replaced by the 3rd missile that bypassed the first ship.

One LRASM smucks into the Sergey Gorshkov.

As well as almost all of the LRASM's into the Admiral Nakhimov.

Our last two LRASM's head for the tailing ship, the Sovremenny. One LRASM is intercepted. The second one though is a square hit.

At the same moment we have Flankers hunting Hornets, except they don't see the F-35's hunting them.

And in the center is our ToT Strike.

An amazing run by Arrath, Vayra, and dervinosdoom to knock out an entire Russian Strike Group. I'm not sure Jimmy is going to have anything to shoot at.

This next hour should be pretty awesome.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Oh dear.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What's the "MPA" the Marines take out?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

What's the "MPA" the Marines take out?

A Maritime Patrol Aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_patrol_aircraft

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Going swimmingly. So I'm expecting to see the Ford get bushwhacked by the SSN they have lurking about.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 15, 2023

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Holy poo poo, LRASMs not detected until they were just two miles out. That's goddamn terrifying.

The difference in detection behaviour by the Flankers is interesting. It seems like the two that got swatted by AMRAAMs never even attempted to go evasive, so it's interesting how they dodged those missiles much earlier on.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
General quarters, General quarters! All hands man your battle station! Set condition Zebra!

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 15, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Way to fuckin go, flight! Good poo poo.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Never have enough manpads.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

bibliosabreur posted:

Holy poo poo, LRASMs not detected until they were just two miles out. That's goddamn terrifying.

The difference in detection behaviour by the Flankers is interesting. It seems like the two that got swatted by AMRAAMs never even attempted to go evasive, so it's interesting how they dodged those missiles much earlier on.

Two likely things

1) the shots came from much closer and behind which cuts down on the detection time.

2) the missiles were guided in by the f35 aesa radar instead of going active themselves. The aesa radar is much harder to detect then old analog sets.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Oh OK, that's one hell of an opening strike :stare:

Someone make sure the XCOM Doomsday clock is set up in the hangar, I guess we have our 12-18 hour window starting as of 1900.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yooper posted:

2 miles out and they aren't even evading. Talk about a loving assassin, holy poo poo.

First kill! The second one is a solid miss, but the Flanker never even saw it.

Oh boy! Two more Flankers go towards 4 F-35's. The other flight is "Grim 56, and is a pair of Hornets'.

At the same moment we have Flankers hunting Hornets, except they don't see the F-35's hunting them.

*click*

"splash one bandit, control"

___

hell yeah what a brilliant opening salvo

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

everydayfalls posted:

Two likely things

1) the shots came from much closer and behind which cuts down on the detection time.

2) the missiles were guided in by the f35 aesa radar instead of going active themselves. The aesa radar is much harder to detect then old analog sets.

I'll open up the save once we're done and see what they saw. I know all they have is the old Beryoza RWR, so its quite likely they never knew it was coming.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
That's the entire Russian SAG down? Just like that? Anticlimatic, I guess, but that's good in war.

Do we have time to intercept that merchant ship mentioned earlier? It's not like we can piss off the Russians more now.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

That's the entire Russian SAG down? Just like that? Anticlimatic, I guess, but that's good in war.

Do we have time to intercept that merchant ship mentioned earlier? It's not like we can piss off the Russians more now.

Yup, that's the whole thing! They must not have had a sufficient target location to fire. They had Zircons which we don't really have a defense against so this worked out well. This was an all or nothing thing, really.

Once Jimmy's P-8 is in the area we'll have him search for the merchant ship and if it's Russian we'll sink it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yooper posted:

Yup, that's the whole thing! They must not have had a sufficient target location to fire. They had Zircons which we don't really have a defense against so this worked out well. This was an all or nothing thing, really.

Once Jimmy's P-8 is in the area we'll have him search for the merchant ship and if it's Russian we'll sink it.

Wow we actually sunk all of them? I was holding my breath until a drone could make a BDA pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Yooper posted:

i guess we can do an inspection... with divers :black101: