Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Well, if they decide to announce hostilities on us by downing the Osprey there is very little we can do about it. Anyone with a KPV or Strela-2 can swat it if they so wanted.

Also, :woop: Yooper thread! I still have the old Hayard Gunnes t-shirt (and so does my fiancee). That was a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Unlike a certain other high-profile Russian warship, the assumption is that this one has a functioning air defense suite and competent sailors, so we'll probably need more than two Harpoon-equivalents.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Given the real-life performance of the SA-22, one really has to wonder if they can actually shoot down an SDB-II flight...

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Holy poo poo, LRASMs not detected until they were just two miles out. That's goddamn terrifying.

The difference in detection behaviour by the Flankers is interesting. It seems like the two that got swatted by AMRAAMs never even attempted to go evasive, so it's interesting how they dodged those missiles much earlier on.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
RIP, noble Pixelhornissen.

Did we have any options for MALDs or similar to bait the launchers into firing?

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Having seen what a USN task force at near-maximum gently caress can do, now I'm wondering what happens for some of the less advanced scenarios...

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
The trade rate is very roughly 1:1 when it comes to...well...fighters that actually count. No, I'm not counting the Floggers or Fantans for this.

Feels like the question is PL-10s vs Meteors. I wish I could be surprised at how murderously effective the Meteors are against our craft (oh god is this what it was like for the OPFOR in all those Hayard Gunnes scenarios?) but I'm honestly a little surprised the Rafales didn't dodge more of our LRAAMs.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

quote:

We get bombs on target but at great cost. It's about now I realize that my SEAD flight never launched.

Truly in the best traditions of the VKS! :ussr:

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
My god. How many vampires did the CdG battlegroup swat before we got the torpedoes on it?

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Those Turkish forces :dogstare:

I kinda want to run Greece. It looks like we'll be on the defensive somewhat against...all of that.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Sooo...I might be mistaken, but, uh, huge Turkish raid in response to be expected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

Using an Exocet to blow up a land-based radar? Huh.

What ultimately makes something an anti-ship missile rather than an anti-things-on-land missile? Is it a matter of the warhead? The speed? The approach?

In the past it was often seeker head design. An antiship missile only has to look for a single blob of heat/radar reflection/what-have-you against a cold flat ocean background, which early active radar seekers could generally do (you home in on the one big reflection you had and hoped it wasn't a chaff cloud); the land is a much more complex environment, which is one reason why it took until more powerful computers and the rise of TERCOM/GPS/imaging cameras in the 1980s and 1990s before they could achieve something similar.

(This is one reason why, in real life, the Russian use of Kh-22s in a land-attack role against Ukraine usually resulted in wildly inaccurate impacts -- the 1960s-era inertial navigation modules and the ancient-rear end radars literally could not pick out targets on the ground, so they tended to home in on things like random shopping malls.)

The dotted lines are a great help, and as someone who's only played CMANO, are the ejected pilots from aircraft a new CMO addition or are they specific to this scenario? It's really cool watching some of the more subtle additions and refinements from the Hayard Gunnes.