Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I can already hear the music playing in my head!

NoiseAnnoys posted:

how did the nomad perform? never knew anyone who owned one.
It took a whole ton of batteries for very little playtime, but plugged in it became the best thing to bring along on trips to hotels and such. And my parents ended up getting us a power converter for the car, so it became a go-to road trip staple as well. And odds are if you're getting a Nomad, you've already got the game library to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

copy posted:

i think there was one called like Sparkster or something (maybe for snes?) and also a pc one got made a few years back https://store.steampowered.com/app/19030/Rocket_Knight/

can't speak to the quality. Still get the boss music from RKA stuck in my head sometimes

Heck yeah, the boss music (and the whole soundtrack, really) is great! I rented the game as a kid, and for the longest time that boss music would pop into my head as the quintessential "video game boos music", without really remembering where it came from. It just starts with this feeling of dread and builds into this hectic weirdness that fits the Rocket Knight bosses so perfectly. When I finally bought the game to replay as an adult, hearing and recognizing the song again added this whole surreal feeling to it.

As for sequels, there have been a few. There was Sparkster on the Genesis, which ended up as a kind of middling platformer. Competent, but not extraordinary.

Then there was Sparkster on the SNES (different game completely), which kept up the feel of the original pretty well. But about halfway through the last stage it introduces a boss fight that's pretty much unplayable. That, alongside the last boss who would spam whatever combination of screen-filling attacks he pleased, kind of left a sour taste.

And the new-ish one kinda takes a while to get up to speed, and falls a bit short of what made the first one so awesome. So yeah, there've been sequels, but they haven't really figured out how to make 'em work.