Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yup. Rippling.com. See this thread. https://twitter.com/parkerconrad/status/1634237386564730882

tl;dr: A lot of payroll checks that were cut earlier this week were routed through SVB but didn't make it to their recipients before SVB was shut down.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/BrianRoemmele/status/1634254882046889986

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Riot Bimbo posted:

better to knock a bunch of tech workers out of the middle class than let the working class have any room to negotiate or unionize. someone's gotta work the jobs from the million+ dead from covid i guess

Do you think tech workers aren't working class? Read a book a wikipedia article.
FE: lets be realistic.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Al! posted:

not my problem

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

really good time to hit up the south lake union goodwill, fellas

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Weka posted:

Do you think tech workers aren't working class? Read a book a wikipedia article.
FE: lets be realistic.

There is an extreme difference between what you can do by yourself as a 100k+/yr salaried programmer, and what someone who washes dishes/does trade labor/whatever, who splits costs with somebody (or two somebodies!).

Like if nothing else changed except I had fixed work hours and guaranteed stable income in that range, I would effectively be in a different class than where i'm at now, yes.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yup. Rippling.com. See this thread. https://twitter.com/parkerconrad/status/1634237386564730882

tl;dr: A lot of payroll checks that were cut earlier this week were routed through SVB but didn't make it to their recipients before SVB was shut down.

this one's going to ripple through the startup world!

my company's looking to be on the line for about $3 million they had in SVB and I think it's sheer luck that they had most of their money elsewhere

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

There is an extreme difference between what you can do by yourself as a 100k+/yr salaried programmer, and what someone who washes dishes/does trade labor/whatever, who splits costs with somebody (or two somebodies!).

Like if nothing else changed except I had fixed work hours and guaranteed stable income in that range, I would effectively be in a different class than where i'm at now, yes.

The worker/capital distinction fundamentally revolves around people who receive wages for their labor (who are considered a cost to be minimized), and people who earn profits from capital they own via the exploitation of that labor (which is to be maximized) . That social distinction is sufficiently more important than "I make less money than this other jerk" or "I am stupid and ugly" that people have written books about it and everything you can maybe try reading one.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Riot Bimbo posted:

lol

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

da class understander

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Riot Bimbo posted:

I love the marxist forum

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
and heres why baristas arent workers,

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Pussy Boss posted:

Biden proposed a capital gains tax hike now that Republicans control the House? Lol that rules.

He couldnt propose it before he was certain it would go nowhere.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Riot Bimbo posted:

you kinda suck but i'll be serious: it's unhealthy to think of politics as anything other than an abstract layer of conflict whose efficacy is entirely predicated on the ability to back something up with force, and relative to what is being done to folks just for existing, doxxing a card-carrying bartender and causing social+economic woes to them is honestly pulling your punches a bit too much from a moral perspective. it is kinder than what's deserved.

it's always okay to doxx front of house and front of house-adjacent people, hope this helps.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Riot Bimbo posted:

You maybe be in separate classes (categories) but those are both subsets of working class.

E: dividing the working class like this is a tool capital uses top prevent class solidarity.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

SV collapsing and tech bros eating a big ol poo poo sandwich is certainly going to make some people "hard"

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tech entrepreneurs should eat poo poo, coders should not, no matter how overpaid they may be.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Oh no, not the "family offices"

Weka
May 5, 2019

Virtual Russian posted:

Tech entrepreneurs should eat poo poo, coders should not, no matter how overpaid they may be.

By "eat poo poo" it seems you mean "get paid less", so disagree.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

There's two classes, working and unemployed

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

SorePotato posted:

There's three classes: asses, gasses, grasses

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sounds like some folks got seriously dong-razzled and now all of their "money" is "away from them"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

SorePotato posted:

fighter and magic user

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Send them to the countryside uncle joe

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

gonna lol if there are just enough chuds in the government to let the bank eat poo poo just because Nancy Pelosi's money is in it

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Turtle Sandbox posted:

He couldnt propose it before he was certain it would go nowhere.

That's how the Democrat Party scam works, yes

Anyway I hope a few billionaires lose all their money from this, but not gonna hold my breath

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Weka posted:

By "eat poo poo" it seems you mean "get paid less", so disagree.

Not at all, I'm not big on the whole "crabs in a bucket" thing. People itt are suggesting they deserve to be out of work. I do believe the whole tech sector is massively inflated by very cheap money, and we are seeing maybe the first major crack in that system. That bubble isn't tech workers fault at all, if I didn't have a learning disability that prevents me from coding I probably would have gone down that path eons ago. I would much rather my former comrades in retail be overpaid than see other workers brought down to starvation wages.

Tech entrepreneurs are not workers and I don't give two shits what happens to them.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I do understand the animosity against tech workers though, as a whole they tend to express negative solidarity with workers. I've been told to "learn to code" many a time by some rear end in a top hat coder. When I point out I'm not capable of coding they usually double down.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I think silicon valley might have just died

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

speng31b posted:

I think silicon valley might have just died

Let's make the castro a gay neighborhood again and give palm springs back to elderly canadians, then

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Let's make the castro a gay neighborhood again and give palm springs back to elderly canadians, then

Please do, anything to get them out of Canada

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Virtual Russian posted:

Tech entrepreneurs are not workers and I don't give two shits what happens to them.

You already know what happens to them: they fail upwards

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm sorry to all my fellow workers who are out of a job because of this but honestly if you had a job at one of these goof rear end VC money pits and you didn't treat it like it could fall apart from a stiff breeze at any moment at least a little is on you

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

teachers stay winning

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

nah sfo is just going to remain an emptied out husk after the tech capital dries up

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

people that make more in company stock than salary aren't workers :getin:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I'm sorry to all my fellow workers who are out of a job because of this but honestly if you had a job at one of these goof rear end VC money pits and you didn't treat it like it could fall apart from a stiff breeze at any moment at least a little is on you

if anybody wasn't dumping as much of their income that they could possibly afford into a savings account then idk what they have been thinking for the past 2 years

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

it's amazing how substantially castro has been de-gayed in the past decade by tech workers lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1634211637774233600?t=HYxQ9zhq3pWISOLCijpx9w&s=19

:eyepop: :popeye: :eyepop: