Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Me climbing into my company-issued go-kart this morning: "I bet life is going to be like this forever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/svb_financial/status/1632818336391213059?s=46&t=ZGPT1wZ0jTabiO3tTzdCxw

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

nah sfo is just going to remain an emptied out husk after the tech capital dries up

imagine detroit except theyre still trying to get like 5 million dollars for a burned out abandoned rowhouse

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1634325938275258368

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

We are forgetting the real victims in all of this: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and rock climbing gyms

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao that all of these companies are going to get a bailout

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I'm sorry to all my fellow workers who are out of a job because of this but honestly if you had a job at one of these goof rear end VC money pits and you didn't treat it like it could fall apart from a stiff breeze at any moment at least a little is on you

i hear mcdonalds is always hirign

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

We are forgetting the real victims in all of this: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and rock climbing gyms
rip Cross Fit

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yup, if you can tou h a computer you can flip a burger!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Learn To Flip :rolleyes:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Going to a rock gym and finding out half the people there live in their car will be a pleasant throwback to the 90s climbing scene

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Virtual Russian posted:

Not at all, I'm not big on the whole "crabs in a bucket" thing. People itt are suggesting they deserve to be out of work. I do believe the whole tech sector is massively inflated by very cheap money, and we are seeing maybe the first major crack in that system. That bubble isn't tech workers fault at all, if I didn't have a learning disability that prevents me from coding I probably would have gone down that path eons ago. I would much rather my former comrades in retail be overpaid than see other workers brought down to starvation wages.

Tech entrepreneurs are not workers and I don't give two shits what happens to them.

They probably won't be out of work permanently though, right? So they've had a period of over payment and now a period of no payment. Seems like it might balance out.

Virtual Russian posted:

I do understand the animosity against tech workers though, as a whole they tend to express negative solidarity with workers. I've been told to "learn to code" many a time by some rear end in a top hat coder. When I point out I'm not capable of coding they usually double down.

lol this sounds about right.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

really queer Christmas posted:

Yup, if you can tou h a computer you can flip a burger!!!

Doubt.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i would try to start a union, but i think they would hold me back from what i'm capable of with AirB&B

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

desperately trying to make a kanban for hamburger construction progress from rows of grease stained napkins, getting overwhelmed and collapsing to the floor sobbing. the guy I replaced was fired because he wouldn't make any hamburgers without a user story first. this will have been the worst week in the 16 year old lunch manager's entire life.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The majority of these VC monsters will be fine, but I get a big smile on my face thinking of them having to cook instead of drink a meal for the first time in their lives.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
It is good that this will harm tech workers because computers were a mistake and given that labour creates all things then it's the workers fault we have computers

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Get them to gently caress off from Austin PLZ!!!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

better to knock a bunch of tech workers out of the middle class than let the working class have any room to negotiate or unionize. someone's gotta work the jobs from the million+ dead from covid i guess

middle class 😂 😂 😂

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

sxsw is probably very very funny this year

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

son, you're not cooking a hamburger, you're crafting a narrative

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

that new Google building is so fuckin ugly lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

sounds to me like VCs won't eat too much poo poo, but a thousand small to mid sized startups will just suddenly not make payroll, so that was very foreseeable but still kinda sucks

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

big dong wanter posted:

It is good that this will harm tech workers because computers were a mistake and given that labour creates all things then it's the workers fault we have computers

we must be punished until we can foment the butlerian jihad

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/crupicrupicrupi/status/1634321772592939009

Lmfao how many of these companies are going to go under

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Hundreds at least, probably

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
don't bold your posts

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

deport them all back to commiefornia

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

don't bold your posts

no

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

deport them all back to commiefornia
gently caress off we're full. we don't want them. deport them all back to the midwest like Wisconsin where they came from

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Zero Joe Biden will save them

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Al! posted:

and heres why baristas arent workers,

i just made a big pot of coffee who wants coffee ten years from now

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
How long until us intelligence announces that china is behind this

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

How long until us intelligence announces that china is behind this

you just did :nsa:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Another OSINT success story

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Of course Larry Summers wants to bail out SVB... Of Course!

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1634263511600619520

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/wideofthepost/status/1362995712372408320

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Riot Bimbo posted:

There is an extreme difference between what you can do by yourself as a 100k+/yr salaried programmer, and what someone who washes dishes/does trade labor/whatever, who splits costs with somebody (or two somebodies!).

Like if nothing else changed except I had fixed work hours and guaranteed stable income in that range, I would effectively be in a different class than where i'm at now, yes.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

you kinda suck but i'll be serious: it's unhealthy to think of politics as anything other than an abstract layer of conflict whose efficacy is entirely predicated on the ability to back something up with force, and relative to what is being done to folks just for existing, doxxing a card-carrying bartender and causing social+economic woes to them is honestly pulling your punches a bit too much from a moral perspective. it is kinder than what's deserved.

it's always okay to doxx front of house and front of house-adjacent people, hope this helps.

lmao