Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
British save your money guy was on the BBC telling people how low you can set your thermostat before you start risking long term health hazards, so things are going well for many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

if that's a real core temp and not like a forehead scanner thing that's no bullshit hypothermia

i guess that's canada for you eh

In mouth thermometer. It isn't even that cold out today, hovering just above freezing out. I'm home sick without the heat on and just thought I had also started running a bad fever. Whoops, very wrong about that. Almost up to 96 (35.5C) now.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
virtual russian posting till hes blue in the face

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

virtual russian posting till hes blue in the face

literally freezing to death on my posting hill.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

No I agree, but I could understand if that was your skill set. Thiel is one of the worst in the bunch and we all have to account for our actions.

what the gently caress is a skill set

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

i am harry posted:

what the gently caress is a skill set

it's like posting style

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Dude if your body temp is 94.5 you're having a Very Bad Time

Posting during and through death

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Came dangerously close to becoming a goon legend.

A good lesson in not just assuming you know what is wrong with yourself. I only checked my temp because I thought I was burning up with fever and was wondering if maybe I had covid in addition to a stomach bug.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Riot Bimbo posted:

jesus lol i know about the basic marxist idea of class as defined by relationship to labor, and yeah in that way tech workers are in the same class but lol if you think salaried coders are living the same life as people further down making fractions of their income.

There is a distinction there worth making, and it's no shock that is the income level you get people extremely disinterested in anything involving worker solidarity.

Not saying they aren't "workers" in a strictly marxist sense. Of course they are, but if you're pretending you have anything in common with low level wage workers beyond that you're full of it lol

Im skipping 4 pages but you are stupid. You are just a traditional democrat. Its neat that theres a whole forum for you to post in, and its also neat that I can call you a dumbass. Nothing about this is particularly complicated but its still above you, somehow.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Virtual Russian posted:

Came dangerously close to becoming a goon legend.

A good lesson in not just assuming you know what is wrong with yourself. I only checked my temp because I thought I was burning up with fever and was wondering if maybe I had covid in addition to a stomach bug.

almost got to the paradoxical undressing stage. woulda died naked

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Imperialist tech workers eat poo poo!!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

My partner would have stopped things from getting too bad when she got home. Still, I would never have thought I'd be so out of touch with what was happening. I felt quite hot and attributed my shaking to both being sick, not eating all day, and also being mad haha.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Mar 11, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Im skipping 4 pages but you are stupid. You are just a traditional democrat. Its neat that theres a whole forum for you to post in, and its also neat that I can call you a dumbass. Nothing about this is particularly complicated but its still above you, somehow.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I'm guessing anarchist, personally.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

happy seeing you fall

sorry for the landing

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Al! posted:

what the gently caress is a throwing ax barn

Not much, what the gently caress is a throwing ax barn with you?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Computer touchers who own land fuming atm

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

I'll pretend to work all day for a cot in a Janitor's closet and whatever's left of the instant coffee in the break room

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

True enough, they were civilians of a sort. But innocent? Gimme a break. They formed a technical and financial corps at the very heart of America's global empire the "mighty engine of profit" to which the military dimension of U.S. policy has always been enslaved and they did so both willingly and knowingly. Recourse to "ignorance" a derivative, after all, of the word "ignore" counts as less than an excuse among this relatively well-educated elite. To the extent that any of them were unaware of the costs and consequences to others of what they were involved in and in many cases excelling at it was because of their absolute refusal to see. More likely, it was because they were too busy braying, incessantly and self-importantly, into their monitors, arranging power lunches and pushing code, each of which translated, conveniently out of sight, mind and smelling distance, into the starved and rotting flesh of infants. If there was a better, more effective, or in fact any other way of visiting some penalty befitting their participation upon the little Bachmans inhabiting the sterile sanctuary of Silicon Valley, I'd really be interested in hearing about it.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I've basically been inconsolable at these recent events. When I think of the pain all these computer experts are going through, it tears me up inside. How could this happen?!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Virtual Russian posted:

Anyone here not some kind of self-loathing computer toucher?

I'm not self loathing, in fact I think I'm pretty great!

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Riot Bimbo posted:

jesus lol i know about the basic marxist idea of class as defined by relationship to labor, and yeah in that way tech workers are in the same class but lol if you think salaried coders are living the same life as people further down making fractions of their income.

There is a distinction there worth making, and it's no shock that is the income level you get people extremely disinterested in anything involving worker solidarity.

Not saying they aren't "workers" in a strictly marxist sense. Of course they are, but if you're pretending you have anything in common with low level wage workers beyond that you're full of it lol

I don't think people who do service jobs are below me or "low level". I would never call them that, because I respect them

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I don't think people who do service jobs are below me or "low level". I would never call them that, because I respect them

i dont

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

refill my popcorn bucket

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
This probably should cause some tech workers to think "woah. i actually have nothing and am easily disenfranchised/dispossessed"

but as soon as Wells JP of America Morgan gets wrangled into buying svb and coder paychecks start flowing back into bank accounts, all will be forgiven

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

check out this bourgeoisie scum (musician)'s take on labor 😂

https://streamable.com/iyk55p

speng31b
May 8, 2010

seeing a lot of people who describe their job as machine learning worried about getting paid next week, lol

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

you are a class traitor

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

It's very funny to wake up this morning and check slack to see if the CEO of the place I work has posted anything new about whether or not we are getting paid next week and seeing that people actually continued to work yesterday after the announcement that money isn't real and everybody is getting hosed

speng31b
May 8, 2010

It's very funny to wake up this morning and check slack to see if the CEO of the place I work has posted anything new about whether or not we are getting paid next week and seeing that people actually continued to work yesterday after the announcement that money isn't real and everybody is getting hosed

@ your ceo in the public channel and ask him, he's just a person.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

speng31b posted:

@ your ceo in the public channel and ask him, he's just a person.

You're not gonna trick me into working on a Saturday buddy

speng31b
May 8, 2010

You're not gonna trick me into working on a Saturday buddy

if he had an important question for you,.hed ask you on sunday night

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

speng31b posted:

seeing a lot of people who describe their job as machine learning worried about getting paid next week, lol

Maybe they should get the machines to learn them some paychecks and bitches

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Al! posted:

not my problem

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

You're laughing. D0ggu the phone app that lets you keep track of your dog's periods just went bankrupt and you're laughing.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

I've seen startups you people wouldn't believe. Food delivery robots on fire off the shoulder of the highway. I watched Fyre festival 2 glitter in the dark near little Saint James island. All those startups will be lost in time like .... tears .... in rain :negative:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/anthony/status/1634586552645894144?s=46

:stonklol:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Al! posted:

not my problem

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

speng31b posted:

I think silicon valley might have just died

instead of using explosives, max zorin should have opened a bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/03/great-resignation-quit-job-regret/673346/

what is wrong with people

quote:

In my dreams, Google begs me to come back. Human resources tells me that they have the perfect software-engineering role and that I alone can do it. Even though it’s been three years since I quit—frustrated by sexual harassment, an excruciating HR investigation, and being discouraged from applying for a promotion, which led to a reduction in pay—I always accept their offer, flooded with joy and relief. I clip my holographic badge back on to my belt loop; I clutch my corporate MacBook to my chest. Reunited with my colleagues, I throw myself back into debugging, ecstatic that my life has a clear purpose again.