Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've absolutely seen AI Art that looks indistinguishable from human drawn art; or requires such close scrutiny as to be basically indistinguishable by a lay person; which is most people. Especially art that's part of a hybrid process of both hand drawn and AI generated steps that get merged together, for example AI artworks which result in being "fixed" by a human artist, as just an example there's dozens of combinations in ways human artists get involved in the AI process to make results even more hard to tell apart. Which by the stated positions I've seen earlier in the thread would also be unacceptable and thus more so untenable as a policy in practice.

People who are unaware of these programs' ability to generate images that are indistinguishable from purely human work are people who haven't been paying attention, and will continue not to pay attention. There's no point in engaging with an argument coming from that perspective, don't waste your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Given the way this stuff has gone in the recent past, I'd expect a vtuber thread style meltdown from AI "art" posters at some point anyways. Rutibex's permaban proved that it'll probably be a funny one, though! It makes it worth quarantining it.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I think a containment thread is the best option. Keep all the ai-haters in there so outside that thread posters can post without all this hostility.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm still firmly of the opinion that because this <last few pages of posts> will happen in any thread that ai poo poo is discussed or posted, that should be one thread in tg instead of all threads in tg.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

nelson posted:

It is rather interesting how
History repeats itself.

Yeah the luddites were correct about everything and got painted by corporate propaganda as technology hating loonies so those concerns could be dismissed in the public eye.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kestral posted:

How would you even enforce a TradGames ban on AI content, when that content is increasingly difficult to distinguish from the output of purely human endeavor?

Oh, it's pretty simple. Most posts about AI content right now are enthusiast posts actively volunteering OMG LOOK WHAT AI DID!!!!!!

There's nothing to discuss about enthusiast posts. The desired response is, what, more enthusiasm? But there's really nothing to build on in that response.

When there's something to discuss in what you've posted, it's a good post for a discussion forum.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kestral posted:

How would you even enforce a TradGames ban on AI content, when that content is increasingly difficult to distinguish from the output of purely human endeavor?

Idk why you are trying to strawman this into oblivion: If you accidentally post something AI-based, well that sucks and it happens. Someone points and laughs and you try not to do it again. If you are pushing this dogshit, then we exile you to the containment thread and you get a 6er. This isn't loving rocket science. The notion that WE have to be the AIs and are unable to exercise critical thinking is dumb af (even though clearly there are posters here for whom this is a large hurdle).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm busy as hell this weekend, we've got more reports, things have gotten a lot nastier. Gonna hand out some probations for the worst rear end in a top hat posts. To answer one question addressed to me, yes, we left the discussion open, and there have been new posters on every page of it, so I think that was important to do. I do not think anyone is making novel points any more though.

I don't want to preempt Antivehicular but we've started working up language for a no posting AI art in TG outside of the AI art thread rule, and we would like to hear from anyone who'd like to volunteer to write an OP for a new AI art thread. That OP will need to have some rules drafted by mods inserted. If there are no volunteers, I'll do it.

I also absolutely want to reboot this feedback thread, having Podima as the OP sucks. I want to make sure this thread remains accessible, though.

I'm supposed to be patching stucco on my house so I apologize if this takes some time. Despite the frankly mindboggling level of anger and expressed urgency, this is not in fact an incredibly urgent situation that must be resolved in the next 24 hours, so I beg you all to take a deep breath and go back to posting normally about TG stuff in the meantime, and I promise to have all of the above taken care of by Monday at the latest, subject to change if Antivehicular or an admin disagrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A new feedback thread is up!