Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Low effort white noise "look at this picture/backstory I generated with AI" posts are annoying and should be banned. But there's lots of other annoying non-AI low effort white noise posts that should also be banned. Effort posts that have AI aspects to them are fine and should be allowed anywhere on the forum.

I also suggest making an anti-AI containment zone thread for people to talk about various issues they have with AI stuff in so they don't spam up the rest of the forum with it, because it's usually not going to be on topic for Trad Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't really see this as fundamentally different from people wanting to talk about D&D in the forum that's made for talking about tabletop games. Wizards of the Coast as a company has a history of some pretty questionable practices, that doesn't mean the solution is banning D&D from Trad Games. Repeatedly barging into the D&D specific thread to yell at people about D&D's business practices is probably also not something that's desirable. The solution is probably putting up a specific thread for people to talk about their legitimate issues with WotC in, and discouraging or banning making GBS threads up other threads on the forum with ethics arguments about a company that isn't going anywhere and has a massive impact on the hobby as a whole.

Whatever your opinions on it, AI is here to stay. The world is changed. It's never going back in the box. And I don't think Trad Games as a forum would benefit from ostriching over it.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Something I'd be interested in is seeing examples of the sorts of posts people who support AI think would benefit from the AI inclusion in said posts.

I have a fair bit of experience using AI art in playing TTRPGs by this point and they're undeniably valuable there. I like having a visual reference for every NPC I expect to be encountering more than once because it helps give people some shared understanding of what they look like, helps to cue the memory of who this person is (sort of like forum avatars!), and is generally evocative. Before AI I had to trawl the internet looking for imperfect matches, because I'm not going to spend a bunch of time, effort, and money commissioning the perfect piece of art for NPCs that might show up three times in a campaign. I haven't entirely stopped doing that, but now I have another tool in my box for generating unique artwork that's "good enough" to suit my purposes. It's also expanded the range of things I can use art for and I make more use of things like scenic backdrops that also help establish an evocative tone for the game.

I've never felt an urge to post about AI stuff on the forum yet, because the sort of things I use it for don't have any overlap with my posting about RPGs. So I'm curious, what sort of AI content posts are people looking to make that they feel would contribute to the forums? I don't think the contribution has to clear a particularly high bar either, there's plenty of posts that don't add very much that aren't banned.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

There is, clearly, no consensus on if AI belongs in Trad Games or not.