Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://www.stuff.co.nz/politics/350212958/green-mp-suspended-amid-migration-exploitation-claims

This is going to be really bad and poo poo for the greens. Looks like there's a bunch of he-said-she-said going on so it'll drag on for ages in the news unless Darlene resigns.

quote:

The Green Party has suspended one of its MPs, Darleen Tana, and appointed an independent lawyer to investigate her conduct after a Stuff investigation into allegations of migrant exploitation at a business owned by her husband.

The Greens suspended Tana on Thursday afternoon after Stuff put a series of questions to her about the allegations that the company, E-Bikes NZ, employed a worker who was in New Zealand on a visitor visa, and paid him in cash until he secured a work visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

voiceless anal fricative posted:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/politics/350212958/green-mp-suspended-amid-migration-exploitation-claims

This is going to be really bad and poo poo for the greens. Looks like there's a bunch of he-said-she-said going on so it'll drag on for ages in the news unless Darlene resigns.

oh greens party no

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
The fun part is it only matters because green voters care. If an act mp did that their supporters would probably praise their business sense.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seems like a good thing?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

carrionman posted:

The fun part is it only matters because green voters care. If an act mp did that their supporters would probably praise their business sense.

even green voters will have forgotten all about it by the next election

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

as more and more details have come out it's looking pretty impossible for Darlene to come back from this. She needs to resign, then Chloe can turn it around and talk about how valuable the ERA is and why is the ACT party planning to gut it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Aw man I knew her from the ferry, she was really lovely

Her husband was always a weird dude though, something about him just seemed off

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

even green voters will have forgotten all about it by the next election

I more mean the small business spokesperson being done for migrant exploitation feels like a water being wet situation and the only reason it's worth a comment is because the greens try to be better.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Winston Peters has taken the stage to the tune of Tubthumping by Chumbawamba.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

exmarx posted:

Winston Peters has taken the stage to the tune of Tubthumping by Chumbawamba.

Appropriate, hearing him talk makes me want a whisky drink AND a vodka drink.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Also appropriate in that he's pissing the night away

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Chumbawamba would be loving fuming about this. Their entire ethos was (is?) of anarcho-punk.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
In response, David Seymour walks out to "Longview" by Green Day, and it hits the line about masturbation just as he reaches the podium

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

In response, David Seymour walks out to "Longview" by Green Day, and it hits the line about masturbation just as he reaches the podium

What's next, Simeon Brown walking out to Boulevard of broken dreams?
(Except its inexpertly dubbed over every instance of "walk" with "drive")

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

All sounds pretty legal to me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The spinoff have been doing great work on urban development stuff lately, fascinating essay here but check out their war for Wellington posts

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

He should walk in to a cabinet meeting to “Having a Blast”

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's interesting how the spin off's wellington coverage is way better than their auckland coverage. coincidence ?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

exmarx posted:

it's interesting how the spin off's wellington coverage is way better than their auckland coverage. coincidence ?

Wellington needs all the help it can get rn

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Auckland is beyond redemption so who cares

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Davey S already has a well established canonical theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV0hwZwNQZc

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
You mean https://youtu.be/E4TLto-nKfU?si=AC1KdpY8jrgExsFP

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

I was expecting Tounge tied, but that is more of Luxon's thing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Chumbawamba would be loving fuming about this. Their entire ethos was (is?) of anarcho-punk.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/19-03-2024/chumbawamba-not-happy-about-winston-peters-use-of-tubthumping

quote:

In a statement, Boff Whalley, formerly the lead guitarist, said, ‘Tubthumping’ was written “as a song of hope and positivity, so it seems entirely odd that the ‘I get knocked down…’ refrain is being used by New Zealand’s deputy prime minister Winston Peters as he barks his divisive, small-minded, bigoted policies during his recent speeches”.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Right, Spinoff intern reading the thread - out yourself.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
big decrepit baby on deaths door. yung wizened. li'l octagenarian MP

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the video is undeniably very funny

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Can anyone explain why RNZ has like half a dozen articles hyping up a DJ called Fred again...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

He's a good DJ op

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Though he's also English gentry so you don't gotta hand it to him I suppose

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
we simply cannot comprehend the journalistic standards of an organisation like rnz. any explanation would be wasted on us

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Can anyone explain why RNZ has like half a dozen articles hyping up a DJ called Fred again...

I'm racking my brains and I don't think I've ever actually met a human called Fred. I'm fairly sure I've met a cat or a dog named Fred, however.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Someone told me he was playing gigs in Aussie and he was gonna come here and relax but like with 2 weeks notice decided to do a show so that's why it's on the news.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
More like sir Russell cunts.

gently caress your sailing poo poo, go away and don't come back.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

carrionman posted:

More like sir Russell cunts.

gently caress your sailing poo poo, go away and don't come back.

Yeah this

I work in a bar not far from lyttelton and we’ve got the place festooned with flags and model boats and poo poo. All the dickhead boomers booking in to drink Heinekens and watch boats tacking. Everyone talking about it constantly and acting genuinely excited for some loving reason I can’t comprehend

Can’t wait for it to be over with for another year

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah this

I work in a bar not far from lyttelton and we’ve got the place festooned with flags and model boats and poo poo. All the dickhead boomers booking in to drink Heinekens and watch boats tacking. Everyone talking about it constantly and acting genuinely excited for some loving reason I can’t comprehend

i dont get it either but its a bit more endearing if you imagine that they're that interested in trains or planes

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah this

Absolute pricks, going out to enjoy an event, spending money at your establishment. Utter wankers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Absolute pricks, going out to enjoy an event, spending money at your establishment. Utter wankers.

I mean if I worked at a bar I can see why you might see any patrons as dickheads.