Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trouser Mouse Bear
Mar 20, 2004
Bancount - 1

cptn_dr posted:

He's a good DJ op

He's objectively not a good DJ, nor is he a good musician (plus he's a toff, and i have a burning prejudice against the aristocracy). But, as is the way of the world, the cream doesn't rise to the top, just the people with the most followers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trouser Mouse Bear posted:

He's objectively not a good DJ, nor is he a good musician (plus he's a toff, and i have a burning prejudice against the aristocracy). But, as is the way of the world, the cream doesn't rise to the top, just the people with the most followers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iQmPv_dTI0

Lol yes he is you silly person

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Time for the yearly "increase the rates of Maori and Pasifika passing your course" notice.

No suggestions on how, just do it. Why are they not passing? Who knows, just fix it.
Is it structural? Irrelevant. Rates need to come up.

Serious management brain on display.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Still lolling at the time they told me I should not enforce strict class start times as this may not fit with others cultural values...

Then they gave me poo poo because I was allowing students to come in late and this wasn't allowed as I'm supposed to be delivering set hours per week and I wasn't staying late for the ones who didn't start on time.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

In related news, UoA announced today that they're merging the faculties of arts, education and social work, and creative arts and industries. Architecture and planning might get rolled in too, or it'll be combined with engineering.

I'm sure this is exactly as they claim, a measure simply to "increase collaboration across and within faculties, enhance the scale and concentration needed for future success and build on our excellence in teaching and research in those areas" and "enable greater experiential learning opportunities and provide access to a wider variety of courses and subjects for our students". It's definitely not so that they can massively cut jobs and funding.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

carrionman posted:

Still lolling at the time they told me I should not enforce strict class start times as this may not fit with others cultural values...

Then they gave me poo poo because I was allowing students to come in late and this wasn't allowed as I'm supposed to be delivering set hours per week and I wasn't staying late for the ones who didn't start on time.

Does staying late and doing unpaid overtime not fit with your cultural values?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can anyone translate Luxon's corporate speak for me? About half of their list of priorities for the next quarter are to "take decisions on" various things. Does that just mean "make" decisions? Or does it mean something else, like collect decisions, like consulting? Or "make decisions and take action"?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it means make decisions. arguably it implies non-final decisions on an issue i guess.

this seems bad lol:

quote:

Luxon has been criticised for his use of urgency - which he has rejected - in the Government’s first 100 days, but he said urgency would still be used in the next quarter where appropriate.

“There’s obviously things that will still invoke urgency, I would imagine. There is a lot that we also want public consultation on and we want proper process around - which is important.”

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

it means make decisions. arguably it implies non-final decisions on an issue i guess.

Yeah I assume it's a deliberately vague w/r/t finality so they can't be held accountable for delivering anything tangible on those points. It's still doing my head in because it means some of this awful poo poo could be arriving in the next 100 days, or it could still be years away.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i would like the next labour government (in 2032) to spend a bunch of urgency on undoing stuff from this govt

i would also like a pony

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

redleader posted:

i would also like a pony

In this economy?

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Just when the hundred days is over, Luxon produces another list of how to make things worse. And a extremely vague one, as the artist formerly known as bike tory pointed out. "7. Introduce legislation to improve the rental market." really needs a qualifier as to whom it is improving the market for.

The amount of long term damage this government is doing is breathtaking. Possibly a brilliant political strategy too. My feeling is that when the eventual Labour/Greens government replaces them, their inability to provide quick fixes for generational damage will tank them in the polls.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

luxon posted:

There is a lot that we also want public consultation on and we want proper process around - which is important.

"we" want? we? You mean surely the citizens who you loving work for. Arrogant prick

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The public consultation and proper process shall be limited to a single day.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ghostlight posted:

The public consultation and proper process shall be limited to a single day.

Well that's just being efficient

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Please go and vote to own Simeon Brown

https://www.stuff.co.nz/politics/350232112/battle-bike-lanes-simeon-brown-v-cyclists

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Disturbing how close the numbers are

Cars are a psychological cancer

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Don't read the comments. I guess that goes without saying with stuff.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trompe le Monde posted:

Don't read the comments. I guess that goes without saying with stuff.

they seem fine? people arguing on both sides, some I agree with some I don't...? maybe I didn't scroll down far enough to see the ones from the nazi lizard fascists, I just looked at the top few

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So a mate is moving into a lovely shoebox place because he suffers from poorness

The bathroom sink is mounted outside of the bathroom, on carpet, and is also the kitchenette sink

The rules include no visitors staying past 9pm, a total ban on group gatherings, and no blue tack on the walls without express permission

We live in hell lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Slavvy posted:

The rules include no visitors staying past 9pm, a total ban on group gatherings,

is that actually legal? i thought there was some degree of legal protection for your right to enjoy your rental as your own home. unless you're living with your landlord, in which case lol gently caress you you have no rights, but it doesn't sound like the sort of place a landlord would live

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I sleep in a big bed with my landlord

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah those are not enforceable rules under the law, but the power imbalance between landlords and tenants is so hosed that whatever hosed up rules landlords decide to write in might as well be the law.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Yeah those are not enforceable rules under the law, but the power imbalance between landlords and tenants is so hosed that whatever hosed up rules landlords decide to write in might as well be the law.

What I figured

Landlords obliterating society, many such cases

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

there is no such thing as society. there are individual rent payers and leaseholders and kainga ora

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

they seem fine? people arguing on both sides, some I agree with some I don't...? maybe I didn't scroll down far enough to see the ones from the nazi lizard fascists, I just looked at the top few

Just a lot of frustrating comments about cycling, maybe I've just been overexposed to them

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

voiceless anal fricative posted:

They're not enforceable mostly but under this govt the landlord can call up Chris Bishop to personally come and enforce them

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Is it technically a boarding house or bedsit? The laws may differ due to multiple occupants. I remember in the 90's visiting a friend's uncle in his bedsit, it was much like you described and incredibly bleak.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty sure it's a boarding house yeah

Functionally it is a building with dozens of really lovely motel rooms

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah boarding houses have a bit more discretion for landlords to set rules like that because arguments are more valid around restrictions that protect everyone's right to peaceful enjoyment or whatever the law says.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

e: gently caress, Imgur doesn't allow more than 1 minute uploads. Enjoy a three parter:

https://i.imgur.com/LCD2HX6.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/5eVDqQd.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/JpXXmXb.mp4

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 7, 2024

klen dool
May 7, 2007

First one is busted :/

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Man, what's gotten into forest and bird?
Now seems like the perfect time to start legal proceedings against an organisation that's been running for 30 years, and burn any goodwill they had among the various hunting and game organizations.

It's pretty rare I hope that environmental orgs get the poo poo slapped out of them in court but these donkeys need it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

carrionman posted:

Now seems like the perfect time to start legal proceedings against an organisation that's been running for 30 years, and burn any goodwill they had among the various hunting and game organizations.

It's pretty rare I hope that environmental orgs get the poo poo slapped out of them in court but these donkeys need it.

I don't know! what has got into forest and bird? who have they started legal proceedings against?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

The government, over the fast tracking project poo poo which falls foul of international treaty/free trade obligations for transparency and standards on environmental care.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/in-depth/513066/fast-track-bill-could-breach-free-trade-deals-environmentalists-claim

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

carrionman posted:

Nah gently caress that. Shoot every deer and get it the gently caress out of the environment.

The crux of the issue is that our laws say that indigenous species take precedence, but the DoC has essentially entrenched the deer occupation of Fioreland due to the contract hunters managing rather than eliminating the species.

The hunters can talk about how it's "madness" and what they do is "common sense conservation" to manage the deer levels so they don't damage the environment but the ideal deer level is supposed to be zero, not enough to maintain recreational hunting.

Keeping the government accountable to their laws and stated goals is the whole reason to have independent outfits like Forest and Bird.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 7, 2024

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Nah gently caress that. Shoot every deer and get it the gently caress out of the environment.

The crux of the issue is that our laws say that indigenous species take precedence, but the DoC has essentially entrenched the deer occupation of Fioreland due to the contract hunters managing rather than eliminating the species.

The hunters can talk about how it's "madness" and what they do is "common sense conservation" to manage the deer levels so they don't damage the environment but the ideal deer level is supposed to be zero, not enough to maintain recreational hunting.

Keeping the government accountable to their laws and stated goals is the whole reason to have independent outfits like Forest and Bird.

You feed my family then.
For that matter you do the pest control that is funded via the foundation.

Hell, I assume that you're keen to expand that out to a cull of all cats and dogs in the country?

carrionman fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 7, 2024

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Why won't Forest & Bird support the destructive introduced species I like?? :bahgawd:

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Less that, and why go for a charity now, after 30 loving years of it existing, under one of the least environmentally conscious, pro guns and hunter govs we've had in a long time?

It's not like we don't have tons of pest species that would benefit from a major cull/ extermination effort, like bloody wallabies. But no, let's focus on one of the single most heavily managed and controlled groups of them all, managed by an organization that is doing docs job with pest control, funded by those heavily managed animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I think it seems like a strange thing to go after compared to other pests like goats pigs, wallabies like you mentioned, but those are enormous nation-wide populations as opposed to one comparatively localised species.

From the article https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/350234555/forest-and-bird-take-aim-fiordland-wapiti-hunting it seems like they are worried about it setting up a situation where the Wapiti population is permanently established as a managed herd, rather than still aiming for eradication.

"YoU FEeD My FaMiLy Then" lmao get hosed