Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

carrionman posted:

You feed my family then.

As a communist, i want to! The government doesn't though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Actually if you want to feed your family meat, raise rabbit or chooks and feed them that, I guarantee that would be way cheaper than loving hunting deer

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

quote:

He feared if Forest & Bird won the review, it could spell the end of management of the species by the Foundation.

“This could be the end of the wapiti herd as we know it in New Zealand and that’s a pretty sad reality.

“I think Forest & Bird do some fantastic work, but what we do is common sense conservation by removing an introduced pest, which in turn helps native species,’’ he said.

So you agree it's an introduced pest, and removing it helps native species. But ending the herd would be....bad? Huh?

quote:

“We’ve never found a method of eradicating deer but we have got a method of control now that is one of the best mechanisms available’’.

I would simply shoot more?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Please feed MY family, all we have are these native loving birds everywhere and no large ungulates that I'm allowed to hunt in the wilds of Naenae.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

klen dool posted:

Actually if you want to feed your family meat, raise rabbit or chooks and feed them that, I guarantee that would be way cheaper than loving hunting deer

I'd live to, turns out you need land for that.
I have a couple of farmers I go and get rabbits from.

Also my last deer hunt was about $20 of fuel, one $2 bullet and 30kg of meat. Pretty cheap to me.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Please feed MY family, all we have are these native loving birds everywhere and no large ungulates that I'm allowed to hunt in the wilds of Naenae.

:wrong:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/300368972/calls-for-more-culling-as-deer-munch-their-way-through-hutt-valley-gardens

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Yeah but I apparently need landowners permission because the council and the filth are all woke-ists who won't let me shoot guns into random back yards while trying to provide for my family

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

carrionman posted:

You feed my family then.
For that matter you do the pest control that is funded via the foundation.

Hell, I assume that you're keen to expand that out to a cull of all cats and dogs in the country?
Feral ones, sure. I don't hold domestic ones as so much a priority as they are, by definition, not out in nature loving things up 24/7 with a charity working to make sure they stay there.

If it wasn't clear from my framing, I fully support you hunting these deer to feed your family. In fact I fully support you hunting them to extinction, alongside other damaging wildlife like cows and landlords.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

Feral ones, sure. I don't hold domestic ones as so much a priority as they are, by definition, not out in nature loving things up 24/7 with a charity working to make sure they stay there.

If it wasn't clear from my framing, I fully support you hunting these deer to feed your family. In fact I fully support you hunting them to extinction, alongside other damaging wildlife like cows and landlords.

Yeah cats have charities who dedicate themselves to trapping feral cats and giving them domestic homes. That also helps the domestic population by doing things like addressing the spread of literal infectious diseases causing cancer.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

carrionman posted:

Man, what's gotten into forest and bird?
Now seems like the perfect time to start legal proceedings against an organisation that's been running for 30 years, and burn any goodwill they had among the various hunting and game organizations.

It's pretty rare I hope that environmental orgs get the poo poo slapped out of them in court but these donkeys need it.

I've read the article, from what I can tell, an independent environmental group is objecting to new legislation that allows govt to skip safeguards by offloading the decisionmaking away from public discussion. Their objections appear to be tree-thumping at heart (?), and are quoting pre-existing trade agreements as a means to oppose this. Politicians quoted in the article are focusing on the trade agreement part, ignoring the claimed concern which initialized this.

Why are Forest & Bird the bad guys here, and incidentally they appear to have a anti-deer stance so why did the conversation derail straight into hunting for whatever reason?

Help?

AH, wrong article.
https://newsroom.co.nz/2024/03/28/stoush-over-exotic-elk-in-national-park-breaks-into-the-open/
Yea, gently caress deer. Having a feral population to hunt is what got us loving wild pigs and goats. PIGS. AND. GOATS. Murder them all, even the cute deer.
100% what Ghostlight said.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 8, 2024

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i always cry when bambi's mother gets shot because it means that it will be harder to feed my family

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

carrionman posted:

You feed my family then.

https://www.seek.co.nz

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Please, my son needs venison he is very sick.

He has LackOfWapiti Syndrome

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Oma wapiti, oma wapiti

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Solus posted:

Please, my son needs venison he is very sick.

He has LackOfWapiti Syndrome

My pet deer taika wapititi

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Oma wapiti, oma wapiti

LMAO

klen dool
May 7, 2007

22 bucks is pretty cheap for a whole deer though. No matter how we eradicate deer, I'm positive it won't happen in the next 18 years so any hypothetical family that relies on deer won't be in a position to be relying on one lone hunter with 7 litres of petrol and 1 bullet though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can think of much better uses for one bullet tbh

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I can think of much better uses for one bullet tbh

Cycleways?

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Cool pendant, ideally paired with a white tank top?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I buy my food from the supermarket.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

voiceless anal fricative posted:

I buy my food from the supermarket.

I'm sorry but we're not all as bougie as you.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

carrionman posted:

Hell, I assume that you're keen to expand that out to a cull of all cats and dogs in the country?

Ferel ones that go on a tear through natives?

Absolutely

klen dool
May 7, 2007

gently caress I'd be happy with them all gone, and I have a cat and a dog.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

BuckyDoneGun posted:

So you agree it's an introduced pest, and removing it helps native species. But ending the herd would be....bad? Huh?

No you see the people responsible for eradication of a pest need to be the same people with a vested interest in not eradicating that pest

This just reminds me of when hunters were whinging about the tahr culls

Like bitch the reason we needed tahrmageddon was because leaving it to you to deal with was a complete and utter failure

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

alpaca diseases posted:

No you see the people responsible for eradication of a pest need to be the same people with a vested interest in not eradicating that pest

This just reminds me of when hunters were whinging about the tahr culls

Like bitch the reason we needed tahrmageddon was because leaving it to you to deal with was a complete and utter failure

Fortunately this isn't an issue with residential pest control. Imagine if the guy you get in to deal with a rat infestation insists that you keep a breeding pair alive

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I need those rats to feed my family.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I need those rats to feed my family.

lol

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

Fortunately this isn't an issue with residential pest control. Imagine if the guy you get in to deal with a rat infestation insists that you keep a breeding pair alive

I swear the fucker we get in to try and deal with the ants at work deliberately leaves some behind, little shits.

I'll accept I don't share the views of most of you here, I will say that if anyone is interested in predator eradication, trap.nz has a bunch of projects to join which hopefully isn't too controversial, and they're usually happy for extra hands.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
winston made some hopeful noises about unrwa in his speech at da u.n.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/04/09/winston-peters-calls-gaza-war-utter-catastrophe-in-un-speech/

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Lobsterpillar posted:

Uhhh maybe countdown Woolworths should find a new pet management team

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

No, these are just rats for my family

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Old shub.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
haunting composition

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Expansion pack for Exit 8 looking realistic af

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
All around me are familiar faces...

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2024/04/fallout-tv-show-creators-drew-inspiration-from-new-zealand.html

That 100 day plan's hitting harder than we thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Peeni Henare got in trouble for posting caricatures of David Seymour and Simeon Brown. Stuff put the them in their article, RNZ does article sharing with stuff. So what I'm saying is don't click unless you want to see a garbage pail kid version of Seymour.