Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

wow just imagine how stressful getting emails like this would be if my bank deposits weren't fully insured haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if I was in some kind of bizarro world where deposits weren't guaranteed, I'd feel inclined to withdraw everything and compound the problem!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

good thing there's a bill in select committee at the moment that would introduce deposit insurance up to $100k :)

also that our banking sector is well regulated with fairly high requirements for banks to hold liquid capital

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

good thing there's a bill in select committee at the moment that would introduce deposit insurance up to $100k :)

also that our banking sector is well regulated with fairly high requirements for banks to hold liquid capital

if half of your deposits leave in a panic, it doesn't matter if the required capital margin had been 1% or 20%

but that of course wouldn't be a problem, there's nothing to worry about since it's not like NZ banks are concentr...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nothing will ever happen to our housing stock

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

if half of your deposits leave in a panic, it doesn't matter if the required capital margin had been 1% or 20%

but that of course wouldn't be a problem, there's nothing to worry about since it's not like NZ banks are concentr...

No but the capital requirements put a limit on the risk-weighted assets that banks can hold, which makes a bank run much less likely. The way SVB was behaving that lead to the run wouldn't have been legal in NZ, for e.g.

Deposit insurance is a sensible bit of legislation, but it's not like it prevents bank runs either, nor will it fix the real risk to the NZ banking sector which is the ridiculous concentration of lending around residential property.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the point is that bank runs are powered by psychology, to the point that the strength of the bank's asset mix doesn't matter if everyone's afraid of losing all their money

deposit insurance defeats this fear

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Not entirely, obviously, given the two banks who just got taken out by bank runs!

Confusedslight posted:

https://twitter.com/harrypeterson_/status/1634006375872483329?s=20

Is Roy Morgan a somewhat reliable poll? Because the last poll before this one had the greens on 5.7%.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/485637/labour-rises-in-new-curia-poll-greens-dangerously-close-to-threshold Also thanks for the new updated op!

Curia looking like the outlier with the Kantar poll out now, though overall left/right support fairly close across all three:

quote:

Labour: 36 percent, down 2
National: 34 percent, down 3
ACT: 11 percent, up 1
Green Party: 11 percent, up 4
Te Pāti Māori: 3 percent, up 2
New Zealand First: 3 percent, up 1
TOP: 1 percent, steady
Democracy NZ: 1 percent, steady
New Conservative: 1 percent, steady
Undecided: 13 percent
Preferred PM:

Chris Hipkins: 27 percent, up 4
Christopher Luxon: 17 percent, down 5
David Seymour: 6 percent, steady
Winston Peters: 3 percent, up 1
Jacinda Ardern: 2 percent, down 3
Nicola Willis: 1 percent, up 1
Chloe Swarbrick: 1 percent, steady
Rawiri Waititi: 1 percent, up 1

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/485896/new-poll-shows-labour-could-form-government-with-greens-te-pati-maori

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Relieved to see the greens at 11% and also heh at the preferred prime minister rankings.

Chris Hipkins: 27 percent, up 4
Christopher Luxon: 17 percent, down 5

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

At least Luxon doesn't go by Topher, I guess

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
interesting that they're trying a civil unions → marriage equality move for lowering the voting age

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

exmarx posted:

interesting that they're trying a civil unions → marriage equality move for lowering the voting age

Can you please elaborate?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Anticheese posted:

Can you please elaborate?

I may be wrong but I think it's referring to the approach giving it a slow start - give it to local government first, and then later think about it for central.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

Not entirely, obviously, given the two banks who just got taken out by bank runs!

SVB weren't the only ones to think interest rates rises were a thing of the past. RBNZ only resumed including an interest rate rise as a part of the 2021 stress test scenario after having ignored it since 2014. In that worst-case scenario, the peak OCR rate was 5.5%. We're now only at 4.75% and rising so she'll be right.

For comparison, it was 8.25% in 2007-2008

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Man I generally appreciate Bernard Hickey's take on things but his constant "a vote for the Greens is wasted as long as the Greens will never credibly side with National, because even if Labour needs them for a coalition they have nothing to bargain with if they wouldn't side with National" thing is utterly braindead.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Man I generally appreciate Bernard Hickey's take on things but his constant "a vote for the Greens is wasted as long as the Greens will never credibly side with National, because even if Labour needs them for a coalition they have nothing to bargain with if they wouldn't side with National" thing is utterly braindead.

It makes sense if you view all relationships as transactional I guess

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's true they need to find leverage to get anything from Labour.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If Labour needs them for a coalition they bargain the same way NZ First does - by agreeing to form a coalition with someone so that a government can be made. The fact that the Greens won't form a coalition with National doesn't mean it's not leverage because the leverage would still be that Labour needs them to form a government.
IMO they just historically underuse this leverage because the alternative is a National government that will actively undermine and reverse their policies rather than a Labour government that might throw them whatever beans Winston will allow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok but let's for arguments sake that happens, how can they compel labour to do anything? What are they going to do, break the coalition and disband the government?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Ultimately yes, that's the enforcement leverage?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Ultimately yes, that's the enforcement leverage?

Lol so they have no leverage then

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Every single election we get the punters telling people not to vote for Greens because they're economically dangerous or whatever, then they talk about how the Greens should just eat crow and side with big boy National, then it's about how weak the formed coalition with the Greens is and how Labor can't make any mistakes because of how fragile all those partnerships are.

It's all just dumb window dressing to the core message which is that the party who actually wants to do progress shouldn't be in power because progress now comes at the expense of the rich and powerful. But believe it or not the Greens aren't the only party in Parliament who don't want a National government and are willing to work with others to prevent it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And in exchange for this they get jack poo poo and get to look useless

The fact that this is literally the best case scenario is dismal and depressing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

But believe it or not the Greens aren't the only party in Parliament who don't want a National government and are willing to work with others to prevent it.

neva 4get winnie going labour purely to spite the nats

which time?

all of them

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

winnie 'the scorpion' peters

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

And in exchange for this they get jack poo poo and get to look useless

The fact that this is literally the best case scenario is dismal and depressing

Negotiation with Te Pāti Māori and the Greens would look a lot different from 2017 where Winston had all the power. New Zealand politics is dismal and depressing, looking for the least worst option is as close to hope as it gets.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

cptn_dr posted:

he's extremely dumb in general

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bernard Hickey does good macroeconomic analysis imo. He's kinda racist in an anti immigrant way though, and his other political takes are no better or worse than the average Labour-ish punter.

Re: the Greens, there's a solid faction who want the party to be activists and nothing else. They don't want the party to have any ministers in big portfolios at all because then they're bound by cabinet rules. So it's very possible the Greens wouldn't want to form a full coalition government (something they've never done) even if they were in a position to do so, over a cooperation agreement with confidence and supply. Plenty of members would be happy for the party to sit in opposition.

Also the party decision making on whether to accept a deal or not is done by delegates, usually with the rest of their most active branch members sitting around them thanks to Zoom, so it's not like the party leaders who do the negotiating actually get to make the decision.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

bike tory posted:

Re: the Greens, there's a solid faction who want the party to be activists and nothing else. They don't want the party to have any ministers in big portfolios at all because then they're bound by cabinet rules. So it's very possible the Greens wouldn't want to form a full coalition government (something they've never done) even if they were in a position to do so, over a cooperation agreement with confidence and supply. Plenty of members would be happy for the party to sit in opposition.

Seriously? Why the gently caress am I voting for these morons then.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's pretty funny. the loser wing loves the greens' handwringing consensus-based internal politics, but then expects their elected mps to get massive legislative wins without making any compromises.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I would settle for legislative wins that are actually wins instead of crap like the ZCA.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Xik posted:

Seriously? Why the gently caress am I voting for these morons then.

They've consistently got the best policy platform, some really competent and capable MPs all the way down to like #15 on the list*, and they're a very safe bet to get seats in parliament. That's about as good as it gets under MMP.

*may revise this depending on how the list ranking turns out, but there are some great new faces in there this time

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bike tory posted:

They've consistently got the best policy platform, some really competent and capable MPs all the way down to like #15 on the list*, and they're a very safe bet to get seats in parliament. That's about as good as it gets under MMP.

*may revise this depending on how the list ranking turns out, but there are some great new faces in there this time

Yeah but if they actively choose to have no power that's.... a little nuts. When you say there are some who choose this, is this a rogue few or a significant portion?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't think there are many/any that would walk away from a deal if it meant that National/ACT would be able to form a govt, but yeah certainly a big faction would prefer to take the cross benches and give confidence and supply to a minority Labour government over taking seats in cabinet.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

I don't think there are many/any that would walk away from a deal if it meant that National/ACT would be able to form a govt, but yeah certainly a big faction would prefer to take the cross benches and give confidence and supply to a minority Labour government over taking seats in cabinet.

I really think you are overstating the size of that faction given the poo poo they have swallowed this term in exchange for literally nothing.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Anecdotally it has been exacerbated by current situation with Shaw as a minister left the Greens have been the face of some bad policy. As I understand it the issues that they agreed to cooperate on climate change, the environment and poverty. Which encompasses the major issues that matter to their base.

As others have said, a chunk of voters want big changes now, something the Greens were never capable of achieving. Historically international variants of MMP have shown a loss for small parties in similar situations.

There are also a number of single issue voters who are focused on climate issues and feel the Greens failed because they focus on social issues. In 2020 National floated the idea of having an MP break off and start a blue green party, I expect something like this by 2029.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i've rly got no patience with people who have a deep political involvement in trying to get mps elected but zero understanding about how government works...

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Slavvy posted:

Ok but let's for arguments sake that happens, how can they compel labour to do anything? What are they going to do, break the coalition and disband the government?

I mean if you form a coalition to get stuff you want and Labour don't deliver then you just don't vote for stuff Labour wants. Labour know full well that having fights inside your org gently caress up your ability to get anything done - they're pretty strongly incentivised to deliver in that setup.

Given how covid ate the entire narrative framing last election, it was pretty clear that it was going to be a poo poo term for sitting on the crossbenches since there wasn't going to be much space for pushing Labour around from outside, so I'm pretty happy with the decision last time. Definitely a lot of appetite for pushing harder with the deals this time around and Labour have to be expecting it with their deliberate swing to the centre.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Finally bit the bullet and became a member of the green party. No idea what really to expect but what's the worse that could happen? The real possibility of act being in government is what really pushed me over the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

Finally bit the bullet and became a member of the green party. No idea what really to expect but what's the worse that could happen? The real possibility of act being in government is what really pushed me over the edge.

Expect emails. How involved you get is entirely up to you, how much impact depends on your location, skills and effort. Donations help, practically one useful thing is to get unengaged friends to actually vote. But mostly you will get emails.