Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Taitale posted:

I really think you are overstating the size of that faction given the poo poo they have swallowed this term in exchange for literally nothing.

The deal they got this term is pretty much exactly what the faction I'm talking about wants. A couple of decent portfolios but otherwise the ability to criticise the government.

Current situation is a great example of this deal working for the greens. If Shaw was in cabinet he'd have been outvoted and these climate policies would've been axed anyway, but then he'd have had to come out and try to sell it as a good thing to the media and the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they'd have way more influence in cabinet

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Content to Hover posted:

Expect emails. How involved you get is entirely up to you, how much impact depends on your location, skills and effort. Donations help, practically one useful thing is to get unengaged friends to actually vote. But mostly you will get emails.

Reslly appreciate the reply! I know my contributions are going to be miniscule in the grand scheme of things even if it just ends up with me helping out with door knocking and leaflet dropping.

All my friends that are politically engaged are going to vote greens or top (lol). I'm in the Dunedin electorate and there seems to be a nice little momentum building at the moment already.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

they'd have way more influence in cabinet

Generally agree and ahead of the last election when my branch was discussing what our priorities were in potential coalition talks I pushed to prioritise roles in cabinet. No one really expected Labour to get a majority on their own, but they did so I actually think the deal they got this time (with no leverage!) was pretty good and preferable to having like a single seat in cabinet.

Confusedslight posted:

I'm in the Dunedin electorate and there seems to be a nice little momentum building at the moment already.

Get involved in Francisco's campaign, he's a gc and will have good people helping. Door knocking is a fun and effective way to contribute!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I still don't quite understand why labour gave greens anything at all when they didn't need them.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
How does a party measure the effectiveness of their door knocking campaigns?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

klen dool posted:

I still don't quite understand why labour gave greens anything at all when they didn't need them.

Banking future goodwill, basically. You don't throw your allies out when you don't need them or they'll throw you out when you do.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I see our communication guide has been sent to the press.
Things TP doesn't have:
Unified payroll system
Unified admin
Unified management
A plan for any of the above

Things TP does have:
A 28 page document saying we can't call it TP

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

Recognising competence mostly, they were both really complex roles that Labour didn't have the bandwidth for but supported and can take credit for now. In the case of James as climate minister it adds a buffer between them and some of the more tricky changes too. Ultimately they were pretty heavily ring-fenced roles, so there was almost no downside for Labour.

James Shaw is also one of like, maybe four people in the country who understands the ETS well enough to write legislation like the ZCA.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
A less friendly way of looking at it is: because smaller parties tend to suffer in the next election after going in coalition with a bigger party. Labour may have hugged the Greens, with the intention of trying to smother them out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That would imply politicians thinking several years ahead which is pretty improbable imo

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Also, Jacinda was just a nice lady who wanted everyone to get along.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I voted for act like 20ish years ago because I thought it would make a girl like me more

remember that every time you think about the youth voting

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i have a coworker who is in his thirties and votes for national because his parents told him to when he got the vote.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

echinopsis posted:

I voted for act like 20ish years ago because I thought it would make a girl like me more

remember that every time you think about the youth voting

I voted for Greens for the exact same reason

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Did it work for either of you?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

echinopsis posted:

I misread this as

"my brain" posted:

I voted for act like 20ish years ago because I thought it would make a girl, like me, more

and I was like "more what? What did it make a girl like you more of?" and it was a very confusing time

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

bike tory posted:

Did it work for either of you?

I'm still here, aren't I

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'd be interested to see data about how many people vote the same way as their parents across various age groups. I voted Labour like my parents in my first election, not because they said "you should vote Labour", but because they'd brought me up with certain values which I still have. If my parents had brought me up with more right-wing values I'd almost certainly have voted National at least at first. It's nice to tell myself that my life experiences and cultural changes since then would have guided me left as I'd matured and started thinking for myself more but I don't know that for sure. If anything I drifted towards the economic centre for a bit in my early 30s (still never voted right of Labour for social reasons) before doubling back down onto the left and voting Green for the last few and the forseeable future.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 15, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pretty sure I've never voted the same as my folks, I think they did a better job exposing me to good people than they became themselves in retirement.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the first time my wife voted she did act + greens

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

redleader posted:

the first time my wife voted she did act + greens

Everyone makes mistakes in their youth I guess

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
by the way lol @ stuart nash

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Feels like just losing one portfolio but otherwise keeping your job is a slap on the wrist for what effectively sounds like corruption.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

my parents raised me so obv their judgment is suspect in general, so never voted Nats

I voted for list candidate Bike Tory in my first election

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Nash insisting on making being homeless functionally illegal with his pet anti freedom camping legislation, in spite of mbie civil servants repeatedly telling him "this is a really bad idea" seems somewhat worse than this imo

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

One of my little brothers voted ACT - basically angry at how government incompetence was loving with him at the time.

I pointed out that he was living in the Hawkes Bay, "She'll be ri- aw faaack noooo" was the unofficial provincial motto. I'unno if I managed to convince him that it was an isolated incident, though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can confirm I have been on one of the party lists sent out to every voter.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I once voted for NZ first :cry: to give myself credit winston did get in and gently caress things up for national somewhat

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Frankly, MMP is great and every vote not for the two primary parties is a good vote. Yes, even that weirdo extremist group that eats puppies. When Labour got a majority party I was happy that my 'anybody but National' agenda was being pandered to, but worried about the long-term effects of absolutely anyone getting a majority; two-party systems are bad and we don't want to mimic them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good thing the media doesn't create that perception at all, that would be bad

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Wish somebody would introduce stv for electorate votes

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

bobbilljim posted:

I once voted for NZ first :cry: to give myself credit winston did get in and gently caress things up for national somewhat

What have you done??

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
https://www.psa.org.nz/our-voice/wake-up-mr-brown-your-libraries-need-paid-librarians-psa/

Apparently Brown wants to have Auckland libraries staffed by volunteers.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
He is trying to avoid raising rates with over 1.7 billion in incoming costs. Cutting social services such as libraries and the arts for a total of 23 million is the obvious solution. There is no way messing up libraries which are primarily used by old people who vote in local elections could possibly backfire.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
loving over libraries is unforgivable if you ask me. i mean he already sucked but yeah

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Content to Hover posted:

He is trying to avoid raising rates with over 1.7 billion in incoming costs. Cutting social services such as libraries and the arts for a total of 23 million is the obvious solution. There is no way messing up libraries which are primarily used by old people who vote in local elections could possibly backfire.

I'm starting to hate the man on a personal level

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
He's speed running to becoming the most hated mayor in the country. Got to keep those golf courses though!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Needs to say the n-word to keep pace though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As bad as nbombs are, I'd argue completely gutting the public service of an entire city is worse