Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/511160/kaipara-mayor-s-mum-with-broken-hip-waits-2-point-5-hours-for-ambulance
Waiting two hours for an ambulance seems pretty bad, I'll just Google who the mayor is surely he's in favour of more funding for it...

Mayors don't decide the funding for health services as far as I'm aware, I'm not sure why you'd shoot yourself in the foot by being against it when its not really your main corner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

quote:

Act Party leader David Seymour came a cropper on his electric bike in Auckland's Parnell on Sunday, and says he got a lot of help from passersby - but one onlooker was not quite so supportive.
Seymour was cycling on Parnell Rd after leaving the Holy Trinity Cathedral’s Commonwealth service in the early evening.

“I just didn’t see a car. It wasn’t their fault, they had right of way. So I slammed on the brakes and realised I was going to cartwheel over, but I also realised I was still going to hit the car so I slammed on the brakes harder and over I went.”

Seymour says he did not hit the car, and the people in it stopped and came back to check on him. “They were mortified, but it wasn’t their fault.”

He was unhurt other than the shock and a sore wrist that he hoped would heal quickly. A number of people turned up to check on him, bringing out water and offering him a ride home.

However, there was one negative reaction to his plight.

“While I’m sitting on the traffic island in a state of shock, some guy comes over and starts filming me. I thought ‘that’s a bit weird’ and then he says ‘you know what, sometimes you get exactly what you deserve”.

“In a [British] accent, he said ‘look what you’re doing to Māori, you’re just a trust fund baby who’s out of touch with reality.”

“I thought ‘I am Māori, and I don’t have a trust fund’.”

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
This motherfuckers whakapapa is his great-great-great-grandmother from waimate north and he grew up in Northland and barely went to a marae. He may have Maori ancestory but he's not loving Māori.

He's no more Māori than I am an Orkney Islander.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

klen dool posted:

This motherfuckers whakapapa is his great-great-great-grandmother from waimate north and he grew up in Northland and barely went to a marae. He may have Maori ancestory but he's not loving Māori.

:stare:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

he's a politician so it's public record that he has trust funds but mentioning that would require a journalist to not simply serve as the megaphone for a crapitalist

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just liked the idea of Seymour going over the bars on an e-bike like the lazy unskilled piece of poo poo he is

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
I'm not going to wish the man actual harm, but I'm not going to pretend a blooper real of David Seymour repeatedly getting hit by a car and looking directly at the camera like there's got to be a better way wouldn't be funny.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

klen dool posted:

Seriously? For all his talk about being Māori I assumed a parent or at least a grandparent.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Well now you know that it's impossible for him to do anything bad to Māori. If the US had this rule like it would also be impossible for like 60% of white americans to do anything bad to Black people. Handy!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
bad takes

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm pretty sure the one-drop rule was imported directly from the us

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Robo Captain posted:

Seriously? For all his talk about being Māori I assumed a parent or at least a grandparent.

That's the great thing about claimed ancestry; it propagates fully forward. One parent of his was Maori, so he's Maori (blue eyes and all!), as will be any of his children.

If someone wants to gatekeep that it's sure as gently caress not gonna be me and my white rear end.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spyderizer posted:

I'm not going to wish the man actual harm, but I'm not going to pretend a blooper real of David Seymour repeatedly getting hit by a car and looking directly at the camera like there's got to be a better way wouldn't be funny.

He didn't even get hit by the car, he flipped himself over the bars trying to avoid the car. Which indicates he could've easily stopped in time but that would involve not being a useless oval office

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Also I do not believe for a second that he had a crash, then a British guy said he was being mean to Maori and he thought to himself "but I am Maori how could I be mean to Maori" that's way too convenient a story

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Ghostlight posted:

i'm pretty sure the one-drop rule was imported directly from the us

the one-drop rule in the US doesn't have a corollary that lets right wingers claim one drop ancestry as an excuse for backing racist policies. they're way more likely to just hide it

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

He didn't even get hit by the car, he flipped himself over the bars trying to avoid the car. Which indicates he could've easily stopped in time but that would involve not being a useless oval office

I wonder how far you need to be going to flip over the handlebars.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Lobsterpillar posted:

I wonder how far you need to be going to flip over the handlebars.

I know this: slower than you'd think

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The slower you go the easier it is, especially with hydraulic brakes which he undoubtedly would've had. Just a perfect example of unearned power on an levels

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
As he no doubt has no skill in riding a bike, he most likely grabbed a whole handful of front brake and stacked it.

Easy enough to do if you don't have any skills, but also easy enough to avoid by doing the bare minimum of learning/training.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

probably full suspension too, making it even easier

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Stop trying to prove that Seymour isn't Māori. It's gross and pointless and immaterial to whether or not he loving sucks or whether or not the policy he's ramming through on his 8%-of-the-vote rear end "mandate" is going to directly cause death and misery for Māori.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Stop trying to prove that Seymour isn't Māori. It's gross and pointless and immaterial to whether or not he loving sucks or whether or not the policy he's ramming through on his 8%-of-the-vote rear end "mandate" is going to directly cause death and misery for Māori.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

fart tory is correct.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i am nodding firmly at nationals $3 billion dollar handout to landlords, they've been doing it hard and this will tip the balance into make new zealand a country we can all be proud of

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

As a country we have gotten mighty slack at doffing our hats to our betters, this will help change that and return suffering landlords their dignity.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I'm not trying to say seymour isn't maori, I'm saying he is as maori as I am an orkney islander - and no one should listen to me when I try and direct orkney island affairs

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

And that man's name was
Albert Einstein

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

* Arapata Einstein

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Spyderizer posted:

I'm not going to wish the man actual harm

I am

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

voiceless anal fricative posted:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Spyderizer posted:

I'm not going to wish the man actual harm

ban this sick filth

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

NZ research in a nutshell https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/511648/callaghan-innovation-wants-to-cut-staff-focus-on-money-making-projects

It's simple... just predict what will make money and only do that

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Progressive JPEG posted:

NZ research in a nutshell https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/511648/callaghan-innovation-wants-to-cut-staff-focus-on-money-making-projects

It's simple... just predict what will make money and only do that

the last time a western government gave a poo poo about funding research was 1945

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

Hey, long time no login over here.

Just checking in from abroad, in the USA its pretty nuts right now. Looks pretty poo poo in NZ too rn but still several octaves different level of difficulty

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Don't worry we are still 5 years behind UK politics which is like 5 behind the USA. The gap is closing though we have all the same right wing think-tank trash people starting to poo poo up the political process in a big way.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

redleader posted:

the last time a western government gave a poo poo about funding research was 1945

ehh i suspect this particular myopia is distinctly kiwi

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

This should not be surprising to anyone.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Most surprising thing is that it took this long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
I was more surprised that it was only one student.