Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Really reminiscent of the canyoning disaster back in 2008 where like 8 kids died after the Outdoor Pursuits Center ignored a weather warning. I remember that one really well because I'd done the same activity just a week before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Problem: takes too long to drive to work.
Solution: one-child policy.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

I never go to dairies either. Possibly influenced by my closest supermarket being directly across the road from my closest dairy though. Bakeries on the other hand...

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

exmarx posted:

extremely sinister vibe on this blackrock announcement lmao

Every time I hear Blackrock I think they're talking about the American mercenary group that used to be called Blackwater.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Who's paying for feijoas? They turn up en masse in the work break room and you just help yourself?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

My Mum is making an effort this year to be an informed voter (possibly the first time ever). Are any of those websites still around that can help you compare party policies, or do a quiz and see how your own value line up? I had a quick look but the ones I saw on Google appear to be overseas based. Are the local ones not spun up yet?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

I find it kind of funny how both very right wing and very left wing people are convinced the other side owns the media.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Not you though, you're an enlightened centrist

Lol I knew someone would say this.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

I vote whatever bird doesn't poo poo all over my windows and car just after I wash them.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

All the birds team up to poo poo on your car sorry.

Currently they've handed the job over to the spiders to spin cobwebs everywhere instead.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Oh does Bird of the Century use Single Transferable Vote? Very progressive.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

A 'reset' being full restoration of all Maori land, right? They can give pakeha back their muskets and blankets.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

klen dool posted:

What makes the road user charges "electronic"?

Maybe some kind of connected e-road thing? Where your vehicle tracks mileage via a GPS module and reports it to a central location?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Slavvy posted:

They already do this for commercial trucks, it's a seperate digital odometer that sits under the windscreen

Yeah that's why I suggested it, the technology already exists.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Imo a toll style system would be better, as in you pay depending on the roads you use not necessarily the mileage you cover

They technically should be able to incorporate road tolling into the same system as they could geo-fence certain areas for extra tolling. Although there'll no doubt be workarounds for it in similar ways to how people disconnect their odometers to dodge paying RUCs now.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It's pretty much impossible to do this anymore unless you have a really old car, the odo/speed comes from an aggregate of the ABS wheel speed sensors nowadays, you'd have to disconnect your entire instrument cluster and that would cause a host of other issues

Oh yeah you're probably right. I just remember working with guys who did this back in the day. One of them had a toggle switch he could flick on and off because disconnecting the odo also stopped his speedo working. The other installed a HUD speedo in parallel so it didn't matter that his original one didn't work anymore.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

sebmojo posted:

i love the nz first requirement that legislation be introduced to stop COWARD PUNCHES it's like going to the forums to demand a rogue nerf

They should make breaking the law illegal while they're at it.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

The RBNZ has always had the mandate to keep inflation low and stable (between 1 and 3%, it's currently 5.6%). Since 2018 they have also had a mandate to support 'maximum sustainable employment'. National say the employment mandate distracted the bank from managing inflation. The bank say it didn't make a difference.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

You're telling me. Capped off the year by coming home to find we've been burgled. :toot:

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Simeon Brown posted:

"After six years and over $228 million spent on the project, not a single metre of track has been delivered and congestion has only worsened in the city."

I can't believe how much these projects cost either, but I can't help but think actually completing them might be key to reducing congestion?? (Auckland Light Rail officially canned)

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Trompe le Monde posted:

The tunneled light rail option that Labour was pushing was so poorly suited that I cannot help but think it was done to sink light rail completely and on purpose. If they'd just gone with what every other city (including auckland in the early 20th century) had we'd probably have enough light rail by now that national would have no chance of canning it. loving wasted money and now no chance of anything this decade.

You're totally right, I think I remember some article on Greater Auckland about how/why they ended up with the absolute most expensive option. Ffs just put a tramline down Dominion Rd and along the motorway, how hard can it be? Absolutely no forward thinking in this country.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

People with non plug-in petrol/electric hybrids will be feeling very smug. Best of both worlds! Minimal petrol taxes and zero RUCs.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

Just like when Labour got in last time and found the books were waaaay worse than National said they were.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

redleader posted:

i would also like a pony

In this economy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

"There’s really not much more to ask you, is there? I mean, you just don’t know your subject."

"Well, that’s right. "

Amazing.