Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CODChimera posted:

we're gonna need a better navy

I cannot quote this hard enough

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

At least Luxon doesn't go by Topher, I guess

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

Man I generally appreciate Bernard Hickey's take on things but his constant "a vote for the Greens is wasted as long as the Greens will never credibly side with National, because even if Labour needs them for a coalition they have nothing to bargain with if they wouldn't side with National" thing is utterly braindead.

It makes sense if you view all relationships as transactional I guess

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

But believe it or not the Greens aren't the only party in Parliament who don't want a National government and are willing to work with others to prevent it.

neva 4get winnie going labour purely to spite the nats

which time?

all of them

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bike tory posted:

They've consistently got the best policy platform, some really competent and capable MPs all the way down to like #15 on the list*, and they're a very safe bet to get seats in parliament. That's about as good as it gets under MMP.

*may revise this depending on how the list ranking turns out, but there are some great new faces in there this time

Yeah but if they actively choose to have no power that's.... a little nuts. When you say there are some who choose this, is this a rogue few or a significant portion?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

klen dool posted:

I still don't quite understand why labour gave greens anything at all when they didn't need them.

Banking future goodwill, basically. You don't throw your allies out when you don't need them or they'll throw you out when you do.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Content to Hover posted:

He is trying to avoid raising rates with over 1.7 billion in incoming costs. Cutting social services such as libraries and the arts for a total of 23 million is the obvious solution. There is no way messing up libraries which are primarily used by old people who vote in local elections could possibly backfire.

I'm starting to hate the man on a personal level

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As bad as nbombs are, I'd argue completely gutting the public service of an entire city is worse

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Content to Hover posted:

Fair enough, I didn't intend it to be accusatory and was probably overreacting.

No no no you double down and post through it, have you learnt nothing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder what the perfect level of taxation is

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No I mean you only hear lower taxes lower taxes lower taxes you never hear what the actual correct amount is

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Spyderizer posted:

That's a good question.

One of the things I like about the Living Wage concept is that it's an actual measure of what it would cost for someone to work a standard full time job and not have to have a lovely life as a result.

There's probably a few similar calculations you could make for tax rates, although it would be significantly more complicated. You'd look at what acceptable targets were across all services, transport, health etc and look at the funding that would be required to meet those targets.

That would get difficult in getting agreement on what targets should be, and costing the solutions would probably involve spending money on designs that will never be implemented with the goal of working out what a theoretical tax rate should be.

That would actually be an incredibly valuable piece of information that could influence future policy decisions, but...
"lol, Labour's consultants and working groups, just bring back 3 strikes. I am very smart."

Its almost like they've never actually thought about it :shh:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Slavvy posted:

That's because you've been taught wrong about what left and right actually mean, on purpose

What do they mean

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Herald.... good?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thanks Wayne

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I thought they were looking at denying her entry to the country anyway? And since she effectively threatened the PM I can't think they'd look too favorably on her...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The article says "by the end of the week at the very latest", which if it's this Saturday is a little close but

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Luxon said outright he'd let her in, so you don't even need to wonder!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Is there any reason to think they would delay any announcement/action until the last minute deliberately? Give them less time to organise any sort of response? I realise this is giving way too much benefit of the doubt...

nah, that's the powerstation's trick

which admittedly was a+

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I don't really think the media is doing anyone any favors by giving her a ton of exposure either

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

wayne wanted it so you can reasonably infer it'll be bad for everyone that isn't him

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

He doesn't seem a very happy person

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Loooooooooooool

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Rip nash

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

klen dool posted:

You should be able to trust that when your boss says "in it for the long term" he is also not saying to the board of directors "weIl think if X doesn't happen in 5 months we'll pull the plug" or whatever

that's...... hopelessly naive

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

How did they allow some of their hardest working and high profile assets to be treated like arch rivals, or even criminals?

Guess who and what

Duncan garner on losing his job

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

When u so upset by bad press you stop selling the press

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A lot, and I don't think they charge but it barely worked anyway

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nightcaps

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's Tuarangi Road you clowns

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What happened to Pansy Wong?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Tradies make an enragingly large amount of money and their jobs are easy as gently caress

Lmao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Now I'm wondering which trade you picked. You say spanners but not plumbing. Maybe automotive? Possibly refrigeration?

Edit: wait, what?

Slavvy posted:

Do you think they get paid badly or do you think plumbing and house building are mentally intensive?
Are you SERIOUSLY implying that jobs that aren't mentally intensive aren't hard work???

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 18, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bike tory posted:

Aren't plumbers uniquely well paid among tradies because they're one of the few that is unionised?

From memory their pay is on par with sparkies, but a lot of plumbers are sole traders so they pocket a big chunk of change

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Boot luxon at the 11th hour and put her in charge

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You suck :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

talofa