Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

And in exchange for this they get jack poo poo and get to look useless

The fact that this is literally the best case scenario is dismal and depressing

Negotiation with Te Pāti Māori and the Greens would look a lot different from 2017 where Winston had all the power. New Zealand politics is dismal and depressing, looking for the least worst option is as close to hope as it gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Anecdotally it has been exacerbated by current situation with Shaw as a minister left the Greens have been the face of some bad policy. As I understand it the issues that they agreed to cooperate on climate change, the environment and poverty. Which encompasses the major issues that matter to their base.

As others have said, a chunk of voters want big changes now, something the Greens were never capable of achieving. Historically international variants of MMP have shown a loss for small parties in similar situations.

There are also a number of single issue voters who are focused on climate issues and feel the Greens failed because they focus on social issues. In 2020 National floated the idea of having an MP break off and start a blue green party, I expect something like this by 2029.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

Finally bit the bullet and became a member of the green party. No idea what really to expect but what's the worse that could happen? The real possibility of act being in government is what really pushed me over the edge.

Expect emails. How involved you get is entirely up to you, how much impact depends on your location, skills and effort. Donations help, practically one useful thing is to get unengaged friends to actually vote. But mostly you will get emails.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
He is trying to avoid raising rates with over 1.7 billion in incoming costs. Cutting social services such as libraries and the arts for a total of 23 million is the obvious solution. There is no way messing up libraries which are primarily used by old people who vote in local elections could possibly backfire.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Generally conditions for sex workers are overlooked and few if any complaints make it to court, even then the bias makes it near impossible to get a successful prosecution. Hopefully the absolute hatred for Ross on the right will set a precedent.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
I know it sounds funny, but if you read the article it mentions exploitation, physical and sexual assault. I'd rather our title did not make light of any of that.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Did nobody play Star Control 2.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

I wasn't suggesting it purely for humour value. More of a laugh so you don't cry/look how awful (some of) our politicians are sort of thing. Like joking about Trump's "grab em by the pussy" thing. Joking about how awful it is is not the same thing as "making light" of sexual assault.

Fair enough, I didn't intend it to be accusatory and was probably overreacting.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

exmachina posted:

Yes, but if it isn't Brave Captain Fwiffo I don't wanna hear about it

Anticheese posted:

Hold! What you are posting is wrong! Why do you post this thing?

Your presence here fills us with excitement!

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

exmachina posted:

Juffo-Wup fills in my fibers and I grow turgid. Violent action ensues.

Jumping *peppers*!! This is *smiley* time!

You are *campers* after all!!

We will start alliance *parties* for better enjoyment!

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Labour is only nominally on the left as National is on the right. Both parties primary goal is to get elected, if three strikes assured a win Labour would rebrand and justify it, as National would for three waters. Not to say that individuals within these parties hold nothing sacred.

The vast majority of New Zealanders vote for one of these two parties not just for promised benefits, but for the guarantee that they will largely maintain the status quo. Rapid change is scary and suggests that prior behaviour was wrong, thus the voter was wrong. Telling people that they are wrong is seldom productive.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Greens are implying that they will support whomever has the stronger policy on climate change. Looking forward to Luxon's statement followed by a retraction in the next day or so.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

James Shaw posted:

"To any political party that wants the Green Party's support to form a government after the election, let us put it as simply as we can: The Green Party will not accept anything less than the strongest possible climate action. The stakes are too high, the consequences of failure too great."

You are right that this is addressed to Labour given they just broke their cooperation deal. Luxon will still likely get asked if a coalition with the Greens is potentially viable due to the wording. He has terrible political instincts and has repeatedly needed to walk back statements to the media.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
It's Labour, they struggle with doing anything if right wing pundits might criticise them. Literal nazis on camera in Australia were required to even consider polling revoking her visa.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

Immigration NZ basically shut down when covid started, even for services for people that were already here. Meanwhile they still haven't really come back.

For example upgrading to a permanent resident visa was previously a quick approval, since the main qualification is just whether you've been on a resident status visa for long enough. Think it was previously 3-5 days territory? But even now the median processing time just for that is 52 days - or 5 months for 90th percentile lol

This is probably an area where things would get better under a national government since they like immigrants

It's being pushed for at a level above that though. If the Minister says a hatemongering transphobe who is associated with an organisation we list as terrorists has her visa revoked then it is gone.

Labour are trying to decide if giving National and ACT a talking point about free speech in an election year is worth as much as the safety of a marginalized community. This is an issue that I am pretty sure we can all agree would not get better under a National government.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

mweb posted:

approximately 3-4 months ago I bet $10 , two separate private bets of $5, that Nats would roll Luxon before the election

feeling good about my odds lately but maybe its just a dip

Missing iPredict rn

Rolling Luxon would guarantee a loss. Maybe that :10bux: is like a lotto ticket, you lose the money but get to dream happy thoughts until the election.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Coming as absolutely no surprise, Labour's celebration of the life of the first transgender mayor and MP is truly on brand.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Bit harsh on Brit, she won't shut up about how great Six60 are but she's not THAT bad.

Smart, most of the protest signs I've had were single use.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Booty Pageant posted:

i didn't think it was possible but wow good job auckland

Didn't even get to speak, I hope Wellington can match up. Do they still have the Carmen Rupe pedestrian crossing lights on Cuba street?

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Marama Davidson was hit by a motorcyclist after the protest. Apparently a number were in the area to support Brian Tamaki. In the unlikely event there is a link with the protest I hope they find out and cancel the Wellington event.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Zero political instincts, he could have gotten all the benefits by letting Seymour attack. Admittedly the majority of his base don't see any problem with asking a Maori woman to apologise to white men.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

RNZ posted:

Nash sent an email to senior business figures in 2020, which contained Cabinet discussions related to a commercial relief package being negotiated at the time.

Nash getting kicked from cabinet for an email from 2020 is one way to change the political narrative. I'm surprised that now is the time that they chose to leak it. Wouldn't it do more damage three months out from the election?

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
This is obviously in no way the free market showing us that people don't want to listen to Duncan Garner and Tova O'Brien.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Lobsterpillar posted:

Apparently the National parties new renewable energy policy is "continue doing more or less what's already in the works".
I guess it's nice to see a policy announcement that is essentially announcing support for the current government, not a reactionary "we won't do this thing", but it's still pretty thin...

Ahh the old seem reasonable before the election then cut all funding and blame Labour.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

bike tory posted:

PSA in case anyone missed it: everyone over 30 can get a bivalent covid booster as of yesterday. You just can't haven't had a booster or covid in the last 6 months.

Thank you.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

echinopsis posted:

just dont get poor

WarpedNaba posted:

Or be alone.

Are you suggesting those are optional, because I may need to rethink some of my life choices.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When u so upset by bad press you stop selling the press

How many people were paying $3 for a paper and can they charge you for WiFi on the ferry?

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Bunnies don't have a cloaca!

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

There has to be some way of running things where the worst, dumbest possible people aren't in charge of everything. Surely?

It's representative democracy, you've fallen into the trap of assuming the voters aren't also idiots or at best incapable of critical thinking.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
It's ego and the sense of control. A lifetime ago I did retail and our "lunch rush" started at 10 and finished at 3. If anyone took a break during this time it made life notably more difficult for the other staff, yet management regularly used it as a metric of poor time management skills.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Spiteski posted:

Man I wish housing was attainable.
We've got like 150k deposit, but houses in our area or within "can reasonably get to work in 1h.30 commute" would put our fortnightly repayments at close on 3 grand.

Not really sure what we're going to do long term. It's only a matter of time until rent catches up and we're just as hosed. Australia maybe?

Stolen from the Auspol thread but house prices in Sydney are also ridiculous. Also I heard a rumour that the country is full of filthy Aussies, so while you might have a house you would get cooties.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Of the two of my mates that moved to Brisbane, both of them bought houses. And get laid on the regular.

I should've left the country in 2008, gently caress me.

Cooties

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

Makes you wonder why pay is comparatively so low here for a lot of jobs. Sure some countries have far worse environmental protections and job safety laws and so on but there's plenty of money in NZ business. Are we all just too weak to negotiate better pay? I mean I know I am

I would posit that rather than being "weak" we as a country have been very efficiently conditioned towards bad fiscal policy over the last forty or so years. Probably enhanced by our ideology moving more into sync with the US. Thatcher, Reagan and our very own Roger Douglas are the easiest to point fingers at.

RNZ had an article on Strikes, protests and collective action recently. One point was that around 17% are unionised today, compared to 57.5% in 1979. Unions also used to heavily influence the Labour party as a result.

Stats NZ has figures on household assets, the top twenty percent account for 62 percent, conversely the bottom 20% account for 1%. Inequality seems to be growing over time too.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I keep being ok and then suddenly I get mad or upset that Labour didn't do anything their whole term because people said or might say mean things about them.

Labour being better than the alternative in no way implies they are a desirable option. On the other hand, sexism and the National candidate selection policy may give them a chance to let you down for another term.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

ledge posted:

I've never met and do not know anything about any of those women, but can guarantee that if I did I would viscerally hate every single one of them.

Just looking at that is making me angry.

It's like the goatse magic eye, just unfocus your eyes and all you will see is the gaping rear end in a top hat in the centre.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

klen dool posted:

The govts incompetence had nothing to do with the egg farming industry failing to transition away from cages. Why is it the govts responsibility to do that? I guess that's beside the point though - it's the banning of certain medicines that's the issue here

The word ban is a bit misleading, the bill would require medications to meet certain standards before it can be imported

quote:

in the case of a medicine, about its safety, quality, and efficacy
It even has an rule that would allow for limited exceptions

quote:

A person may be able to import, supply, or export a therapeutic product that does not have a market authorisation if they have a licence or permit, or a provision of subpart 3 of Part 3 allows them to do so.

The woman in the article is importing a generic version of a cancer drug that is in use in New Zealand. As a known drug, it likely meets the same standards and the expensive testing hasn't been done to show this. If it doesn't meet those standards then letting people take it is dangerous.

The potentially more complex issue that is raised in the articles is advertising. People with serious medical conditions are extremely vulnerable to potential "cures". Is a givealittle page advertising? on balance, probably not. I would be willing to bet that if a legislative exception was made for such sites that they quickly would become so.

It is worth keeping in mind that New Zealand and the US are the only two countries that allow pharmaceutical companies to advertise directly to consumers. We also suck at enforcing existing laws around health supplements using careful wording to claim medical value.

The bill is replacing one written in 1981 which is not fit for purpose. It may very well have issues that need to be fixed with amendments. Assuming that the people who benefit most from the current legislation are the less than 50 who are importing tagrix from Bangladesh is naive.

I totally agree about the egg industry. SAFE are constantly surprising me with how effective their mix of campaigning and activism has been.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

bike tory posted:

The government is terrified of them. They get monitored almost like a terrorist group lol

Understandable, one of the countries primary industries is the exploitation of animals. SAFE represent a far greater threat to capital than extremists with guns.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Saros posted:

The Therapeutic products bill is desperately needed to rein in the loving awful 'supplements' industry we have in NZ. That said banning buyers clubs such as the one in the article is very problematic because frankly Medsafe is poo poo, slow and incredibly expensive so getting registration for many generic drugs is simply not going to happen.

A layman's reading of the bill suggests that it leaves a path for such groups, though they would need to apply for a "provisional authorisation" if the medicine has not been registered yet. How slow that process would be is unknown, I imagine for Tagrix it could be quicker as we have Osimertinib available as Tagrisso already.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Saros posted:

Its $10,000 (low risk, not many medicines would be that people actually want) to $70,000 for provisional consent and can take 6-18 months.

Only the manufacturer is able to supply the required information (detailed GMP data) and none of them will pay the fee and put in the effort to compile a NZ specific dossier, its a huge problem already and just doesn't happen for a lot of medicines because the market size is so small.

I read it as leaving various options open if needed, there is a section on exemptions

The Bill (379) Exemptions posted:

The Regulator may exempt—
(a) a specific therapeutic product or other thing or a class of products or things from the application of any provision of this Act; or
(b) a class of persons from compliance with any provision of this Act.
And

The Bill (380) Compliance posted:

However, the Regulator need not comply with subsection (3) if satisfied on reasonable grounds that making the instrument without consultation is necessary because of a risk to any individual of death, serious injury, or serious illness.

This isn't to say that I think it would avoid bureaucracy in practice or have the funding or staffing to work, just that the bill as written allows for workarounds. Again, I am neither a medical or legal expert so my reading might very well be wrong.

The issue I see with this legislation is that unless it receives ongoing funding and adjustments as needed it will fail, which will be the justification for something worse. Which is exactly what I would expect given the current rhetoric from National.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Capital gains tax is back in the news, basically inland revenue research shows that the richest pay around half the effective tax in comparison to the average person due to capital gains.

The timing of the report is terrible, Labour will probably end up repeating their promise not to introduce new taxes and wealth inequality will continue to increase.