Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Bad country, bad politics, good coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

Brianna Kerridge says she and her husband will likely sell one of their four properties if Labour wins in October – but if National regains power, then they’re all set to buy a fifth.

Are you loving kidding me, are these parasites supposed to be sympathetic? Good, I hope they have to sell all their properties. I don't understand how people see national policy like the above quoted and go "oh yes these fuckin neolibs are on my side".

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

How does no cause evictions help anyone except landlords to kick people out and jack prices up. Can't wait for these assholes to be back in power, good poo poo.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Chris ruling out a cgt and wealth tax is no surprise, but I don't understand how they think it will attract voters from the right?

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Spend more on debt.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Beartaco posted:

The best stand up comedian in the country is without a doubt Guy Montgomery and if any of you fools still haven't seen his show on TV3 (which recently got picked up for a second season) I pity you.

e: He's also bringing his (award winning) set from this year back to the Q Theatre on the 25th of this month so I'd also implore you to see that if you missed it in May.

Nice try Guy

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

echinopsis posted:

i knew someone would say this lol

china has been “the factory of the world” for many decades now, directly benefiting from every capitalist nation spending dollars generated by capitalism.

they certainly didn’t generate all that wealth and value themselves out of thin air, it’s only because the entire rest of the western world has put trillions into their economy

ok whether or not I am describing the correct metric for the point I am trying to make, are you going to argue against it?

what would chinese people say about this? that rural farm life was better? that their lives are no better than they used to be? even china itself is proud of huge transformation that has happened

have things improved in china compared to a century ago? and whatever metric you want to say is better, it’s happened faster and on a larger scale than in any other nation ever

Can you clarify if you are claiming China is capitalist or that they used the wealth of capitalist nations to lift people out of poverty.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Have people got their voting papers or whatever they send? We never recieved anything and we definitely are enrolled at our current address.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

If a business' margins are so tight that one extra day of employee pay puts em under then they were gonna go out of business anyway

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

A lot of people seem to understand that climate change is a big problem that needs to be confronted, but they either fail to understand how big or fail to follow through to what that implies in terms of the need for a radical shift in transport policy (or policy in general) . Even then a lot of people people seem to think that just getting people into electric cars is job done.

Trompe le Monde fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 11, 2023

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

klen dool posted:

Although looking it up a ford ranger (diesel) has the same fuel efficiency as my mazda 6. I'm not sure how to compare diesel to petrol though. The petrol V6 ford ranger 14/10 litres per 100km for rown/open road compared to my Mazda 6 which is 7.5litres / 100km

Diesel is very efficient, the problem are the diesel engine particulate emissions which is where RUC comes in.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Slavvy posted:

The diesel's considerable advantage in economy and cost used to be offset by having to pay RUC, now the cost is similar but petrol will also have to pay RUC

Idk where I was going with that

Does anyone have the policy in hand, I don't really understand. How will this not just incentivise people to buy diesel engine vehicles

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

It's quite impressive the slide into American style politics has been so transparent with respect to legislative measures. All these stupid things being pushed through with urgency. The repealing of the Tax Principles Reporting Act seems particularly egregious, I genuinely don't understand how that can be sold as anything other than preventing transparency around tax burden.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Sorry we can't afford the tax cuts this year so it's just cutting spending and helping their mates out with stuff like interest deductability.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

hopefully this is a big nothingburger but if not all i can say is a big hearty lol

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

The tunneled light rail option that Labour was pushing was so poorly suited that I cannot help but think it was done to sink light rail completely and on purpose. If they'd just gone with what every other city (including auckland in the early 20th century) had we'd probably have enough light rail by now that national would have no chance of canning it. loving wasted money and now no chance of anything this decade.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

She'd be worse.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Don't read the comments. I guess that goes without saying with stuff.

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

they seem fine? people arguing on both sides, some I agree with some I don't...? maybe I didn't scroll down far enough to see the ones from the nazi lizard fascists, I just looked at the top few

Just a lot of frustrating comments about cycling, maybe I've just been overexposed to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Praying Seymour tries to ride a bike again for a photo op and is doored into the next life.