Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I see our communication guide has been sent to the press.
Things TP doesn't have:
Unified payroll system
Unified admin
Unified management
A plan for any of the above

Things TP does have:
A 28 page document saying we can't call it TP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Good to see the free speech decorum poisoning in full force.

No freedom was ever obtained without violence and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot or a saboteur.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

no its all me, personally

Violence Progressive JPEG is a statistical outlier and should have been disregarded.

It's funny to me how I responded to it, my first instinct as a white cis dude was to go "gently caress you too Marama!"
Then I thought about it for half a second more and you know, I can't find any fault in what she said. Systematic, institutional violence is kind of our thing. You get a few domestic, artisanal violence creators amongst other groups but if you want an entire systems of conflict and violent resolutions to disputes, we are literally your men.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Firstscion posted:

Hey we have 2 lakes in Levin as well and it doesn't smell most of the time.

Last time I was in Levin I was towing a trailer from chch to Napier. Stopped at the maccas amd the local lads were vaping, listening to crazy frog amd doing bike stunts in the carpark. 10/10 would visit again.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

klen dool posted:

Just reading that article, she seems like the real life version of the strawman lefty the right are always complaining about - every criticism is racismnwalking on eggshells hoping not to say the wrong thing.

But obviously that view is coming from her probably white colleagues, and no one escapes the bias.

Eh, being a self centered piece of poo poo crosses all cultural and racial barriers.
One of my old coworkers claimed we were racist for telling him if his students were going to be on campus for 9am he needed to be there to teach them. I poo poo you not, his reasoning was that strict schedules were an invention of white people and it was insensitive to expect him to conform against his culture. So these people do exist outside of right wing memes

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I didn't entirely disagree with him, but if 18 people are waiting on you for their education then you get the gently caress out of bed and do your job.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Varkk posted:

I have yet to meet a civilised tradie.

From my experience, to be a good tradie you need the sort of problem solving skills that would make you a lot of money in any other employment, but the kind of brain problems that mean you couldn't do that kind of work. So that fits

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

From memory their pay is on par with sparkies, but a lot of plumbers are sole traders so they pocket a big chunk of change

Ex sparkie here, traditionally plumbers and electricians have equal wages, but as you said more sole trader plumbers.
Fridgies with electrical training is where it's at right now though, massive labour shortage.

And lol at trades being easy work. You've got about 20 years to make your money and then get out before your body falls apart.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Automotive yeah

Anecdote: I once had a plumber landlord who was ten years older than me. He had two houses and was able to buy a $40000 classic car on a whim with cash (not literal cash you goons). He was unable to do arithmetic at a highschool level, I know this because his nurse girlfriend talked to me about the best way to tutor him through it and that is what she proceeded to do. The many tradies I've met lead me to believe this isn't particularly unusual.

Thing is, it used to be if you had any sort of learning disability, or were better with your hands than your brains you were told to gently caress off and join the other dumb fucks in manual work while the future of our great nation went to university.
So you end up with a lot of people like me, who are uneducated but not dumb in trades. I didn't learn to write until I was in my early teens, at which point the education system had well and truly written me off and i know a number of very capable builders who can't really read.

If there's one thing that really needs to be driven home after Brexit, covid and all that jazz it's that educated and clever are very different things.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
random question, is there any authority I can complain to about my neighbour's mosquito breeding program? He's got a bunch of old cars and containers full of water sitting all over his property. I don't give a poo poo about that, but the plague of little biting shits is getting out of hand. I've asked if I can come over and deal to them but the old boomer won't let me on his property and claims they're coming from ponds about 1km away. I'd sneak over and do it but he doesn't work, just sits inside.

They're the little stripey fucks that will happily bite through clothes and I hate them so much

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Lmao how is that real wtf

Sprinklers cost.
Cost make profit go down
Profit go down unacceptable.
Solution: no sprinklers.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Got to love democracy nz, one look at that name and you know exactly the type of cunts you're dealing with.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Throwing my hat into the "I'm probably racist" ring but the Te Pūkenga change proposal has come out in both English and Te Reo, which is great.

Except it's not bilingual, it's Te Reo and mixed, for example one section is called Kāhui Ako/ Delivery Ako. Which means I've had to explain to some staff, who don't have English as a first language, a whole bunch of words. Which is great when they're already stressed about their future.

It also reads like a weebs translation of an anime, with random words in Te Reo then the English in brackets afterwards.
Just loving commit, provide it bilingual. This mishmash is hard as hell to read. And it's not exactly light reading to start with.

I dunno, maybe I'm just pissed off in general and this is something I'm making too much of.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I think my mother in law has the only good landlord I've heard of.

Rent hasn't gone up in five years, and she hasn't heard from him in three years. Maybe he's died or something, who knows?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Double posting, but I was a landlord for a whole year once, it bloody sucked and it makes me even more suspicious of anyone who wants to do it for a living. Like, it felt like a personal failure on my part that the hot water cylinder broke and it took me a day to get a new one in so their kid had to have a shower at grandma's.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Oh, it was great. Originally I was going to run it via a rental agency, harcourts I think, because it was only for a year and I couldn't be assed to actually manage it myself.
The people in those agencies, now there's some loving psychopaths. The profiling that went on there would make a phrenologist proud, made my goddamn skin crawl

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
On the other hand, I'd love it if I could raid my kiwisaver to pay against my mortgage.

I took the money out when I bought but that was nearly 10 years ago now. My mortgage is going to be nearly 7% loving kiwisaver ain't making that much a year so using it to shorten my repayments and save on interest seems like a no brainer.
But apparently that's not preparing for my future so I'm poo poo out of luck.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
My hot take is that if your dog is off the leash in a public place that's not a dog park you should both be euthanized.
I have a scar on my hip from being bitten at the park as a kid, my parents have had lambs killed and the amount of fuckers that let their dog run up to my 9 month old makes my blood boil.

I also want to make it clear that I consider none of the above the dogs fault, it's all on their lovely owners. But finding a good dog owner is like finding a good landlord and remains mostly a theoretical possibility.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Oh boy, can't wait to see what sort of lone wolf, operating independently, while spouting right wing talking points and being active on neonazi forums this one turns out to be.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

sebmojo posted:

That's not really a nz thing, yet at least.

I mean, I saw it enough around the Christchurch fuckwit.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Caffeine makes me drowsy so I've never understood the joys of energy drinks.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
A land untouched by any human hands would be preferable.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Penny Simmons keeps banging the drum of reversing the Te Pukenga merger but good luck with that at this point.
Would be nice if she could keep the SIT zero fee structure in place though, I'm all for cheaper education.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
That's not even getting into the thought that if a business needs to sell an addictive, proven health disaster to survive..... do we care if it doesn't? Like I wouldn't shed a tear if an asbestos cladding company went broke either

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
It's really cool how many people I know are voting national, not because of any of their policies but because they're sick of labour doing absolutely nothing except shooting themselves in the foot at every opportunity.

These same people love the greens free dental idea but won't vote for them because "they're crazy hippies"

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Remember when labour pit in a fuel subsidy and it didn't immediately get eaten by the petrol companies?
Wait, poo poo.

Ok, how about rent subsidies that don't immediately cause landlords to raise rent by the same amount?
No?

Ok, we'll take gst of veggies. This time surely the capitalists won't take advantage of it to make more profit, improving nothing for everyday people.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Um, yes? Petrol dropped from like $3 to $2.30ish when the subsidy came in and went up again when it ended. Maybe the petroleum companies kept some of it too idk but I definitely saved an appreciable amount of money because of it

Huh, I could have sworn there was some controversy over the 25c coming in, followed by a 10c price rise the next day. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I for one would prefer we try and limit the interference in our affairs by the nation that threatens the sovereignty of its less powerful neighbors, relentlessly persecutes minorities in its borders and tries to use its wealth as a bludgeon while stripping other countries of their resources.

No I will not clarify which nation I'm talking about, take your pick.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I see the business egg is prepared to feed children so long as it provides value for money.

You'd think making a statement like that would give a moments pause.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

I have a similar thing where I'm a multi-generational kiwi with an iwi affiliation so I don't like to record myself as "New Zealand European" but I'm quite white and have no cultural Māori background so I prefer to identify as Pākehā rather than Māori and every time I get paperwork back it's been 'corrected' to NZ European.
Like, it really makes no difference practically but if you're asking me how I identify don't change my answer.

Are you me? I've got iwi connections through my dad's side, but culturally I'm not Maori. On the other hand I want no part of anything British or American so I normally just refer to myself as kiwi and it kind of annoys me that that's not an option. I'm sure as hell not European so why do I have to call myself that?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I once found my dad had made baked potatoes with mince inside, then made a mashed potato top for it.
He was also eating it with potato wedges.

Man loves him some potato, who am I to judge?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
So how does this whole Te paati Maori thing about no prison by 2040 work? Do they have an actual plan or is it just empty election time soundbites?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Wait, when the hell did TOP become vaguely left?was it always?

For some reason I had it in my head that it was Act light, but they seem to agree with a lot of Geen, TPM stuff.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I work in education for the most part and have an 11 month old. I'd just like the world to not get worse.

Even that seems a high bar to clear.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Getting well sick of this wind. Pinecones are blowing off the neighbour's trees across the road and landing over my fence which is pretty impressive to see.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I really would have thought that the minor parties would have had a bigger bump. How the hell have so many idiots decided that c-lux is the man with the answers?

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Least bad

Labour sucks, Seymour is weird, the greens are hippy kooks, so that leaves...

Leighton Baker obviously.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Clueless American here, on a scale of 1 to Trump 2.0 how bad is it?

If you're any two of:
White
Rich
Old

It's great. Anyone else isn't really a person anyway.

On a less hysterical level, the party of "we know poo poo sucks for you but we dont care" beat the party of "we know poo poo sucks for you but we won't do anything about it"

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
It sounds bad, but god I hope winnie gets in and gets up to his usual bullshit. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Lol, one of my coworkers said he would have voted for Leighton Baker but he is "too full of pride naming the party after himself"

So my old boss is now likely to be the minister for education, that's going to be interesting