Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I would settle for legislative wins that are actually wins instead of crap like the ZCA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

I don't think there are many/any that would walk away from a deal if it meant that National/ACT would be able to form a govt, but yeah certainly a big faction would prefer to take the cross benches and give confidence and supply to a minority Labour government over taking seats in cabinet.

I really think you are overstating the size of that faction given the poo poo they have swallowed this term in exchange for literally nothing.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
by the way lol @ stuart nash

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Auckland Council has okayed that TERF speaker's event this Saturday at Albert Park, so counter protest is on for any/all Auckland goons who can make it. 11am at the band rotunda.

Love having to spend part of my weekend defending my right to exist.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I thought they were looking at denying her entry to the country anyway? And since she effectively threatened the PM I can't think they'd look too favorably on her...

Rainbow Greens have been trying to get her nzeta revoked for two and a half weeks with literally nothing happening about it until this week after her event in Melbourne got outright nazis turning up. So if they are going to revoke it they are taking their sweet loving time with it.

Plus it sounds like even if she can't enter the country terfs and other alt right types plan on turning up anyway now.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Lobsterpillar posted:

Immigration NZ have announced that they were reviewing it, which is what prompted her to make white supremacist symbols and threaten chippy.

They announced that yesterday. Only after nazis turned up to support her in Melbourne. Which is exactly what I said.

Again, people have been trying to get Michael Wood to do something about this for 2.5+ weeks. So waiting until less than 5 days before she is meant to enter the country to even review it is very much taking their sweet loving time and they deserve criticism over it. And it's not like the nazi links are new and only started in Melbourne, they are well documented and were included in the open letter the Greens posted weeks ago. Said letter even notes she has ties to the proud boys, who are a designated terrorist org in NZ. Like what the gently caress are they waiting for here?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Hipkins has zero risk tolerance, so he's def not going to do anything that'll give Nat/ACT any ammo

While I mostly agree I think Stuart Nash still being in cabinet means there is a limit to that.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Not surprised in the slightest.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Pretty simple.

https://twitter.com/RichardHills_/status/1638723255187173377

Gotta cut every single cent possible! Nothing is worse than rates going up!!

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Good protest, if you're going to the Welly one tomorrow don't forget ear protection.

If it's anything like the auckland one you will need it. poo poo was loud.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Content to Hover posted:

Marama Davidson was hit by a motorcyclist after the protest. Apparently a number were in the area to support Brian Tamaki. In the unlikely event there is a link with the protest I hope they find out and cancel the Wellington event.

It was as the protest was forming. About 10:30am a group on motorbikes from Destiny led by Tamaki himself came up princes street, happened then.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300839253/green-party-coleader-marama-davidson-knocked-over-by-motorcyclist

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Labour continue to hit new lows https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/polit...HKF5M25YYHBY3M/

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I assume I'm missing something about why Efeso Collins is so high up.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

ACT has announced their policy platform for this election. Spoiler: it's Māori bashin' time

https://www.act.org.nz/press-releases/free-press-3-april-2023

Same as every election then.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Varkk posted:

Another argument for having a pool of unemployed people ready to work is that if a company wants to grow and increase production then they can take on new employees easily. If there were no unemployment then they would have to attract employees from another enterprise. This would decrease the productivity of that company. So the economy won’t grow under that scenario. So there is an argument in favour of having a pool of labour ready to deploy. How we as a society treat those people is left outside of this analysis.

This isn't accurate unless you think the output of a worker is fixed and is independent of working conditions etc at the companies.

Like if you have a business that makes widgets and an average worker there makes 100 a day and another business that makes widgets but because they have some automation or w/e the gently caress they make 500 a day instead then it would be an increase to have workers shift from A to B. Same logic across industries.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Man the greens really love stupid foot guns in election years huh https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/487463/green-mp-elizabeth-kerekere-calls-chloe-swarbrick-a-crybaby-in-group-chat

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

What has the boy mayor of Gore actually done/not done to lead to this? Because it kind of sounds like he's run head first into a council set to undermine him.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/489704/majority-of-gore-district-council-calls-on-mayor-ben-bell-to-resign

It certainly sounds like that is the case. Stuff like https://www.newsroom.co.nz/gore-allegations-pre-date-new-mayor doesn't exactly paint the CE and old Mayor in a good light either.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Content to Hover posted:

This is just Luxon preemptively defending his position that landlords can theoretically be in the wrong. After an investigation, there will be evidence that poor people are responsible and landlords should not have the burden of ensuring tenants safety. It will also not be front page news.

Meanwhile, his potential coalition partner Seymour is promising to get rid of all the pesky regulations.

Reminder National also has that stupid "add one regulation, remove two" policy.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Serephina posted:

What's the actual Bill? Well ok ok in laymans terms, just not self-congratulatory politician terms. Lifting on housing restrictions in what way?

"Building in your backyard + first time home buyers" sounds an awful lot like garages converted into studios with no construction codes.

That was for the MDRS. It's the "build 3 stories by right" bill. Note the tweet is from 2021.

It was being posted because Luxon is walking back Nationals support for it.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/MarjaLubeck/status/1663454818684534789

This is also pretty depressing.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Xik posted:

Centrilism is often tedious bullshit but "tedious bullshit" is also how I've been feeling about and would describe the Green party this cycle. They both effectively represent my views on the important things: Climate, Housing and better Tax/UBI system so I would vote for whichever one is actually closer to grabbing any real power.

They can't both represent your views on housing. Raf Manji is just another NIMBY with his "Chch doesn't need the MDRS" bullshit.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Xik posted:

Got a link or quote or something because that's like the exact opposite of their published party policy.

e: Is the joke going to be that he doesn't think Christchurch is a "central city or transit node" so actually doesn't need to follow the MDRS lmao

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/polit...JBJA2AIAVJ5O4E/

Text is what exmarx posted.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Is he resigning from politics entirely, or just from Cabinet?

Just Cabinet so far.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Unironically yes, it's a representative democracy so the government is constrained by public opinion.

This is why the power companies weren't sold off right?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Countdown to blaming Labour for being soft on crime

Countdown to "see gun control doesn't work!" from ACT supporters.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Countdown to blaming Labour for being soft on crime

Yeah this is going to be the narrative all right.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/300931632/auckland-cbd-shooter-was-on-home-detention-for-domestic-violence-charges

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Ignoring whether GST off fruit + vege is a good policy, announcing the thing National already leaked is a sure fire way to make a lot of commentary about it being leaked rather than the policy itself.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Local opposition cans upgrade of Auckland's Upper Harbour Drive cycleway

Carbrain is the cancer that will end our civilisation and deservedly so

imo this is neither good or bad, given they were looking at a bi-directional cycleway on one side of the road with possible minimal protection that stopped short on either end. See https://www.greaterauckland.org.nz/2023/03/06/submit-on-the-upper-harbour-cycleway-redesign/

The real carbrain issue is the crashing into concrete barriers and resulting outrage that led to the interim solution in the first place.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

echinopsis posted:

i don’t know many deets but immediate sacking of whomever is a solid leader move imo

like I don’t like acts policies but i’m sure that bought a bunch of respect

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

Especially when the shitbag tries to turn it around into a free speech thing.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
The people who are going to massively overreact to that are the same people who did the same with Marama earlier in the year - the timing is poo poo but realistically how much hay can they make from the same kind of thing a second time?

Especially when multiple other parties have outright cookers as candidates, bringing it up is likely to elicit "but what about X poo poo your own candidate said".

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
No kidding.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2023/10/guy-williams-asks-chris-luxon-if-he-believes-in-dinosaurs-doesn-t-get-an-answer.html

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
Oh no, Red dipshit #20 lost a seat to Blue oval office #40, changing literally nothing about how many seats each party has in parliament overall.

This is very important for reasons.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

The Prime Minister is the leader of the largest party that forms the Government, procedurally there's no way at all Winston can become PM. Anyone can be Deputy PM because there's not really any rules around that, but Winston cannot be PM and even he's not megalomaniacal enough to demand it.

What gives you that idea? The cabinet manual recognises it's a political decision made by those forming government, the GG doesn't get a say so how would that rule be applied?

quote:

6.42 The process of forming a government is political, and the decision to form a government
must be arrived at by politicians. Government formation may involve one or more parties.

6.45 Accordingly, the Governor-General will, by convention, abide by the outcome of the
government formation process in appointing a government. The Governor-General will
also accept the political decision as to who will lead the government as Prime Minister.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

uh, National's energy policy is ok, they basically lifted it wholesale from the Greens

National's energy policy is shite and isn't remotely same as the Greens policy?

National's has 2 policy points and both are around consents. Greens have all the local generation stuff as well as market reforms and ringfencing gov dividends plus the fossil fuel extraction ban.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

ShinyMcShine posted:

Betting national lose a few, act loses at least 1, Winston required to form government at what was it? 63? 64? seats and they only just have the exact number to get across the line.

Then, it falls apart in about a year as Winston and ol' mate David fight over who gets the title of most worthless politician in the country. Luxon will be in the corner constantly fielding questions about being unable to manage them and who does he thinks is gonna take a shot at his job.

Nicola Willis crashes the economy and then knifes Luxon in the back for being passed over for deputy.

Then back to the polls.

I can dream, right?

If you are ok with dreaming just hope that the specials go incredibly hard to the left taking seats from NACT for Lab + Greens, TPM gain a couple more electorates and cause a bigger overhang, NZF drop below the threshold and, due to the overhang NACT don't have a majority and we get a Lab-Grn-TPM gov afterall.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

ShinyMcShine posted:

It might be a dream but drat would it be funny.

Yeah, it would be.

At least until people started getting incredibly racist about the Maori seats and went all in voter-suppression because HOW DARE THE SPECIAL VOTES CHANGE THINGS.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

bike tory posted:

Turnout was massively down on 2017 and 2020, I guess unsurprisingly. Only 72.8% compared to 79.8% and 82.2% respectively.

Turnout was 78.2%, not 72.8%. RNZ hosed up the number.

https://elections.nz/media-and-news/2023/official-results-for-the-2023-general-election/

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Lobsterpillar posted:

Who's the other green MP that gets in?

Kahurangi Carter.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
For maximum chaos can he just drop dead now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
https://www.documentcloud.org/app?q=%2Bproject%3Anational-act-nz-first-coa-216035%20

Agreements in there.

sebmojo posted:

I think this equates to killing pharmac.

the productivity focus would be insanely unpopular with nz first since presumably it would eliminate meds for everyone past retirement age.

my biggest concern with nzf would be how far they lean into anti trans culture war stuff, my instinct is that it's just bigot bait and will be dropped in the bargaining, but we'll see i guess.

Well the NZ First agreement has these:

quote:

Refocus the curriculum on academic achievement and not ideology, including the removal and replacement of the gender, sexuality, and relationship-based education guidelines.

and

quote:

Ensure publicly funded sporting bodies support fair competition that is not compromised by rules relating to gender.

So I don't think it's all dropped.