Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Weatherman posted:

:firstpost:

Shame we can't have "Yeah" and "Nah" instead of "Post" and "Reply"

Yeah!

cat botherer posted:

how 'bout them sandflies?

Nah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Man I generally appreciate Bernard Hickey's take on things but his constant "a vote for the Greens is wasted as long as the Greens will never credibly side with National, because even if Labour needs them for a coalition they have nothing to bargain with if they wouldn't side with National" thing is utterly braindead.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Te Paati Māori of 2023 is very different to the Māori Party of 2008, and I'd be very surprised if they did go into coalition with National.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I dunno if Luxo has the moral capacity to step down in favour of a woman

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

xiw posted:

fran and stephanie are fun follows but also my pick for most likely winners of the 2024 'shitposting myself into a scandal' pool, not that I'm gonna vote them down because of it

They're the powerful posting representation that we need in Parliament and I will only vote for the Greens if they put them both in the top 12.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

BuckyDoneGun posted:

... but I guess the simple fact that she's a long term elected representative of Howick is a strong indicator that she's gently caress useless, as is tradition in East Auckland politics.

I'm always amazed they parachuted Ol' Luxo into Botany. When both previous representatives can be described as "Disgraced Former MP" (Jami-Lee Ross and Pansy Wong), you're not exactly standing on the shoulders of giants. Oh well, I guess a safe seat is a safe seat.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/pansy-wong-resigns-as-mp/
To be fair it was hardly on the level of JLR, but she did step down and force a by-election.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Chalupa Joe posted:

The same Sharon Stewart who resigned on the first day of a previous Auckland council because someone else was appointed chair of whatever local board she was on?

No I think you're thinking of Lucy Schwaner, (ex?) Wife of Jami-Lee Ross.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Human Rights Commission is just too woke, you see

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Parliamentary Service and Office of the Clerk aren't subject to the OIA, I don't think the Speaker's Office is either.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Yes, not being able to buy a crate after 9pm at some point in the future is exactly the reason Auckland's night life has been dying for years, you are very clever.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

There are community organisations trying to make a difference, but it's very hard when your opposition is a horrible mix of the international alcohol lobby, the local alcohol lobby, and New Zealanders who are all like "she'll be right, my drinking is fine and nothing needs to change for anyone."

My stance is kind of informed by two different perspectives -- I'm pretty into the Wellington cocktail and craft beer scene, but I'm also involved with a group doing Kaupapa Māori research into alcohol abuse among whānau. So it's simultaneously "it is deeply difficult for bars and breweries to exist thanks to lovely zoning laws, on-license hours, costs of living, etc, etc" combined with "it's too easy to get huge quantities of alcohol at home, any attempts to regulate the industry further are fought against tooth and nail by Big Business, the hyper-saturation of liquor stores in areas of social deprivation, and generally lovely drinking culture is causing generational trauma that's destroying the lives of kids and adults".

So I guess I just think that, sure, liquor stores having to close and supermarkets not being able to sell beer after 9 is at best an inconvenience. But gently caress, it's something. And if you can't get pissed at your local, get kicked out when it closes at 10.00 because the neighbours keep calling noise control at 10.01 on the dot, stagger to your nearest liquorland and then keep drinking at home til you pass out as easily anymore, then my comfortable middle-class rear end is willing to put up with having to a bit of inconvenience and mockery from a foreigner.

That said, from what I recall, this is just a single part of the Auckland Council's 2015 attempts at some kind of alcohol reform, it's just back in the news because after fighting it tooth and nail for 8 years, the supermarkets have been told to gently caress off by the Supreme Court. It's not like the Mayor saw a Reddit post last week and got on the blower to Big Alcohol to shut it all down.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The leader of the opposition gets paid approximately $296,000 a year. In his final year as AirNZ CEO, Luxon got paid $4.4 million. He owns three residential properties and at least four investment properties. He probably has, in real terms, more money right now than I will cumulatively have over my entire life.

And he still didn't think to pay someone to make his loving pants fit.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/489973/wellington-hostel-fire-multiple-people-dead-several-injured-at-newtown-s-loafers-lodge

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Oh yeah this is the slam dunk policy they've been looking for, it'll win them the election for sure.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Slavvy posted:

When did I do this?

In the post Wafflecopter quoted, stop being a disingenuous prick. Echinopsis can decide whether or not they want to take the advice, trying to shout down conversation because you think better things aren't possible or whatever is the worst sort of posting.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It was genuinely a good enough policy to make me re-up my party membership, which I'd been considering resigning, so that's something. Not much else I can do to help, but I'll chuck some money at the campaign as and when I can.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Is he resigning from politics entirely, or just from Cabinet?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Probably hoping it blows over in time for Labour's time in opposition during the 55th Parliament.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I ram raided a cone once

Oh you're working on LGWM? Noice.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Not unless they accidentally shatter his phylactery when they're installing the Pou and Pare on the parliament forecourt.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Unelected Dog-Emperor implicated in Mayoral Office Corruption Scandal

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I was about to suggest that animal-chat had run its course, but now that we're poo poo-talking horses, I'm all for it.

Horses are the worst and can gently caress off.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Clearly the solution is less gun control :ACTsay:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I mean if I had a couple of years where I got cancer, divorced, got engaged again, and then separated while working one of the most stressful jobs in the world and being constantly hounded by racists online, I'd probably crack too.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Don't get me wrong, this is rightfully gonna end her political career, I just think it's pretty sad.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

quote:

Stuff has been unable to reach anyone at the address, or the family for comment.

The Ministry of Justice has not commented. However, it is understood the two have never met and the event is thought to be a co-incidence.
Just a real titan of journalism

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

They're currently working on The List, so I imagine everyone's desperately scrambling to not be so low down they're guaranteed to not get back in. Which I guess means it's Labour's turn to leak like a sieve after three years of National.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I once got a whole case of Yellow V at 50 cents a pop because nobody else was buying it and they were ending production. That was the stuff — not enough drinks taste like liquified sour worms anymore.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

exmarx posted:

56 Fleur Fitzsimons (Rongotai)

Labour releases party list for 2023 election https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/494829/labour-releases-party-list-for-2023-election

labour must be confident that jag won't win

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Feijoas don't even have GST when you buy a sack of em from some dude standing on the side of the road.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

redleader posted:

it's more like saying you don't like marvel movies

"Getting a lot of Marvel movie vibes from this", says man who has only ever watched Marvel movies.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

A shot of good espresso mixed with tonic water and a slice of orange over ice rules in summer.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Can't believe luxon's gone woke

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Sounds good. Still gonna vote Te Paati Māori though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Base rate for shinies is 1/4096, but this can be improved through various methods.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Which is why electorate votes should be changed to STV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

You might still be able to!

https://vote.nz/overseas/vote-from-overseas/vote-from-overseas/ posted:

The rules about who can vote from overseas have changed.

You can enrol and vote in the 2023 General Election from overseas if all the following statements are true:

• you are 18 years or older
  • you’ve lived in New Zealand for more than 12 months continuously at some time in your life

You are one of the following:
  • a New Zealand citizen who has been in New Zealand within the last 6 years
  • a New Zealand permanent resident who has been in New Zealand within the last 4 years.