Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Anticheese posted:

Can you please elaborate?

I may be wrong but I think it's referring to the approach giving it a slow start - give it to local government first, and then later think about it for central.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

redleader posted:

the first time my wife voted she did act + greens

Everyone makes mistakes in their youth I guess

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I read that someone had identified her and it's more of less what you think. She was at the parliament protest too

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Taitale posted:

Rainbow Greens have been trying to get her nzeta revoked for two and a half weeks with literally nothing happening about it until this week after her event in Melbourne got outright nazis turning up. So if they are going to revoke it they are taking their sweet loving time with it.

Plus it sounds like even if she can't enter the country terfs and other alt right types plan on turning up anyway now.

Immigration NZ have announced that they were reviewing it, which is what prompted her to make white supremacist symbols and threaten chippy.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I for one, am shocked that conference goers would be drunk and dancing during the time they had a band playing.

Apparently, Wayne's memory is lacking because the event was probably the community board conference with minimal association with LGNZ. But that's coming from a biased source (head of LGNZ)

I also saw that leaving LGNZ means Auckland may not get to realise the benefits of a streetlight dimming scheme which could be up to $1M a year.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

El Pollo Blanco posted:

the whites in this place ain't right

Off whites

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Apparently the National parties new renewable energy policy is "continue doing more or less what's already in the works".
I guess it's nice to see a policy announcement that is essentially announcing support for the current government, not a reactionary "we won't do this thing", but it's still pretty thin...

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

their whole election strategy seems to be about taking the wind out of nationals sails. National already came out screaming about a tax grab so labour will need to make sure the narrative stays focused on making the rich pay their fair share to ease the burden on the hardworking kiwis who are doing it tough at the moment

Ironically National is trying to make it about the average hard working kiwi but actually meaning the rich. But it seems to be they're so transparent/bad at it that it's like a midjourney picture of AI generated people trying to be real people, complete with the tech bros /NAct bros insisting that it's amazing how realistic it is.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

There's no way they'll try to do a capital gains tax, I expect Hipkins will rule it out the way Jacinda did. But the new 39% top tax bracket showed that tax increases on the wealthy are perfectly acceptable to voters so long as opposition can't scaremonger about them impacting broadly, like they did with the greens wealth tax last election, and like they do with capital gains tax ("the government's coming for your house"). Wealthy people don't vote labour anyway so they won't be worried about alienating them. The only risk really is that it'll drive shitloads of money to the National and ACT party campaigns and the TPU.

Like wealthy donors donating $1M to Act? Oh wait...

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Varkk posted:

Oh gently caress and just saw a school did an outdoor education caving trip in this and a student was swept away.

Uhhh wtf why did they not cancel? Caving you need to be aware of what the weather is doing

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Good news everybody, in-laws are not considered family, and also some Christchurch councillors don't pay attention during meetings or read the agendas.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

"I make no apologies for strengthening regulations if it saves lives" - Christopher Luxon

Lol at framing this as a tough decision he has to make

Luxon coming in strong undermining (overriding?) Simeon Brown and supporting road to zero and reduced speed limits, I see!

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The argument that lower speed limits increase driver fatigue is incredibly common in this dumb country, the number of local government submissions opposing reducing 50km/h zones to 30km/h that use the driver fatigue argument is hilarious
It's not just this country, it pops up in (at least) the UK and almost certainly in most countries that are moving towards lower speed limits.

Also lol people will watch their Speedo more. Most people hardly look at it now and end up speeding.

The same people who say roadworkers should work 24/7 also probably complain that roadworkers aren't actively doing something on a worksite when they drive past.
Also, some roadwork you literally cannot do in wet or cold weather (which is why so much gets done over summer)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Spyderizer posted:

The car addled would literally see nothing wrong with blasting an 800km, 12 lane hole through every hill and forest if it meant not having to wait for a passing lane.

Until they see the cost estimate and construction time phasing, choose to disbelieve both, and then act surprised they can't find a contractor who will do it

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Hillary 2024 posted:

Gonna be waiting 6.5 hours today in Waitakere Hospital ED to be seen, the wait at Auckland ED last weekend was 4-5 hours. If only National would make wait times an election issue rather than their usual bullshit

You could weasel your way around it by measuring wait times as "time until triaged" rather than "time until treated" and then just front load triage staff, when the reality is you'll still be sitting around at the hospital for most of the day.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

Some of the rejected genAI images for nationals recent attack ads were specifically crowded hospital waiting rooms.

Has it ever been the case that you'd be seen quickly at hospital EDs? Other than for the usual set of brain/cardiovascular symptoms that jump you up the line. I remember breaking my arm as a kid and having to sit around for hours.

Broke a leg recently and had the same. To be fair they put me on a bed fairly quick, then had to get x-rays.... Then the surgeon had to look at them, get another x-ray from a different angle, even a CT scan. With all the people involved it's definitely going to be a couple hours. It's okay, I want exactly going anywhere.
I imagine it is maybe quicker now in some ways now that x-rays can be pretty much instantaneous and available digitally. But then that's probably just led to staff being cut

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
This list, while possibly out of date, is enlightening with respect to what industries might have people earning over 125k
https://nz.visaenvoy.com/salaries-in-new-zealand/

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I mean we could label this the "Gabrielle recession" but I don't feel that's fair to either people named Gabrielle or indeed to Xena: Warrior Princess.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

I love to inform people that traditional waka taua were longer and carried more people than the ship that Cook came to NZ in. Always good to remember when you see waka translated as "canoe".

"Canoe" in the same way that both a rifleman and a moa are"birds", or indeed a cockabully and a great white shark are "fish".

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

Oh yeah big oof. All the sort of stuff my grandparents would have believed true because duh everyone knows that, and it seems really hard to shake that kind of 'knowledge' that is somehow built into the accepted cultural background of the country. Almost like the racism is grandfathered in with each generation.

Like the (sculptures? Statues? Models?) of pre-settler Maori in the Christchurch museum which somehow it has only recently been decided that yes actual what local Iwi have been saying for who knows how long is true, they are racist and inaccurate and so maybe we'll replace them

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

kaiwero posted:

https://youtu.be/ycRcWK7pMoM

This is a pretty interesting view on the latest DNA research on Polynesians.

Giving strong weight to the theory that they had reached South America (and brought back the sweet potato).

And that yeah they knew what they were doing how could you not when you settled the largest body of water in the world.

Theory? I thought it was pretty well established that they reached South America. They got all over the Pacific.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

El Pollo Blanco posted:

you don't want to give portfolios to someone with qualifications as they might actually do something, and in a modern representative democracy doing anything but upholding the status quo is considered to be extremely bad

That explains why Simeon Brown is the National spokesperson for transport

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Did they remove his capital letters because he's a convicted fraudster?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

echinopsis posted:

is it just me or is the internet in chch more poo poo lately? even mobile data

real up and down
I've been having some intermittent network connection issues at work today if that counts

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

How has no one posted this itt yet

I can get behind smash bros being the thing that gets localised versions rather than monopoly, which isn't even a good game.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

It's better when you play the actual rules without free parking and poo poo, because it at least doesn't drag on forever like Risk but in rural NZ or loving World of Warcraft or w/e

E: it's still not good, but at least it's less bad
Congestion charging but only for the car token

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
The primary goal of these two major parties is to get themselves re elected. Governing well is not their main concern (and maybe not a concern at all)

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

I'm not angry or disappointed, just very tired

Eventually that'll turn into impotent rage I guess

Ironically a wealth tax would pay several times over Nationals bloody pothole fund

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Is anyone else concerned that the senior advisors home location (even if it's just approximate) is being aired by journalists? Say some psycho far right lunatic has a grudge against the ministry of justice or just the government - now they have more information on how to locate an employee.
I mean unless the senior advisor in question told the journalists they live there but for some reason I doubt that.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

I'm confident the people by far most likely to kill me are, and will continue to be, car drivers

*cough* sorry I mean:

I'm from te atatu and I say kill em all!!!

In which case yes Auckland still a very dangerous place. Those 'Street people' driving their cars around the streets

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

Can only speak to the current Auckland crowd, but by and large there seems to be more or less a consensus that comedy shouldn't punch down.

For more comedy, National are revealing the centrepiece of their election campaign today: just one more lane bro.

Four lanes from Whangarei to Tauranga, four lanes to the planes.

(It's going to work. The only major transport infrastructure we're getting in the next 15 years is going to be another couple of lands from Hamilton to Tauranga, and another car tunnel through Mt Vic that will be just as choked with cars as the current one within five years of opening, just like the Waterview Tunnel in Auckland).

40 million per km and with a cost that's extremely lowball, "party of fiscal responsibility"

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Firstscion posted:

Where else would I get a lime milkshake?

Look sometimes you just want to be able to vomit pure green

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

victorious posted:

Every time I hear Blackrock I think they're talking about the American mercenary group that used to be called Blackwater.

I think Black Mesa

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Faceless evil corporation vs in your face evil boomers

Who would win? Faceless evil corporation or a bunch of NIMBY boomers,?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

sebmojo posted:

how often should people go to the supermarket

Got a while I would occasionally stop by at the supermarket on the way home from work. Ended up going 3-4 times a week, mostly small shops, whatever works fit into a bag or two on the bike.
This is easier to do of course with a conveniently placed supermarket which not all are

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah, despite National and their business/farm cronies being vocally in favour of importing and exploiting foreign labour, this will just get spun as Labour failing to manage immigration and why they shouldn't be in charge of the border.

I dunno I saw a headline today along the lines of "National Party donors investigated for running a slum for migrant workers"

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

exmarx posted:

p sure national is copying the uk tories with their policy to bleed migrants for more revenue

They copy them (or attempt to,) in so many other things, so why not that too?

Also lol at the ECE tax thing, how much of that is going to enrich the Wright family? Are they a national donor or are they more ACT?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Solus posted:

Half Sour Cream, Half Butter

Toss in Paprika, Salt, Pepper

ez

Are you putting potatoes in that or...?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

klen dool posted:

Questions like "The government should put more emphasis on adapting to climate change rather than trying to prevent it." are tricky because I agree if only because I want maximum effort in both - there is no reason it has to be a trade off. It's inevitable because bigger countries and decided to make it inevitable. How do I even answer that?

I interpreted that as a National dog whistle to not do any mitigation and focus solely on adaption.
The reality is that mitigation and adaptation are closely linked in many situations eg transport, where current levels of private car use are unsustainable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Beartaco posted:

Not responding to you specifically but I've found a lot of people take the stance of "Well we're just a small nation, what can we do to solve a global problem" and I don't think they're wrong, so I find it helpful to instead appeal to New Zealand's standing in the global community. We have targets that we agreed to under the Paris Accords. What matters is our ability to follow through on our commitments, because that's what drives tourism and economic co-operation with larger nations.

I hear that Rod Carr has some strong words for people who say that sort of thing.