Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
loving over libraries is unforgivable if you ask me. i mean he already sucked but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
left and right are not used in a useful way in most political discourse. I'd even say they're deliberately obfuscated.

but the terms do have well defined ideologies, with social and economic elements often able to be maneuvered through separately by particular parties or individuals. this is as true in nz as anywhere.

you're right not to want to fall into dem/rep style discourse when talking about nz, but i think that's a different thing

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Ratios and Tendency posted:

We happily banned Tyler, the Creator when he tried to come here lmfao

ah but you see he's different in some way... there's some crucial difference... can't put my finger on it...

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Sphyre posted:

not getting paid twice for public holidays happens when there is a public holiday on sunday (for example) that gets monday-ized and you happen to work both the sunday and the monday. good friday and easter monday are two separate public holidays so you should get paid for both

This is right. Employers in NZ can be really wrong on this, even down to HR people who you'd think would know the law enough to do their jobs, but I've seen people do poo poo like "oh you only worked till 1:30am on the public holiday and you don't work Monday so it doesn't count" or whatever. The common-sense way you imagine it to work is indeed how the law's written but bosses love to pretend it's real complex and full of exceptions.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Also if you benefit from not looking into things, why the hell would you look into them? "Just checking if I owe my employees more than they in their ignorance expect"?

I've seen it play out multiple times in multiple countries. That poo poo is universal - enforcement is lax and worker awareness is nil so why would they bother getting it right?

Hell I was party to a class action suit that sent me a check like 13 years after I worked at a dying blockbuster (but when BB was still huge and owned by Viacom) due to Viacom not knowing California's laws about breaks. Like, a giant company that had a team of permanently engaged lawyers and such. Sky NZ, same.

I believe it's better to view all of this, inertia or ignorance or not, as malice and act accordingly in your own interest.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
billy t james $10000 note

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i don't remember why but one time i found this phrase i had written and forgotten, which i assume is meant to be sung to the tune of "Hold On, I'm Comin'":

now if i ever... live on Tuarangi Road... poo poo on me... when times get bad...

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
levin always seemed cool to me because it was named after a toyota

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
weird how your managers weren't mad about you taking a shorter break than your legal entitlement

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Content to Hover posted:

the richest pay around half the effective tax in comparison to the average person due to capital gains.

is this meant to be news to anyone with a concept of what capital gains are? it's the point of using a distinctive term for that kind of income. uhh i mean gain.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Excuse my ignorance as I try to remain ignorant of them as much as possible while not living in NZ and forced to deal with them, but isn't ACT exactly what you're describing? I mean don't they discard the "libertarian" stuff whenever they feel like it?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it's the whole lenin winning vs being right thing. greens think being a fringe party means they're all individuals because in everyday life, true, being a soft lefty is pretty unusual and will make you feel that way.

i'd appreciate some ruthlessness and discipline in that party

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
yes it's not like there's no validity to being open like that but there's a balance to be struck if you are concerned with power and enacting a programme. there's nothing inherently more democratic about looking like a mess to the outside world of the voters you're trying to win.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Beartaco posted:

did you guys know that james cameron actually goes by "jim"?

hosed if true

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
my kid went to a&e in london and was out before 3 hours were up (though the treatment part of it all was much shorter than for a broken arm). it absolutely can be better

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i like the idea of going into emergency with a gushing wound on my hand or something and going "uhhhh electrocuted".
or like when my baby vaulted headfirst out of her high chair, taking her in and just going "yeah she landed on her head um and it was in a puddle that was electrified so if you could check out her electrocution wound and maybe just let me know about the bump too".
ringing up my GP about insomnia due to nightly electrocution, etc

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
who can tell me: do old-rear end waka get found much? i feel like i've never seen another story like that. obviously there's some old ones in museums that survived, but have there been other sunken waka finds?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I've seen that one! hosed up though!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the Empire of Blood will accept nothing less, I guess

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
thanks for the link. that's some cool poo poo. i remember seeing the vasa, a huge 1600s ship that sailed about 300m and instantly sank in stockholm harbour, and reading how it had to soak in PEG for like decades when it was brought up. but it's big as hell

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

El Pollo Blanco posted:

white men are garbage and mostly vote for national so thinking the greens lost votes over marama is peak idiot

this isn't to claim you're wrong but has anyone got an accurate number on this tendency? I know most nat voters have gotta be white men but how many white men are nat voters, percentage wise?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

it should be allowed to run this kind of piece if you also run ten pro-ram-raid articles alongside it

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
factory? go local, get your rocks off at momona garage

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i'm a senior fellow at the taxin' that assss institute

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
ok, "ram raid" is now a sex thing guys

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

WarpedNaba posted:

Nah, it's just migrated to the cities from the rural sector.

also a sex thing

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

:shrug: I've seen these claims made over and over and over and I've only seen things get worse every time investors get their way, so I'm ready to say gently caress it, let's see what happens. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way either.

you don't even need to go that ambiguous. it's well established in loads of countries and municipalities, as are the effects.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
you mean honest kiwi psycho battlers

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i grew up in a woke family but all we really did was celebrate the woke holidays, we were just culturally woke. got some great woke recipes from my grandma

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i'm tempted to paraphrase dril and encourage people to keep talking about crazed woke psychos because it has been so thoroughly proven to be an election loser in the US. but maybe NZ is stupider in this way? i dunno

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i never gave it much thought til i had little kids, but now that i know a guy who lives in the building next to mine lets his dog off leash when it has killed two neighbours' cats, one right outside my front door, and has police orders not to take it off leash, i'm not sure i'm cool with random people bringing their unleashed dogs into close contact with me and my pram with a 1 year old in it.

outdoors is outdoors, what are you gonna do, but i see a lot of dogs at least physically capable of biting a baby's face off and unfortunately a lot of lovely owners keeping big dogs shut up in apartments going nuts, and outside is where i'd rather keep those encounters in case i meet the exceptional case

anyway unrelated to some bullshit article but #itsmytwocents. in my view... smooth peanut butter... is number one.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
shouldn't have made the korora sanctuary the only electorate

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
and let's face it, not really reading and writing either. nothing that might spark a critical thought

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the only place i've ever felt really uncomfortable at night in nz was ponsonby road after an absence from 2012-2023. that crowd SUCKS now. gruelers. and that was not out of fear of crime just dislike of the yuppies

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
is standup crowd work really rough and unfunny in NZ? just judging from your story, and how my partner once got ripped to poo poo at a show till she left. her crime was sitting quietly and not laughing at stuff she didn't find funny. i only have those examples but i've literally never heard somebody talk about any other standup show in nz.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
more than like Q and WEF conspiracies and such, the 15 minute city one really troubles me. how loving psychotic do you have to be to hear "we want all the basics of your life to be available within 15 minutes transport" and come up with globoprison?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

exmarx posted:

ACT promises big cuts to MBIE staffing and projects https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/495248/act-promises-big-cuts-to-mbie-staffing-and-projects

this is obvs hilariously bad, but i wanna know why rnz posted and then pulled this article on friday...

it also seems weird for act to announce poo poo like this when they're ostensibly meant to be pro business. who is this policy for? ron paul's corpse?

like the one bit of this i know personally is the screen stuff - tax rebates on big productions coming to nz. i hated that it was so hard to get stuff funded locally when avatar or lotr got tens of millions off tax. but basically those projects simply would never happen in nz without a rebate - too many other countries have them - and when they do happen they bring so much money and jobs. it's very much an imaginary tax hit.

like why wouldn't act want that?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I just don't get it. What the hell is with Epsom? Why would THEY want that either?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Also do dairies even take good margins on tobacco products? Isn't most of it tax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Progressive JPEG posted:

idk why anyone goes to dairies

but i also didn't understand convenience stores / bodegas / etc in the US either so maybe its just me

I love dairies and hate supermarkets. I will pop into a dairy unplanned just to see if they've got some weird imported fizzy drinks in recently or newspapers for Irish expats or whatever, whereas i order delivery for my weekly supermarket shop because i hate being in them so much.

This is in the UK btw I don't know if Countdown deliver but I hope they do when I move back. And I liked my local dairies back in NZ too.