Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sign me up for the pole poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

wow just imagine how stressful getting emails like this would be if my bank deposits weren't fully insured haha

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if I was in some kind of bizarro world where deposits weren't guaranteed, I'd feel inclined to withdraw everything and compound the problem!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

good thing there's a bill in select committee at the moment that would introduce deposit insurance up to $100k :)

also that our banking sector is well regulated with fairly high requirements for banks to hold liquid capital

if half of your deposits leave in a panic, it doesn't matter if the required capital margin had been 1% or 20%

but that of course wouldn't be a problem, there's nothing to worry about since it's not like NZ banks are concentr...

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the point is that bank runs are powered by psychology, to the point that the strength of the bank's asset mix doesn't matter if everyone's afraid of losing all their money

deposit insurance defeats this fear

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

Not entirely, obviously, given the two banks who just got taken out by bank runs!

SVB weren't the only ones to think interest rates rises were a thing of the past. RBNZ only resumed including an interest rate rise as a part of the 2021 stress test scenario after having ignored it since 2014. In that worst-case scenario, the peak OCR rate was 5.5%. We're now only at 4.75% and rising so she'll be right.

For comparison, it was 8.25% in 2007-2008

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

We be big pimpin', we ex-MPs

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Content to Hover posted:

I'd rather our title did not make light of any of that.

username/post combo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i think thats the first time i've seen doonesbury mentioned since, idk, 2003?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gee i wonder what frasier is up to these days!!!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Immigration NZ basically shut down when covid started, even for services for people that were already here. Meanwhile they still haven't really come back.

For example upgrading to a permanent resident visa was previously a quick approval, since the main qualification is just whether you've been on a resident status visa for long enough. Think it was previously 3-5 days territory? But even now the median processing time just for that is 52 days - or 5 months for 90th percentile lol

This is probably an area where things would get better under a national government since they like immigrants

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 21, 2023

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Content to Hover posted:

Labour are trying to decide if giving National and ACT a talking point about free speech in an election year is worth as much as the safety of a marginalized community. This is an issue that I am pretty sure we can all agree would not get better under a National government.

the focus groups are also out on strike, and labour can't decide until they're back

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

To all white cis men, I say I'm sorry.

Sorry you're responsible for most of the violence!

actually I believe the claim as stated is that it's all the violence

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

Not a hint of a lie there. Hard "not all men" from Mr Luxon and co.

too gay for the right

too white and cis for the left

stereotypes all around

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

cis white men cause violence is just a statement of fact, fam

no its all me, personally

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

klen dool posted:

gently caress she didn't say "all" at all. Not even a hint of "all", the audio couldn't be clearer.

I kind thought she was being a tad hyperbolic but understandably so, and to be clear I don't think she needed to clarify, but she didn't even say what I thought she said!

what percentage would she have been thinking?

I'm pretty sure it's a low percentage because as previously mentioned I am personally the source of all violence

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

They're the powerful posting representation that we need in Parliament and I will only vote for the Greens if they put them both in the top 12.

hi fran

or stephanie

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ledge posted:

companies look at this demand and figure they can further increase prices as they seem to be able to get away with it, hiding behind saying wages have increased, oh no :(

and they get away with it because covid drastically cut the supply of everything, while subsidies (including low rates by rbnz) kept demand high. this is all specifically a hangover from that

wasn't everyone just complaining about cost of living a month or two ago?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ledge posted:

Note that wages are around 20-35% of the costs of products (depending on industry), so even a wage increase of 10% should only cause a 2-3.5% increase in prices. And that is only if all the employees in a company get that increase.

wait what

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cool thanks for the update

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gotta help rt somehow

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

don't worry construction is mid-crash atm

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Isnt half the NZ economy effectively various industries centred around housing speculation? Gee I wonder if there could be a negative effect on productivity resulting from that

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I'm just picturing all the ancillary stuff like sales commissions, mortgage interest, tradie vehicles and the fuel they use to drive in circles all day, property managers, legal services, media coverage e.g. house flipping shows being broadcast at all times day or night, insurance premiums, building materials, accountants, ... and the apparently vast advertising budgets for all of these

I think I'm remembering this article from before the crash

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh and meth testing! who could forget that bullshit lmao

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Content to Hover posted:

The word ban is a bit misleading, the bill would require medications to meet certain standards before it can be imported

It even has an rule that would allow for limited exceptions

The woman in the article is importing a generic version of a cancer drug that is in use in New Zealand. As a known drug, it likely meets the same standards and the expensive testing hasn't been done to show this. If it doesn't meet those standards then letting people take it is dangerous.

if a given drug had already been approved for that purpose in say AU, EU, or US, is it still "dangerous" in NZ?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a bit out of scope vs pharmacy medicine but are sunscreens still legally treated/regulated as "beauty products"?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

talofa deez nuts

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

there's no drama like greens drama

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it's the whole lenin winning vs being right thing. greens think being a fringe party means they're all individuals because in everyday life, true, being a soft lefty is pretty unusual and will make you feel that way.

i'd appreciate some ruthlessness and discipline in that party

the best part of being a fringe party is that you still get the publicity without needing to deal with pesky responsibility. win/win

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

they didn't even have functioning alarms if the stories on RNZ are any indication. sprinklers wouldn't have hurt but i wouldn't be optimistic that they'd have been in a functioning state if installed either

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

why's every store gotta be a kind of warehouse anyway

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

should have the numbers in te reo too

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the mines of moria act was all filmed in a partially completed city link station

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

gotta say if i or my husband got pregnant thatd be pretty amazing

(both cis)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

nice boat

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Spotted the coloniser

anti immigrant rhetoric

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

El Pollo Blanco posted:

white men are garbage and mostly vote for national so thinking the greens lost votes over marama is peak idiot

the racism is coming from inside the thread

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

yeah uhh it's not great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

is late 30s middle aged? if so then I guess I'd better apologise in advance