Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Spiteski posted:

I am not an economist... but that sounds absolutely bonkers right? Like, can someone explain this like I am an idiot? (I am) why there is a MINIMUM unemployment?

The thought process is, if you don't have enough people unemployed, then businesses have to offer better money to get or retain staff.

That means they have to charge more pushing prices up.

Note that wages are around 20-35% of the costs of products (depending on industry), so even a wage increase of 10% should only cause a 2-3.5% increase in prices. And that is only if all the employees in a company get that increase.

Also people will have more money to spend, increasing demand for products and companies look at this demand and figure they can further increase prices as they seem to be able to get away with it, hiding behind saying wages have increased, oh no :(

The solution that capitalism comes up with when companies start price gouging and making excessive profits is to punish workers. This punishment is to take money away from them to try and make them buy less. This is done by increasing interest rates. One of the things this does is increase mortgage rates, so people have less money to spend. It will also hopefully make more people unemployed so they also buy less. And businesses are more able to exploit workers.

This is a good thing apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Modern civilisation is a piece of poo poo and needs to be destroyed, idk if being late for everything will achieve that though

Don't worry it is.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

lol, have a sook, oval office.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

I've never met and do not know anything about any of those women, but can guarantee that if I did I would viscerally hate every single one of them.

Just looking at that is making me angry.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Firstscion posted:

Did we forget about the 6 O'clock Swill?

Oh come on. This isnt even slightly similar.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Content to Hover posted:

Since David Seymour has announced his support of the Mayor of Gore, I am now willing to admit that the council may have valid reasons why they are trying to oust him.

Might be one of those situations where everyone involved sucks.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Lobsterpillar posted:

Theory? I thought it was pretty well established that they reached South America. They got all over the Pacific.

I'm going to assume they meant theory, as in the theory of gravity, or theory of evolution.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

bike tory posted:

ata mārie tātou

:mods:

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/wellington/300930431/why-tory-whanaus-dog-is-her-latest-headache

Great work Stuff, really asking the important questions.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

klen dool posted:

In residential properties, sure. 100%

okay but my point stands, surely you understand that someone working at the council would feel like they can't tell the mayor they don't like their dog being around.
In fact I don't think people should have to go out of their way to ask people not to bring dogs in places where dogs usually aren't - like somewhere you have to go like work or the supermarket or school or whatever

Weird hill to die on, buddy.

Stuff framed it as "This is the latest in a number of controversies surrounding the mayor." Nowhere in the article did it say any of the staff had a problem with it, and you can bet your bottom dollar they went looking for someone who wasn't happy about it.

And then they went on to rehash the bullshit story about the non-issue at a restaurant.

It's pathetic lovely journalism, but you do you.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Beartaco posted:

What's with the attitude man. You make some good points but chill the gently caress out lol

Someone was defending Stuff. I can't let that stand.

Also dogs in non pet stores are great. Except restaurants, except if they're at tables outside and being chill.

Also dogs in bars are also great.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

loving christ!

https://twitter.com/David_Cormack/status/1684817381313634305?t=JNafUsEE2ex4WBnJXOvDfg&s=19

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

bike tory posted:

Can only speak to the current Auckland crowd, but by and large there seems to be more or less a consensus that comedy shouldn't punch down.

For more comedy, National are revealing the centrepiece of their election campaign today: just one more lane bro.

Four lanes from Whangarei to Tauranga, four lanes to the planes.

(It's going to work. The only major transport infrastructure we're getting in the next 15 years is going to be another couple of lands from Hamilton to Tauranga, and another car tunnel through Mt Vic that will be just as choked with cars as the current one within five years of opening, just like the Waterview Tunnel in Auckland).

Utopia was a documentary.

https://youtu.be/pCzCJzwrB_c

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

if instead of a second mt vic tunnel they instead did a tunnel under/north of the basin reserve i think it'd be pretty good actually

What if, and hear me out here, what if they just improved public transport and cycling options instead?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

gently caress all y'all feijoa haters. They are the best.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i don’t know many deets but immediate sacking of whomever is a solid leader move imo

like I don’t like acts policies but i’m sure that bought a bunch of respect
From RNZ:

quote:

One candidate who likened vaccine mandates to concentration camps has resigned, while another who linked the Covid-19 vaccines to drownings has renounced the comments and apologised.

A third candidate, Anto Coates, who referred to Covid-19 as "mass hysteria" and in a parody song said former prime minister Dame Jacinda Ardern had thought about thowing people in a gulag - and stepped down more than a month ago.

ACT leader David Seymour said Coates had resigned "for personal reasons".

So no sackings and one is still a candidate.

ACT: The party of paedos and cookers.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

In better news, we have tui in our back yard for the first time in the 13 years we've lived here!

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

bike tory posted:

The benefits of higher benefits (lol) are for everyone too, not just for people getting money from the government. Higher benefits exert upward pressure on wages and lead to better working conditions and more productive businesses. That's because employers have to offer higher wages to attract people, people are able to spend longer looking for work rather than accepting a less desirable job, and the kind of businesses that are profitable in that environment have to be more productive. It has a positive structural impact on the economy.

Additionally, with a UBI more people will try starting their own business, as they now have the security of the UBI so they can afford to take the risk.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/rugbyintel/status/1711207423233732817?t=l4iKBshlJBNk7MgWpFIB-A&s=19

He's really not very good at this.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, I just spent a couple of hours chainsawing and clearing up a tree that came down. It was the lucerne that kereru fed on, so I'm a bit annoyed.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Went to vote, found another tree that has come down.

This surely is a sign.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Brain In A Jar posted:

What exactly is Brooke van Velden’s hair situation

And did she murder a homeless person on the way to the event?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

what's wrong with the luxon tweet?

:munch:

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

you didn't know sanitarium is named that because it was a religious mental asylum whose owners invented corn flakes as part of their belief that bland food would stop masturbation urges?

That's kellogs with the cornflakes masturbation thing.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

bike tory posted:

We might finally be getting a government

That's a pity.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

The feeling of malaise is overwhelming.

It's all just so depressing. I don't understand how people vote for these cunts that are just going to make things worse.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

This means businesses can take on staff over a busy season (eg summer for hospo) and then go "sorry, you didn't pass your trial" when they're no longer needed

They could do that anyway. You can make people redundant, you just can't hire someone to replace them immediately.

The 90 trial period is straight up bullshit

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Don't you people understand? We absolutely must give massive tax breaks to landlords, therefore gently caress everyone and everything else.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Considering it's a one page piece of legislation, labour probably should have put it through in 2020

Along with fair pay agreements, capital gains tax, wealth tax, and a poo poo load of other stuff. But you can't upset people who were never going to vote for you again anyway.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

The central library is fantastic, to be fair.

And maybe the pool complex in town will be finished one day.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Firstscion posted:

May i interest you in Palmerston North?

No you may not.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm posting this out of context because frankly I don't think the context loving matters when this is what you're saying

But don't you understand, if these fellas can't wear their patches they won't be able to do crimes. Or something.

I'm not quite sure what the logic is. But it pleases the idiots who voted them in and is easy to implement and that's the important thing. Not if it actually has any impact, because doing things that work to reduce gang membership, like reducing poverty and not loving over people on benefits is apparently hard.

Hateful, evil, stupid cunts, every single one of them.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Varkk posted:

Comedian Leigh Hart is a chud.

Didn't we already know this? Or at least that he's a complete dick.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Please don't threaten violence against actual humans, even where they are objectively awful

What about Nazis? I always thought punching Nazis was objectively a good thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

What a loving condescending oval office!

On top of that, sandwiches are the highest contributor to food waste in school lunches. Even more so when they'll be the cheapest, shittiest sandwiches known to humankind. Then they'll point to all the waste and cancel the programmes anyway.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/05/07/when-it-comes-to-free-school-lunches-how-much-waste-can-we-live-with/