Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:firstpost:

Shame we can't have "Yeah" and "Nah" instead of "Post" and "Reply"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sphyre posted:

(L-R, front row) jeffrey of yospos, spr, spr

:drat:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

exmarx posted:

A+ browser extension

idgi

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
the car was named after the town, idiot

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I heard her explanation of the texts where she said she was talking about herself and it makes complete sense to me. Like how I'll message my brother about how I'm all excited over getting some lovely raspberry pi config to work and then immediately follow that up with the Homer Simpson "NEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRD!" gif.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
*filthy poors have more babies*

no not like that

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I wouldn't, but I *don't care*. I want things to be funded properly.

:same:

e: I am apparently one of the few people with high paying jobs that understands I'm privileged as gently caress and that my level of comfort with living should be the baseline for everyone in the country.

:yossame:

Wafflecopper posted:

Aotearoa Newzealand Politics: vomiting and diahorrea. lmao

exmarx please do the needful

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

ITS COMING HOOOOME

Your baby wrote you a letter?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dragonstoned posted:

The "V" stands for "not Very good"

I'd say it stand for Vile poo poo. I had my first and last one 25 years ago because i was about to drive six hours to visit my parents after work on Friday and thought it would help in some way. It did not.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

El Pollo Blanco posted:

it's 2023 and utter smoothbrains still think there's reds under the bed

I fuckin' wish there were reds under the beds, so I could vote for them

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lobsterpillar posted:

They should have knocked 6% off the requirement, it would make it a more popular policy

:regd08:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Winston’s TV ads say we have to “take our country back”.

Does anyone have a single clue who from? I wasn’t aware we’d been invaded by anyone except Costco.

The Saturday market here in Whanganui has had the local candidates running stalls for the past few weeks. Three Saturdays ago I stopped at the NZF stall and asked, in all innocence, "who from?"

I poo poo you not, the first three things mentioned were, verbatim, "the WHO", "the UN", and "academics". OK, the first two have standard loony explanations but "why academics?"

"Because they're indoctrinating our young."

:shrek:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It also makes Labour think "see? We won that seat without giving anything up to the Greens, therefore we are on the correct course".

e: that's to comrade byatlov

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

cptn_dr posted:

Which is why electorate votes should be changed to STV

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

but why do you think the economy could continue functioning if people weren’t out there grinding?

capitalism steals value from labour, but this value is not meaningless. even if most of the work itself that people do is meaningless, the value generated at the expense of their labour is still very real. and even if most gets funnelled upstairs, it still needs to be there

capitalism is a huge grinding machine that generates value, for better or for worse, but that value absolutely has meant most of us live comfortable lives, even if things have been a poo poo lately.

are you trying to say we could somehow turn this machine off, but things would still be fine?

wouldn’t there be huge cuts to the levels of comfort and convenience that we are used to?

and I don’t think the arguments stands, for example, that if we taxed the rich enough (or some wealth redistribution) then we could pay for this, but it’s a zero sum game so while the rich lose we win but the machine still works??

We could cut the arms and legs and most of the torso off the machine and there would still be plenty of resources left for everyone on the planet* ** ***

Basically what this goon said:

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

If wealth was distributed even marginally more equally and we got rid of a lot of the useless jobs, people could be working 10 hours a week and still have a good quality of life, just not at the ridiculous levels of waste and decadence that say the US middle class live at. The fact you think that wouldn't be possible just shows how effective the propaganda that keeps the hierarchy in place is.

* because think about the hectobillionaires that still shamefully have their heads attached to their bodies, and all their yachts and estates and cars and whatnot -- all those resources rightly belong to the people who did the work producing the value, not to the dude who inherited a four-mile head start from his ancestors

** "enough for everyone" except said billionaires, because their heads will be detached from their bodies

*** and this is also why everyone who says "the world has too many people, we need to depopulate" are either woefully misinformed or are talking about "you know, those people"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

I am a health care worker. our sector is depressingly and terrifyingly understaffed

so what are your thoughts on all nurses and doctors and everyone else switching to 1/4 of their current output??

Can you please at least have a bit of a think about the current causes of that precise situation and the factors that go into it before you make flippant, bad takes like that?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

the mechanism that has pulled huge swathes of the world out of poverty

The western world, you mean. Capitalism did the western world just fine by loving over generations and generations of the rest of the world.

Slavvy posted:

Read a goddamn book holy poo poo

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
the strain on the health system would be less if people could afford to look after themselves and to seek medical advice/attention when an issue began instead of when it became critical

the strain on the health system would be less if people weren't so stressed out all the time about whether they could pay either the electric or the fuel bill this week

the strain on the health system would be less (next generation) if children could get fed properly, have a stable home life, and receive ability-based education so that kids with big brains and lovely living situations would actually have the ability to become doctors

look at srinivasa ramanujan for an example of the amazing prodigies you can find all around the place but who get nowhere* because glaxxo smith exxon mobil mart has decided to dump chemicals in their neighbourhood, or jack up the price of insulin, or generally just gently caress over the poors so that the blessed number (pbuh) goes up

* yes i realise ramanujan got somewhere at least but if you're going to respond based on that then don't bother, you're missing the point

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

it was a rhetorical question

what the gently caress was your point then

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

i knew someone would say this lol

china has been “the factory of the world” for many decades now, directly benefiting from every capitalist nation spending dollars generated by capitalism.

they certainly didn’t generate all that wealth and value themselves out of thin air, it’s only because the entire rest of the western world has put trillions into their economy

so where poverty has been alleviated anywhere in the world, it is by dint of a capitalist country having sent it a dollar at some point

alternatively: the entire rest of the western world enjoys its current standard of living solely because of its dependence on the output of a communist country.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I'm keeping the stupid Luxon postcard that came in the mail saying "I personally guarantee that if National gets in then we will do this", so that when they inevitably renege on most of them, I can spam it everywhere with the caption "SHOWS WHAT LUXON'S WORD IS REALLY WORTH HUH" which will definitely win people over

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
For my wife and I it was because it's our first time being eligible to vote and we wanted to do it on the official day.

I didn't get a sticker though so I'm bummed

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Gonna have to pull my finger out and start attending the local Greens meetings again. I really don't have an excuse anymore (not that I ever had over to begin with except being lazy)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

bike tory posted:

https://twitter.com/MorganGodfery/status/1713724394420511098

Is there even anyone left following on NZ twitter other than Emmy Rākete?

You're still using twaxter?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I'm looking forward to the speed limits all going up again around here, costing more money to redo the signs and traffic management. It's great that we're gonna have a poo poo government because people love driving fast and killing each other to get to kfc or whatever.
Also it's weird that people who love cars and utes and make it their whole personality are compaining about having to spend a few minutes longer driving them. Wouldn't spending more time in their reason for existence make them happier?

I'm going to continue driving at the lower of the posted limit (even when it's 30 on a state highway) or what I feel is a safe speed, which is usually a case of "holy gently caress this road cannot support its posted 100 limit, I'm doing 70-80", and the Rangers that tailgate me through those sections can lick me where I fart.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Slavvy posted:

Or you could make it safer for everyone and just pull over when the opportunity presents itself

Righteousness isn't armour

I do that too, but there isn't always a spot where you can. Of course the Rangers would prefer you drive into the ditch and let them roar past rather than slow down a bit until the road widens again.

And if the posted limit is 30 with cones on both sides then they can go gently caress themselves, I'm not going to get a speeding ticket just so they can get to their next beer a tenth of a second sooner.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
You don't always have a place to pull over and in that time, when you are unable to pull over, Rangers will still be tailgating and frothing at the mouth. Is this so hard to understand?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
<---------

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Business Egg himself owns like seven properties, doesn't he? Why can't he use his own resources to solve the problem he himself created instead of leeching off the generosity of the state? It's just encouraging dependency on handouts and an unwillingness to work.

Wait, I'm getting passed a note here. It's not good for the gander? Well that's news to me

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Content to Hover posted:

I am looking forward to the moment where Luxon has set up a press briefing to announce the coalition, then Winston adds one last condition. No idea what it will be, but it's going to hurt ACT.

:pray:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

My wife asked me if the government formed yet and now I can't get "how is govvy formed" out of my head.

how is govvy formed

how leadder get mandaete

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Man, Seymour is such a whiny britches about renewable energy:
"Repeal the Clean Car Discount."
"Work to replace fuel excise taxes with electronic road user charging for all vehicles, starting with electric vehicles."

Such a testicle. Why are fragile men so attached to petrol engines in gigantic fuckoff trucks? What makes your brain look at those and think "I will make that a defining part of my identity"?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

klen dool posted:

How else will they manage domestic sewer demand

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I think the Spinoff or someone today described them as "the Ctrl+Z coalition" and that's just so spot on. I'm stealing it

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Content to Hover posted:

Aotearoa New Zealand Politics: absolute dogshit govt

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

maybe that’s ok?? like is the size of govt labour left the ideal amount? this is not a rhetorical question, there is actually an “ideal” amount of public sector spending and idk if the previous govt was actually at that ideal or over it

The people that ask this question are, like the :laffo: curve believers, uniformly of the belief that the "ideal" amount is way off to the left of the graph from now. Without exception.

Unrelated: Hey here's another way tenants are going to get hosed by National! So they are proposing or implementing (forget which) retroactive tax deductibility for mortgage interest for landlords. Or in other words: Rich landlors are getting a *upper lip curls* handout from the government! Now, how many of those landlords who raised rents "because the government has raised the cost of my mortgage!!11!!1!!!!1" going to pass the savings back through to the tenants in the form of a refund? crickets

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

a lot of people at my workplace have an awful sense of general responsibility, especially people who grew up in other cultures. the break room is a total mess and rubbish is overflowing in the bin but most people will do nothing about it at all. oh well

Weird, our dog just started barking up a storm for some reason

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

echinopsis posted:

sorry to piss you off dude. i’ll just unsubscribe myself from the thread. as far as I can tell it’s not like anyone here really enjoys my company anyway lol

If you can't take the mildest engagement with and criticism of your ideas then sure, don't let the door hit you on the way out

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

carrionman posted:

only joined the national party because labour were the ones who brought in TP

That sounds like bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lobsterpillar posted:

Maybe these people are just single issue politicians who have jumped onto the National ship in the slim hopes of getting their single issue sorted.

That's the impression I get, with a dash of "I'll go with whichever party that'll help me get into power", like the yanks that switch parties.

Both major parties are different enough that it doesn't sit right with me for someone to just switch their support for any reason other than selfishness (or a significant change in personal circumstances or outlook, like becoming a landlord or a lolbertarian thinking their ideas through and becoming a leftist).