Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Spiteski posted:

Man I wish housing was attainable.
We've got like 150k deposit, but houses in our area or within "can reasonably get to work in 1h.30 commute" would put our fortnightly repayments at close on 3 grand.

Not really sure what we're going to do long term. It's only a matter of time until rent catches up and we're just as hosed. Australia maybe?
Yeah it's always just out of reach. Now I can probably get approval to almost buy a kind of lovely but liveable house, 4 years ago I could almost get approval to buy a lovely but liveable house. In that time my income has gone up just enough to keep me in the almost able to buy category. Meanwhile we've moved 3 times from rental to rental. Fortunately we've been renting cheap but our luck is going to run out next time we move (likely in the next year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

The one thing National won't make an election issue is anything that could be solved by increasing the government spend.

What about more roads?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Also you have to pay out of pocket for a vasectomy

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

"They'll do the absolute bare minimum because."
That about sums up the current approach. Either you do the bare minimum and bump rents up as high as you like or you do the bare minimum and you can't and so I guess you sell your unit?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Yeah we're in the midst of a property purchase and the lawyer is somewhat insistent I should use my KiwiSaver. I see it as at least something I have for my future, otherwise I got basically nothing.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Yeah I initially discounted it, but that extra money would definitely help with payments. I either access it now or when I'm 65 or whatever. Hmm.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Boy I sure am excited for when my grocery bill drops from 320$ to 315$ before being re-absorbed by countdown. That will really help! Cheers, Chippy!

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Yeah I notice they don't have many signs up meanwhile there are like a billion national signs and racist act signs everywhere

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

klen dool posted:

I was.in Queenstown and Wanaka last weekend and all I saw were act and nats and stop 3 waters all over the show.

Oh and one NZ first
Yeah I was in Wanaka as well and lots of natact signs (many vandalised). The drive from sh1 is always full of stop 3 waters signs and some random ones against the UN (?)

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

3/4 of the National party
Business potatoes

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Maybe I'm daft but are there that many vehicles with 60L tanks?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Most "full size" family cars

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Anything non-hybrid that's say, Camry sized or above. (Hybrid Camry is 50l, petrol FWD in other markets is 60l). Ranger is 80l for comparison. Landcruiser 300 110l. RAV4 petrol 55l.

I guess having a Toyota wish (7 seater, so solid family car) for the last 10 years has messed me up but that seems a lot of petrol to lug around.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/act-promises-scrap-building-consent-process

"The Act Party says it will allow builders to opt out of council building consents to improve the supply, quality and cost of housing"

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Everything I can find suggests first and second gen Wish both have a 60l tank also.
Hmm good to know. I don't think I've ever put in 50+ but also

bssoil posted:

I'm daft

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Technically correct...many young people leave universities with doctorates, and are always supervised by academics. QED.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

I am going on a tramp to a hut Saturday night and I hope there will be no reception. While I look forward to the insanity of a dysfunctional coalition, it certainly won't help this country at all.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

:munch:

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Just in case anyone was wondering, the estimates on homes.co.nz are still 100% real estate agent bullshit:

guess when that house was put on the market

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

bike tory posted:

three more years of quotes like this folks

also TIL that sanitarium doesn't pay income tax because it's a church and a registered charity??
Yeah gently caress sanitarium, don't eat wheatbix or Marmite

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

There were go

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

klen dool posted:

LOL so now the govt is straight up gonna have a database of all our movements great well done
I mean they could just ask, usually it's at around 8 am

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Also incredibly pro landlord
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/mum-brain-tumour-evicted-home-listed-days-later-higher-rent

At least the tenant got some recompense from those pieces of poo poo, but soon enough that will be no more

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

I thought 70$/1000 was about the cost paid at the petrol pump for a normal vehicle. But hitting the hybrids with the same is definitely culture war poo poo

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Ouch I didn't read that, but that's a bunch of bullshit. Shocking from this government.

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

What needs to be done is n overall assessment of the outputs of vehicles (carbon, pm, construction, etc), damage to the road, healthcare costs, and so on and use that data to formulate ruc charges. Seems fair, so it will never happen

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Considering the petrol companies know people can afford 260/L this sounds like a great way for them to pocket more cash when the ruc tax is removed

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Lobsterpillar posted:

Fortunately this isn't an issue with residential pest control. Imagine if the guy you get in to deal with a rat infestation insists that you keep a breeding pair alive
Uhhh maybe countdown Woolworths should find a new pet management team

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Don't worry team, they might get Elong Mollusk on the drilling job

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

A useful guide for the curious:

https://thespinoff.co.nz/kai/08-05-2024/a-definitive-list-of-woke-and-non-woke-foods

https://thespinoff.co.nz/kai/08-05-2024/a-definitive-list-of-woke-and-non-woke-foods posted:

Apple = NOT WOKE

Avocado = WOKE

Avocado, smashed = EVEN WOKER

Banana = NOT WOKE

Beans, baked = NOT WOKE

Beans, non-baked = WOKE

Burger = NOT WOKE

Cheese, colby, edam, mild, tasty = NOT WOKE

Cheese, other = WOKE

Cheese roll = NOT WOKE

Chickpeas = WOKE

Chips, hot = NOT WOKE

Chips, packet (ready salted, salt and vinegar or chicken flavour) = NOT WOKE

Chips, packet (all other flavours) = WOKE

Chocolate, Whittaker’s Miraka Kirīmi = WOKE

Chocolate, other = NOT WOKE

Couscous = WOKE

Crackers, rice, “specialty”, seeded = WOKE

Crackers, Snax, Salada, Meal Mates = NOT WOKE

Curry = WOKE

Doughnut, cream = NOT WOKE

Hot dog, battered = NOT WOKE

Hummus = WOKE

Jerky, beef = NOT WOKE

Jerky, plant-based beef = SURPRISINGLY NOT WOKE

Lamb = NOT WOKE

Lentils = WOKE

Lettuce, iceberg = NOT WOKE

Lettuce, fancy, mesclun, cos = WOKE

Luncheon sausage = NOT WOKE

Meat = NOT WOKE

Meat wrapped in meat = EVEN MORE NOT WOKE

Milk, cow’s = NOT WOKE

Milk, soy, oat, almond etc = WOKE

Muffin = NOT WOKE

Nut butter, non-peanut = WOKE

Pasta, canned (spaghetti) = NOT WOKE

Pasta, real (spaghetti) = WOKE

Peanut butter, crunchy = WOKE

Peanut butter, smooth = NOT WOKE

Pesto, basil = WOKE

Pesto, basil, wrapped in at least two kinds of meat = NOT WOKE

Pie = NOT WOKE

Pizza, $3.99 from Pizza Hut = NOT WOKE

Pizza, spaghetti-topped = NOT WOKE

Pizza, other = WOKE
Bill English’s spaghetti-topped pizza (Photo: Bill English)

Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah = WOKE

Quinoa, pronounced kwin-oh-ah = WOKE but somehow less so

Sandwich, butter and mayo only, no other spreads = NOT WOKE

Salad, word (draft curriculum) = WOKE

Sausage, in white bread = NOT WOKE

Sausage roll = NOT WOKE

Scone, cheese = NOT WOKE

Shaved ham = NOT WOKE

Spice, all = WOKE

Sushi = WOKE

Toast, with non-woke spread = NOT WOKE

Toffee Pops = NOT WOKE