Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Pretty sure we have banned rappers for less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

A point that was made was these people say they are standing up for women. But they are completely silent on the real issues affecting women, like pay parity, access to healthcare etc. The only thing they are wanting is to hate on a group of people they see as outsiders.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

klen dool posted:

I got to "biological women" and instinctively hit the back button in disgust

I got as far as “Trans woke dogma” before closing it in disgust/frustration. I don’t really know why I expected anything other than hand wringing apologies to the Nazis from bomber.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...nday%20evening.

Thank you for the names! Found an article about the incident. I don't know about them doing nothing wrong though? Was it overblown maybe? But it was still a lovely comment from her.

I think the producers told her to be the mean Simon Cowell style judge and talk poo poo to the contestants. She was just even more unlikable than he is. Then when there was a backlash the producers hung her out to dry.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If money can be considered to be speech, then soup can be considered to be speech as well.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/SimeonBrownMP/status/1640605201404133377

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Obviously the free market prefers Williams, Plunkett, etc.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Spiteski posted:

I am not an economist... but that sounds absolutely bonkers right? Like, can someone explain this like I am an idiot? (I am) why there is a MINIMUM unemployment?

Another argument for having a pool of unemployed people ready to work is that if a company wants to grow and increase production then they can take on new employees easily. If there were no unemployment then they would have to attract employees from another enterprise. This would decrease the productivity of that company. So the economy won’t grow under that scenario. So there is an argument in favour of having a pool of labour ready to deploy. How we as a society treat those people is left outside of this analysis.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

What is the bet the iPad had been an issue for a while but he either never said anything or never gave an opportunity for someone to actually fix it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If the manager wanted him to take the break sooner they should have made arrangements for him to do so. Also usually you can go up to 3 hours between breaks so it was within that time period.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

someone tell tradespeople this.

I have yet to meet a civilised tradie.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

left-wingers taking bribes shows their hypocrisy while right-wingers taking bribes shows their business acumen.

Look, this will just make Labour beholden to his radical extremist idea of not doing a racism. Now we can’t have our politicians be seen to be influenced in this way.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I thought the dirty politics wing was the Christian-fascist wing, or at least there was significant crossover. One of the reasons Whaleoil went so hard against Colin Craig was because he wanted National to occupy the space his Conservative Party was trying to be.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

The thing is having heard Willis talk on the issues a few times now. She is no where near the capability of Ardern. Ardern was able to show a depth of knowledge in interviews and convey empathy with ease. Willis keeps being exposed as almost as shallow and empty as Luxon in each media appearance.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I keep seeing this other lady mentioned in the news. She must be doing something right to generate such a buzz.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Xik posted:

it's wet

Oh gently caress and just saw a school did an outdoor education caving trip in this and a student was swept away.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Who's Todd Muller

He is the guy whose interjection prompted Chlöe Swarbrick to reply “OK boomer”

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/rugbyintel/status/1658267857673945088

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

We have a video game industry?

Or is this just whatever laundering is being done by whoever made Bloons

Yes, we have places like Cerebral fix who make shovelware under contract for studios like Disney to make the lovely movie tie in games for each animated movie they produce.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

given the savings you would think they're of interest to politicians who don't want to fund health services too

If reducing funding required was the actual goal you would be right. But what if they want to punish the poors and/or push consumers to a foreign owned for profit company?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

COVID basically proved that most people don't know how to read studies anyway.

Are you sure? I might do my own research on this.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I thought the PPTA had just suspended all planned action as they were considering a new offer that came to them just after the budget was announced.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lobsterpillar posted:

You could weasel your way around it by measuring wait times as "time until triaged" rather than "time until treated" and then just front load triage staff, when the reality is you'll still be sitting around at the hospital for most of the day.

I think in Britain the NHS had a requirement for patients to be seen by a medical professional within a certain timeframe. They got around this by hiring a nurse as a glorified greeter in the ED.
Also National absolutely would make ED waiting times an issue. They would not pledge more money or resources to actually fix issues in healthcare etc. But talk about brining in their business experience to find efficiencies and make it all better. Maybe talk about opening things up to private competition to make it better and cheaper. Of course it will all be a failure but they have run these bullshit lines in the past.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is one thing for the agreement to promise smaller class sizes. But can they actually deliver on it? The big issue the PPTA is worried about is recruitment and retention. At the moment there just aren’t enough people going in to teaching as a career and many who had are leaving fairly early. They want a big pay increase to make it an attractive career to allow them to recruit to have smaller classes and more release time etc.
Also a teacher’s life isn’t jus teaching teaching teaching. There is so much other stuff they are having to do. The time in and preparing for the classroom is maybe half their job.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

let me tell you about horseshoe theory...

Sure, just drop the link to your Stuff opinion piece on it.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I don’t think that actually is a chatbot. It is what they had to do when the account was banned for impersonation. I think it was originally called Chris Luxon Satire or something. When it came back from the ban it had the current name.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It was the thing your racist uncle who is now on Facebook heard from a mate of a mate down at the pub.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lol, landlords are not exactly known for going the extra mile. Doing the absolute bare minimum is what being a landlord is all about.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Perfect analogy for our political climate. It seems to be the same the world over. In The US it is republicans twisting things to the right and the democrats stopping things coming back left. In the UK it is Tory/Labour etc.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Serephina posted:

If this thread hates stuff.com so much, why are they constantly being posted? Why are you reading their site?!

Stuff is bad, low quality editing and fact checking often. Too eager to parrot right wing talking points and attack the left based on hyperbole. The others are just worse at all of that.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I think they make zero margin on tobacco sales. Instead they are paid by the cigarette companies an allowance for the amount of space taken up but the stock. This is based on how busy it is etc. It is also a draw to get customers in the door to buy an over priced chocolate bar or a pie etc.
The allowance wasn’t even that much. Back when I worked at a supermarket ( a very long time ago) they were talking about dropping cigarettes as the amount they got for holding them was so low, it was deemed the work done to keep them stocked etc cost more. In the end they didn’t because they new if they didn’t sell them a big chunk of the customers would go to Pak N Save for their groceries instead.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ah yes, political interference in regulatory bodies always leads to more efficiency and no negative outcomes.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

feijoas suck rear end

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

I can see alot of the national party telling him to gently caress off at some point but luxon seems like such an incredible push over and that's what worries me more than anything.

This is something the media is not picking up on. Like this week he couldn’t even push back with a child misspelling a word. Similar with the non action with Uffindel and Kuriger. He just doesn’t seem to be capable of saying no to people directly. I guess in the past he would have had underlings to handle that sort of thing for him.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

It is easy to forget that Key's success hinged on the perception that he mitigated the impact of the 2008 global financial crisis here.

That really annoys me because NZ got through that because Cullen had our economy in a state to weather such a storm. National just came in and claimed the glory while they then hosed up our super scheme etc that he set up. Although I guess that is what you would expect from National after Muldoon killed one in the 70s.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Key basically pinned all the poo poo rightwing stuff on Act when they basically only had John Banks.I am sure they will keep doing the same thing.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Slavvy posted:

That depends are the three nations good guys or bad guys

If the SIS is looking at this then they are bad guys undermining our election. If it was the good guys, that is just normal lobbying among friends.
However don’t forget most of the cookers are getting their poo poo either directly or indirectly from overseas interests looking to sow chaos.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I don’t know if the SIS have provided evidence. But the independent disinformation researchers have been talking about this for a few years now. A lot of the antivax people are getting the same talking points and some have had some money come from unknown sources to continue their BS.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I am sure ExMarx will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

They are only asking for more pay to attract more people to the profession. Most schools have op pen vacancies they are just not getting suitable applicants for. Simple market economics says if there is a shortage you increase the price to attract more supply. The government is unwilling to do this.